PDA

View Full Version : Which 21" commerical walk behind mower would you purchase today?

mlong30
05-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi All,

Looks like my Sears Craftsman's walk behind residential push mower is on its last leg, after 10 years with NO PROBLEMS/MAINTENANCE! Hopefully it will get me threw this summer, while I plan on getting a commercial push mower next year or during the winter season of this year.

I have two questions for you today….

1. Which 21" commercial mower would you purchase today, and why?

2. Where/Where can I get a good deal on one, if that’s even possible? Are there tradeshows/events I can go to purchase one, or is it better to purchase at local dealers during the up and coming winter season when the dealers are trying to clear their inventory?

Thanks.

Matt: A new commercial mower believer...

John Gamba
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi All,

Looks like my Sears Craftsman's walk behind residential push mower is on its last leg, after 10 years with NO PROBLEMS/MAINTENANCE! Hopefully it will get me threw this summer, while I plan on getting a commercial push mower next year or during the winter season of this year.

2. Where/Where can I get a good deal on one, if that’s even possible? Are there tradeshows/events I can go to purchase one, or is it better to purchase at local dealers during the up and coming winter season when the dealers are trying to clear their inventory?

Thanks.

You are better off with something like the toro Personal pace mower. the comm 21's are way to expensive

fritowrdo
05-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi All,

Thanks.

That depends on what you want to do with it and your budget.

I owned a Craftsman like you but only got 2 good years before it started nickel and diming me to death and finally bit the dust.

My usual dealer sent me to a commercial Toro dealer since I wanted to mostly mulch and I wanted the Kawasaki FJ180V engine. He had a commercial Snapper with that engine but he told me the Toro mulches better and I could get both features that I wanted with a commercial Toro.

I ended up purchasing Toro's 22164 from their new PT21 line. I added a grip handle and it cost around 800.

This unit runs circles around the Craftsman. I mow as fast as i want through thick and wet grass and it goes though it like butter. Not so with the Cratsman. I can mow my yard in almost half the time as the Cratsman.

I have only used the mower for two months but really like it. It starts on first pull and I only have to prime it once. That NEVER happened on the Craftsman.

Good luck on your purchase.

DCE
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Several months ago when I was once again in the market for a new 21 incher I decided to go the commercial route. Past couple mowers were Honda high end resi models, so I naturally considered the HRC216's. Then I visited two dealers in town that I know quite well. One guy sells Toro, the other Exmark. Both guys praised the Pro Line 21/Metro Commercial 21 units up and down. Now, you would think because they sell the equipment, but I've known these two guys for years and I know they won't bullshit me on anything.

I decided on the Exmark Metro 21, picked it up the day after I looked at it on the dealer floor. I was really impressed by the quality of build of the mower. It's tight and solid. There's the high quality Kawasaki FJ180V engine on it. Like I said, everything is solid on the mower. It wasn't until after the grass started growing till I saw the results. The mower cuts very well in mulching/bagging/side discharge modes. The Metro 21 also mulches like nobody's business. It really makes clippings disappear. Ground speed is pretty quick too compared with my old Honda Masters HR215. My dad has the Masters now, and when I mowed for my folks while they were away for vacation recently, I could not believe how slow the Honda is and that I actually mowed my yard with it :laugh: Overall, I am VERY impressed with the Exmark Metro 21. It's kinda pricey as far as 21" mowers go but you get a great performing, solidly built mower. Combine that with a dealer that I have 1000% confidence in, there was no way that I can screw up. We are in a drought here and I cannot play with my toy as much as I'd like to :cry:

DCE
05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
You are better off with something like the toro Personal pace mower. the comm 21's are way to expensive

I'd like to add that the PT21 fritowrdo has is basically a Super Recycler SR4 Personal Pace with the same wheels/tires as the Pro Line 21 HD's and a Kawasaki FJ180V engine. I saw a PT21 recently at another local Toro dealership and it seems to be a very nice mower. For those who can't budget in a $1,200 machine like the Metro 21 or Pro Line 21, this is your ticket. IIRC, $800 is about how much I spent on the Honda Masters HR215 back in the early 1990's.

John Gamba
05-25-2007, 07:45 AM
I'd like to add that the PT21 fritowrdo has is basically a Super Recycler SR4 Personal Pace with the same wheels/tires as the Pro Line 21 HD's and a Kawasaki FJ180V engine. I saw a PT21 recently at another local Toro dealership and it seems to be a very nice mower. For those who can't budget in a $1,200 machine like the Metro 21 or Pro Line 21, this is your ticket. IIRC, $800 is about how much I spent on the Honda Masters HR215 back in the early 1990's.

Its a nice mower:waving:

fritowrdo
05-28-2007, 12:41 AM

The $400 dollars that I saved over the the Proline was worth it for me. I was origanlly going to get the Toro 20057 model, till I started researching the FJ180V engine, but I almost balked at the 1200 price tag for the Proline. But I seen the PT21 line and got the features I wanted. A win-win in my book.

It looks like I will need the $400 for a new power blower since my Craftsman/Poulan 25cc blower is on the fritz. It drops RPMs after a few minutes but comes back up after a few seconds. It is also leaking 'oil', smokes a lot after running and shuts down hard. I thought the leaking oil was the fuel cap but I let it sit up for a few days and it did not leak. I think its a blown head gasket but since this is the 4th season with it, I will use it till it dies and get a commercial model.

DCE
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
It looks like I will need the $400 for a new power blower since my Craftsman/Poulan 25cc blower is on the fritz. It drops RPMs after a few minutes but comes back up after a few seconds. It is also leaking 'oil', smokes a lot after running and shuts down hard. I thought the leaking oil was the fuel cap but I let it sit up for a few days and it did not leak. I think its a blown head gasket but since this is the 4th season with it, I will use it till it dies and get a commercial model.

Cool. Got any particular ones you are looking at?

I've a friend of mine at work who has a 21" Crapsman self propelled WB, about 2 years old. And the transmission went out on him for the second time already :dizzy: It's currently in the shop getting fixed under warranty [thank goodness]. I was telling him the other day that when the warranty expires, there is no telling what else will go South on the mower. He could end up paying more to get the dang thing fixed than to splurge and buy a new, better mower and be done with it. I was telling him of the Toro Super Recycler SR4 with the Personal Pace. I get the impression that even $600 for that mower he thinks is too much...leave alone a PT21 and definitely the Proline 21's.

fritowrdo
05-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Cool. Got any particular ones you are looking at?

I've a friend of mine at work who has a 21" Crapsman self propelled WB, about 2 years old. And the transmission went out on him for the second time already :dizzy: It's currently in the shop getting fixed under warranty [thank goodness]. I was telling him the other day that when the warranty expires, there is no telling what else will go South on the mower. He could end up paying more to get the dang thing fixed than to splurge and buy a new, better mower and be done with it. I was telling him of the Toro Super Recycler SR4 with the Personal Pace. I get the impression that even $600 for that mower he thinks is too much...leave alone a PT21 and definitely the Proline 21's.

I have my eye on an Echo PB755 but I will probably end up getting a model similar to what you have.

The back of everyones lot in our neighborhood has trees and the winds mostly blow from west to east in our area. The neighbor to our east is the first one with a fence so the leaves usually stop in my yard and clog it up.

I do not like the leaves to pile up on my yard too long before I blow them away. I usually go through 6 full tanks of gas in fall and then another one in spring clean up. The rest of the time it is just cleaning up the driveway, sidewalk and breaking up some grass clumps when its wet out.

I took my Craftsman apart and it has a fouled spark plug but odd that it would do so after an hour and a half of use this season. Also have some carbon build up on the muffler along with some oil stains around the protective housing for the muffler.