PDA

View Full Version : creeping Charlie (ground ivy) -- best kill?

americanlawn
05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
When do you get the best kill on it? What herbicide do you prefer?

(we use Chaser ester, and on hot days, we actually get 100% kill once in awhile)

Seems homeowners cannot buy the stuff we use over the counter?

RSCVP please. Thanks.

Grandview
05-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Surge has worked the best. I get 95% control or better, even under poor conditions. I have not tried a lot of herbicides. The other two herbicides I have used are Confront and Three-ways.

Nathan Robinson
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM
ester bases are dangerous when it is hot outside. thats why the first ester was called cool power...lol... I have tried this new herbicide and I think it is the best on the market. I really do. Its Gordans ProForm Q-4. Kills sedges, broadleafs and grassy weeds all at the same time. Its a 4way so it is way better than any other 3way. try it and thank me later.

Runner
05-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I use 3 way and spike it with confront using .25oz/M. For residential, I use Momentum FX as a spike.

Grandview
05-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Runner, Give Surge a try. I think it is better than Confront.

Runner
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks. I may do that. Are you referring to using it as a spike?

Rlclawnguy
05-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Speedzone works very well here.

teeca
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
i like cool power, or chasser... both give great resaults

chimmygew
05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
I've had great results with MecAmine-D

teeca
05-25-2007, 03:31 PM
I've had great results with MecAmine-D

i've used it before, just takes a couple of hits, i will say it's better then anyother 3-way amine product out there. jmo

americanlawn
05-25-2007, 06:44 PM
chimmygew & teeca, We've tried Mecamine-D, Trimec 899, and LESCO 3-way. Earlier this spring we used Mecamine-D. We have lately switched to ester cuz the difficult weeds are out.

My UAP guy says Mecamine-D is exactly the same as the other two. Is there a difference? (if mecamine-d is better, we'll run with it).

Thanks!

teeca
05-25-2007, 07:25 PM
chimmygew & teeca, We've tried Mecamine-D, Trimec 899, and LESCO 3-way. Earlier this spring we used Mecamine-D. We have lately switched to ester cuz the difficult weeds are out.

My UAP guy says Mecamine-D is exactly the same as the other two. Is there a difference? (if mecamine-d is better, we'll run with it).

Thanks!

if you look at the lables, the %'s are different (atleast until they were bought out/merged). i use trimec 992 for amine, and cool power or lesco 3-way ester 2. using amine, imo is ok (cost wise, and i will use it in my PG to spot spray if needed in the summer temps) but i do a fall app of cool power, then again in the late spring, and i'm lucky to have a single weed all summer, fact is the amines just don't handle the tuff weeds that well. i had 3 properties out of 30 that had dandylions, and there were about 10 on each (keep in mind these properties ajoin empty fields full of dandies, and are over 600k), so i'm pretty happy since going this route.

americanlawn
05-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks teeca.

tdkx
05-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Confront=Clopyralid=no longer labeled for use outside of golf courses. Just so you know. Coolpower is also Lesco Eliminate and is really good if expensive product. Speedzone is amazing but has an ester 2,4 D in it so watch your temps if you use it. I've applied Speedzone Red in very warm temps but I use a backpack sprayer to spot apply as cost is an issue. My thought is that Speedzone is too expensive to blanket an entire property with. I'm working with Lesco Octane now which makes Surge what it is. Most of my spray properties don't really need to be spiked though as I try to time things where three-way, tri-mec or mecamine-D take out most of the garbage plant material. Lesco Momentum will take out the creeping charlie(ground ivy) if you use max rate(1.5 ounces/thousand square ft) and a sticker on actively growing plants. The key is "actively growing plant".

tremor
05-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Lesco Eliminate is not Coolpower. The closest thing Lesco has to Coolpower is Threeway Ester 2.

J&T Kiev
05-27-2007, 11:21 PM
I use Cool power, very effective, less cost then speedzone.

green_mark
05-28-2007, 08:59 AM
We set up a program to take care of Creeping Charlie because it is always going to come back unless you have on ongoing management program.

Step One - We lime at 25lbs/1,000 to raise soil pH and aid in improved drainage.

Step Two - We spray the Green Guardian once ever 7 - 10 days for 3 treatments. This gets the weed and fertilizes the grass to thicken in very quickly.

Step Three - At the last application we over-seed the area to aid in the Turf development.

We get a real decent amount of money for this and what is nicest is that it is one of our top selling programs...much from neighbors who have tried every service in town and finally see the results they want.

G.M.Landscaping
10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Has anyone used quicksilver with any results?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Confront=Clopyralid=no longer labeled for use outside of golf courses. Just so you know.

WRONG-Confront is not for use on residential turf-Still OK for commercial turf, athletic fiels, etc. Only in California, Washington & Oregon is it restricted to golf courses....Just so you know.

RAlmaroad
10-05-2007, 03:52 AM
Any suggestions for a kill in centipede or St. Augustine?

ThreeWide
10-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Manor is excellent for ground ivy and several other difficult weeds.

rcreech
10-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Has anyone used quicksilver with any results?

AWESOME product!

I add QS to every PG tank. I go 55 oz of Three Way and 1 oz of QS/acre.

You will start to see results in about 3-4 days (which the customer loves) and also does a great job on harder to kill weeds such as Ground Ivy and Wild Violet!

GREAT PRODUCT!

kenel
10-06-2007, 12:25 PM
You're going to want to spray as late in the fall as you can with one of PBI gordon's "professional series" products -- i.e. speedzone. This will give you a pretty decent long-term control over ground ivy. It's a pain in the ass once you get it though

topsites
10-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Double concentrated Round-up on a sunny day, it's done.

LindblomRJ
10-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Double concentrated Round-up on a sunny day, it's done.

Along with everthing else too. You really want to re seed a lawn?

naughty62
10-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I like cool power if theres violets on the poperty too. chaser or simular poduct with 2 ,4,d ester base with triclopyr

americanlawn
10-07-2007, 03:52 PM
I like cool power if theres violets on the poperty too. chaser or simular poduct with 2 ,4,d ester base with triclopyr

Exact ditto with us too. Been using Chaser ester a long time..hate to switch cuz it works for us.

Check http://www.whoradio.com/pages/shows/gardening today

I lsten to it when I mow our 2 lawns on Sundays (radio headset).

It's hosted every Sunday morning by two State extensionists. Today a guy called in regarding best way to get rid of creeping Charlie. He used Trimec to no avail. The female host said to spray Trimec three times (each time 2 weeks apart), but wait until late October to early November to begin spraying. (concerned about warm temps & damage to ornamentals).

My concern there would be leaf cover on lawns as well as possible snow by the time the last one or two sprays are recommended. She did say she prefers 2-4D + trichlopir, but she never distinguished between amine or ester:confused:

But if one follows Federal guidlines per label restrictions: TWO treatments maximum allowed by law per year. I guess these State guys have their knowledge, but us lawn guys have ours. I prefer us lawn guys.:waving:

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
10-07-2007, 04:17 PM
But if one follows Federal guidlines per label restrictions: TWO treatments maximum allowed by law per year.

Most labels I've seen say 2 Blanket apps. per year max. If you are treating isolated areas as a spot treatment, this wouln't apply....:)

willietd2
10-08-2007, 11:39 AM
i love the Q4, eliminates alot of headaches. i also get good results with three way and momentum fx. i also use sticker in everything