PDA

View Full Version : Marine 2 Cycle Oil

HydroCutter
05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Can I used 2 Cycle oil that says it is certified for marine purposes in our 2 cycle engines?

There is a gallon of it here

http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore.com/78-499-2-cycle-oil.aspx?iorb=4764

For 26$.

tacoma200
05-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I've used Quick Silver by Mercury marine for years. It is approved for air cooled engines though and many brands are not. Never had a 2 cycle break down from using it and its approved for all air cooled engines.

KTO Enterprises
05-24-2007, 09:17 PM
What a smart idea. I never thought about it. What is the cost comparison and does it seem to burn cleaner?

tacoma200
05-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I know in the boating world quicksilver has the best reputation and when they changed it to TCW 3 they approved it for multi purpose use. Chain saws, trimmers, etc. I buy a gallon and pour it into the small stihl containers and always have it ready. I'm not saying it's the best out there but I have never had any problem in all the years I've used it. No fouled plugs, starting problems, etc. I think it's $15-$20 per gallon and since I use it in the boat it comes in handy.

lawnboy dan
05-24-2007, 10:04 PM
hey another quicksilver user! i have used it for many years too. no problems . best marine oil i have ever seen. i bought a bunch of gallon jugs at sams for 10$ per gal several years ago -still using it up . i dont run it in my new sthil 4 mix engines cause the manual says not to use tcw3 oil. works fine in everything else