PDA

View Full Version : Duramax experts??

FiveOJoe
05-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Twice in the past 3 weeks my Duramax shut down while running. It would then crank but not fire. Both times I was at about an eighth to quarter tank of fuel.(3 -6 gals left) Both times I ended up getting towed to the dealer. 36,500 miles.

The dealer blamed it on the fuel filter the first time and he really wasn't convincing. The filter had 8000 miles on it , but after the second time he was stumped. He then told me the truck had a low oil sensor ( like a Honda) and it was low on oil. It was two quarts low (right near the bottom of the stick). I told him I doubted that was the problem and that I never heard of a Duramax having a low oil sensor. He then changed the subject and said fuel looked like off-road fuel, and I also doubt that. I gas up a either a station that doesn't sell it(off-road), or the Pennsy Turnpike on racedays.

He said he re-primed the system, which appeared to be air-bound, but could not tell me what exactly is causing this.

Any ideas. I have a feeling it's related to being low on fuel.

Joe

Bill Kapaun
05-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Vehicles that are driven on the road don't have a low oil shut off!
Think of the carnage that could cause with engines shutting down at inappropriate times!

FiveOJoe
05-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Vehicles that are driven on the road don't have a low oil shut off!

Yeah, I kinda called BS on that too. :rolleyes:

mini14
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
check fer codes

FiveOJoe
05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
check fer codes

They claim none. Can I check codes myself, like on a Corvette?

mini14
05-27-2007, 07:11 AM
for $150 get yerself a can/obdII reader.

heritage
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Twice in the past 3 weeks my Duramax shut down while running. It would then crank but not fire. Both times I was at about an eighth to quarter tank of fuel.(3 -6 gals left) Both times I ended up getting towed to the dealer. 36,500 miles.

The dealer blamed it on the fuel filter the first time and he really wasn't convincing. The filter had 8000 miles on it , but after the second time he was stumped. He then told me the truck had a low oil sensor ( like a Honda) and it was low on oil. It was two quarts low (right near the bottom of the stick). I told him I doubted that was the problem and that I never heard of a Duramax having a low oil sensor. He then changed the subject and said fuel looked like off-road fuel, and I also doubt that. I gas up a either a station that doesn't sell it(off-road), or the Pennsy Turnpike on racedays.

He said he re-primed the system, which appeared to be air-bound, but could not tell me what exactly is causing this.

Any ideas. I have a feeling it's related to being low on fuel.

Joe

Joe,

Take it to the Dealer.

Ask them about the "Technical Bulletin" for the fuel tank problem.

It's covered under warranty. You have 2 fuel tanks....there is a valve/relay that goes bad, so fuel won't get pumped from one tank to other tank.

My dad had same problem on his with only 8,000 mi. Never a prob since Dealer Repair. Now over 80,000 mi, with lot's o' smiles......He love's that 4500.

Dealer.

Pete D.