PDA

View Full Version : Sink hole help

MichaelMG
05-24-2007, 10:23 PM
One of my customers has a sink hole that formed recently in there back yard. It is about 5ft. diameter and about 30" to 36" deep. I need some help as to how to fill this hole properly. The property is in Western MD. I was going to fill it and seed or sod over the fresh dirt. Is there any suggestions to avoid having it settle later.

Thanks for help.
Mike

forestfireguy
05-24-2007, 10:46 PM
It souns like and old tree stump, if not from a removed tree then maybe there was some kind of construction and the excavator buried a stump that they had to tear out. Either way just about anything you do will be temporary and only last a few years, the spot will gradually reappear. As the stump/tree deteriorates the weight of the soil above and gravity colapse the weakened wood, thus you have a low spot in the yard. You can help it last longest by compacting your fill in lifts of a few(3-5) inches with a jumping jack. It will probably still reappear but it'll take longer.

start2finish
05-25-2007, 08:42 AM
It souns like and old tree stump, if not from a removed tree then maybe there was some kind of construction and the excavator buried a stump that they had to tear out. Either way just about anything you do will be temporary and only last a few years, the spot will gradually reappear. As the stump/tree deteriorates the weight of the soil above and gravity colapse the weakened wood, thus you have a low spot in the yard. You can help it last longest by compacting your fill in lifts of a few(3-5) inches with a jumping jack. It will probably still reappear but it'll take longer.

while this is a good possibility, there is a chance that a storm drain or some sort of water line is leaking and washing the sinkhole out. is it getting worse? The fact that is has settled almost three feet deep make me believe more than poorly compacted dirt is to blame. Dig down (after locating utilities!!) and see what is at the bottom of the hole. if there is a pipe with a crack and no water spraying out then it is a storm drain and it erodes down into the pipe when it is raining. I have fixed these several times. filling the hole in is a temporary fix. now if it is only settling then forest guy has you covered.

DiyDave
05-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Sounds like you have an old, hand dug well on the place. These are common in Maryland, we had a couple on the farm, usually 5-6 feet in diameter, commonly they were filled with rubbish, debris, that settles over the years. If you can see down the hole safely, see if its brick lined. Some were lined with native stacked stones. Either way, the way to fill it is to dump a load of sandy fill, and let it settle on its own. You might have to fill it several times. If you are near Fredrick, they have another type of sinkhole caused by limestone subsiding as its dissolved by ground water, good luck on these types, they can be pretty deep.:waving: