PDA

View Full Version : have a question

backtobasicslawncare
05-24-2007, 11:10 PM
i cleaned up a yard and the customers said that she wanted to have the leafs by the road and i left them there. and today she called and said to haul them off. i wonder does anybody charge extra for going back out a second time.

topsites
05-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Not sure if this helps, hope it makes sense...

Yes, it would've been cheaper to load them in the first place vs. leaving them and then loading, but charge extra just because of the trouble no, and that is never what I do. I charge extra because it costs me more, if it is inconvenient then it's because it takes two trips, hence more fuel and labor hours.

I usually give what I call All-in-one discounts, meaning if I do more than one thing while I'm there, it's cheaper.
If I cut the grass AND I edge, it's +$10 for the edging... But if I have to come out twice, the edging by itself is $30 because that's my minimum. This I tell my customers, ma'am I would prefer to wait with the edging until the next service date so it's only $10. In the end it makes no difference to me, it's just what it costs.
But I don't charge extra as punishment, even if I make it sound like I do, I charge more because of cost.
Some folks just assume it's the same price, that's why I get off on doing it somedays and even more so if they're running me around like an office boy, but it's still because of my cost being higher.

Here's a breakdown in my case (assume 1 trailer load full).
1 full trailer load runs $200, this includes the cleanup labor, load and haul and dump fee and all, $200 / load.
But in this case, say it cost 75 for the cleanup to the curb.
I'd give them a small break since it's all in one place to load now and it should be easy to get to, but I still have to get $200 for the haul and some of the cleanup labor is now separate, I'd say 230-240 in my example, but not 275 and certainly not above and beyond.

That's just me, I include the cleanup in the cost of the haul ($200 / load total), but if you charge separate then you do what you have to, based on your cost.