PDA

View Full Version : How Long Should a Brake Controller Last?

hoyoman
05-24-2007, 03:38 PM
I just noticed that the brake controller on my truck is not working...no lights, no readout. I am getting power to the unit, but it's not working at all...no brakes on trailer. Controller is 8 years old and has worked great until now...it's a Tekonsha Voyager. Anyone else have a controller just stop working or go dead? Is there a certain life span on these electronic controllers?

Dstosh
05-25-2007, 06:00 PM
Check the plug on the truck, The wire for the electronic brakes may be broken

cm82pa
05-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I Work at a dealership (parts money), we specialize in Dodge Trucks. Almost every truck we sell I install a break box in it. There have been a few occasions where one that were on the truck when it came in didn't work. Ive also had to replace ones that I put on a few years ago. So the do go bad but always check the wires first. Easiest way is with a test light.

Rizzo
05-25-2007, 11:01 PM
You said you have power to the unit but have you checked the ground that it uses? Just throwing that out there. I have the same controller and bought it used off ebay. It's the second voyager I've had but in different trucks. None of the ones I have used ever stopped working I just sold them with the truck.

SiteSolutions
05-28-2007, 02:10 AM
Just bought a truck with a Voyager already in it. (I already had them in two other trucks.) Same problem you are seeing: no lights, no nothing. Two late nights of crawling around under the truck with a trouble light isolated bad wiring at the socket - actually in the socket.

I would use a METER - not a test light - to look for +12v on the output from the brake controller. Check it up front first. If you find 12 volts there, check at the socket at the back of the truck. If you find it there, then you probably have a bad brake wire or ground on the trailer. If you don't have 12 volts at the socket, but you do have it at the output from the controller, then it's a bad wire on your truck somewhere.

hoyoman
05-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Everyone...and SiteSolutions...thanks for the VERY useful information...I'm getting ready to do some more troubleshooting today on the problem and your info will at least give me a place to start. I'll post the problem when I find it...and thanks again, everyone.

Rizzo
05-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Ya know, I forgot but I had the same thing happen with the rear harness melting/shorting out on my 02' f150. Took alot of cussing at the controller and found it was the new harness I had installed and not the voyager. Good luck. The only way I found what it was was by trying a new harness after testing where the plugs are near the rear axle.

KTO Enterprises
05-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Check your grounds on the trailer. I have seen this time and time again. You were probably getting a ground through the ball. But rust or grease could change that. Check all grounds. That is usually number 1 problem.

SiteSolutions
05-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Oh yeah, KTO is right on: definitely check your grounds! All sorts of crazy stuff happens when grounds get loose, corroded, something snags a wire under the trailer, etc...