PDA

View Full Version : 1st upgrade from a 21 inch

green-pa
05-24-2007, 01:07 AM
I only am cutting with a 21in now and am wondering what is the next size u guys think I should get. Most of my current customers are 1/8-1/4 acre lots.
I'm thinking a 36 wb would be the most logical and affordable choice as I could use it to cut back times on most existing jobs and if need be could use my small 21 as a back up. Of course I'd like to have a 48 or bigger Z, a 36 and 48 in wb, and big trailer, but all that would be over 10 grand and I'm having to probably finance this so I'm trying to keep in as small a debt as possible but yet still help me do my jobs faster as well as get me in a bit bigger neighborhoods. I have about 25-30 regular weekly-bi-weekly customers now. So would the 36 be the best first upgrade or should I go larger like a 42 or 48?

lurch
05-24-2007, 02:14 AM
i'm in the same boat myself...i'm trying to stay out of debt, but i also want to grow a little bit...

i think i will go for a 36" first because it can fit through "most" gates...
that size will cut my mowing time in half without cutting into my profit to much...

jbone
05-24-2007, 03:30 AM
I believe the largest you can fit in a full size pickup bed is a 48", I personally would go with a 36" In case you ever run into gates.

MeadowsLawnCare
05-24-2007, 03:32 AM
I say get a 36", It will cut your time greatly and you will still be able to get in gates and tighter areas.

EngineeredLawns
05-24-2007, 10:13 AM
I just got a 2 year old 36" toro T-bar WBH mower with about 25 hr on it for about $1600. It is great. I have a 48" Z but I am doing more and more small lots that have great lawns. The 36" goes thru the gates and gives a great cut, without being to big on the small yards. Some of the bigger yards, a 40 or 44" would be nice, but that would be to large for some gates. I use the Z when I am on a scrappy yard or cutting a large area, but the smaller high end yards, the poeple said they did not want all the weight of the Z on their yard.

violatorjf
05-24-2007, 02:26 PM
I just got a 2 year old 36" toro T-bar WBH mower with about 25 hr on it for about $1600. It is great. I have a 48" Z but I am doing more and more small lots that have great lawns. The 36" goes thru the gates and gives a great cut, without being to big on the small yards. Some of the bigger yards, a 40 or 44" would be nice, but that would be to large for some gates. I use the Z when I am on a scrappy yard or cutting a large area, but the smaller high end yards, the poeple said they did not want all the weight of the Z on their yard.

That's a heck of a deal with only 25hrs on it. payup

GPDesign1
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a good application for a Quick 36.

:drinkup:
gp

bohiaa
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
1/8th to 1/4 you may find your self weedeating more.....

you just wont be able to turn around tight corners and such.

sometimes bigger is NOT better

however it would let you expand to larger lawns.

but my expearance has been to get equiptment when there is a need.

just my 2 cents worth

green-pa
05-25-2007, 04:48 AM

How hard it it to turn around? Is it easier than the Z? What is the avg ground speed compared to a standard 21? I've heard units like the quick 36 can go around 4 mph whereas a basic 21 only 2mph.

mitw44
05-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I would say get a 32" gravely or toro. I mowed the first couple years with 21 inch mowers. The gravely was a natural step up for the smaller residential lawns I focus on.

Plus think of what size trailer you have to work with. A 32" and a 21" fit well on a 5x8 trailer.

SSS 18734
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I was in your situation a year and a half ago. You will love the upgrade from a 21" to a 36" walk-behind. Don't expect to cut your work time in half with one, though. Although I do find that for every two 1/4 acre lots I could do with a 21" mower, I can do three with the walkbehind, so it will indeed save you some time, and you will be significantly less tired. I remember I would be so tired after push mowing just 3 or 4 yards, but I can do ten with the walkbehind and barely break a sweat on a nice day.

As for the walkbehind size you should purchase, that depends on a few factors. First off, if most of your yards have 36" gates, go ahead and buy a 34" mower. But if only a few of them do, I would totally go with a bigger machine.

Also, if a large chunk of your yards are on slopes, I would suggest going with a hydro unit. Yes, it will cost you more, but belt drives really are a pain in the ass, even or relatively shallow slopes (a problem I'm experiencing now). And since you say most of your accounts are less than a quarter acre, a hydro will mean you will have to do less outlining and maneuvering. And hydros seem to pull sulkies more easily than a belt drive unit, so you'll have that option as well. Belt drives are also a pain to turn around unless you make lots of perimeter runs. It involves flexing your back muscles to swing one side of the mower towards you while letting the wheel spin the other side forward. Gets tiring. :weightlifter:

As for the mower, I'm sure any good machine will do. Personally, I would avoid pistol grips if at all possible as the ones on my 34" Gravely give me callouses and sore hands. But I still like the machine.

Good luck!

KS_Grasscutter
05-28-2007, 10:57 PM
I would get a 44 to 52 inch ZTR. Right now I have a 21" JX75, a 50 inch Dixon and a 33 inch Troy Bilt (that I kinda stole from another member on here...). I would say that I have about the ultimate setup for a part-time LCO. If I was full time I would prob. want a 36-40 inch ZTR too.