PDA

View Full Version : Straight Liquid Pre-emergent

lawnspecialties
05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
This year I've picked up quite a bit of pre-emergent business for homeowners' garden and shrub areas. I've been using Treflan 5G granular so far. I don't really like the granular because I have to use my shoulder harness broadcast spreader to get the accuracy and even then, quite a bit overflows into the turf. No big deal but a waste of product.

What I'm wondering is how a Lesco tank sprayer with liquid Pendimethalin or something similar would work? It seems once the initial cost is over, I'd save money, get better and more even coverage, and might even get better results.

This is a fairly new thing I've been working at this year and although it's growing, I've got plenty to learn. Ya'll tell me what I'm missing if anything.

Also, would liquid Pendimethalin turn brown-dyed mulch yellow? Wouldn't a homeowner be impressed with that?:hammerhead:

indyturf
05-24-2007, 04:55 PM
You could use a backpack sprayer? I have mixed pend and round up to spray in beds and had good results. I dont think you would have to worry about turning the mulch yellow, but it would look bad in a rock garden or gravel landscape for a few weeks!

lawnspecialties
05-24-2007, 05:21 PM
You could use a backpack sprayer? I have mixed pend and round up to spray in beds and had good results. I dont think you would have to worry about turning the mulch yellow, but it would look bad in a rock garden or gravel landscape for a few weeks!

Yes, I've done the backpack sprayer before. But right now I have one yard that has a garden area that takes over 40 cubic yards of mulch. It's so curvy and has so many trees mulched by themselves, I couldn't even guess the square footage.

I also have a homeowner I'm working on a bid which is going to take 62 cubic yards of mulch. If they accept, I'll also be maintaining this garden area. I don't feel like dropping $3500 on a tank sprayer but I also don't have time to backpack spray all day. :)

Thanks

Nathan Robinson
05-24-2007, 05:40 PM
If you sprayed pendi in low volume out of a backpack you would turn rocks yellow with no doubt. I wouldnt get a tank sprayer just for beds. You can get a granular blower/spreadr. This actually sprays granulars for you and all you do is aim and hold a hose. Its pretty neat. The backpack sprayer is a good option. Use dimension over pendi man. Its non staining and so much better effective than Prodiamine and pendi. That woodlace isnt very good either. I am sure I will have some idiot lawn jacks commenting about how I said pendi and prodiamine are junk but you do the research on that for yourself. Lokk up google prodiaminevsdimension and view all of the results in every climate.

DUSTYCEDAR
05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
a 25 gal spot sprayer and a car battery do the trick for cheep and use dimension

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
05-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I used Pendi for the first time this year and it was raining when I did it. The dogs still had yellow feet from it though, next year I will be switching to something else.

lilmarvin4064
05-25-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree with dusty. get a 25 - 50 gallon sprayer w/ electric pump, and a hose reel. The dimension 2EW is good choice. I'm off of pendi for good (white vinyl makes me nervous). I've used snapshot w/ great results and stonewall w/ good results, but was leaning towards Surflan, next year I might use the 2EW for everything (maybe even w/ Gallery :) )