PDA

View Full Version : Rototilling before sod?

tamo
05-23-2007, 11:56 PM
This is my first year and I've done 4 sod jobs so far and they've all turned out great. I've always tilled up the existing soil, added loam/compost and then rolled it before laying the sod.

I've recently read on here that some folks don't like tilling before sodding because it can cause lumps, uneven areas ect... what are your opinions on this. I'm bidding on a sod job tomorrow where the yard is already cleared of everything and leveled. I could probably just throw fresh soil down and go from there. I do like tilling though because I've had success with it and I like the idea of "freshening" the soil.

thanks

MJStrain
05-28-2007, 11:18 PM
This is my first year and I've done 4 sod jobs so far and they've all turned out great. I've always tilled up the existing soil, added loam/compost and then rolled it before laying the sod.

I've recently read on here that some folks don't like tilling before sodding because it can cause lumps, uneven areas etc... what are your opinions on this. I'm bidding on a sod job tomorrow where the yard is already cleared of everything and leveled. I could probably just throw fresh soil down and go from there. I do like tilling though because I've had success with it and I like the idea of "freshening" the soil.

thanks

I've tried the tilling before sodding and couldn't tell any difference from just tossing the sod down. That's with a cleared lawn. If you have a lot of rocks and debris however, then more help for the new sod the better.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
a harley rake turns dirt to fine dust....