PDA

View Full Version : Running over pine cones!

green-pa
05-25-2007, 03:28 AM
I have a customer that has about 30-35 30ft+ pine trees for a hedge over 2/3 of her back yard. It's a pain in the butt to trim under and inbetween but I may ask permission to use some killsall or something for that, but anyway, the pine cones are getting crazy now and are all over the place around the grass where I use my mower. I have just been running them over, but I can tell it's not as easy as grass. The question I have is though, can these pine cones mess my mower up, or just maybe dull the blade a little. I'm only there once a week and it's my only customer with cones. So far my mower is doing ok. I've just replaced a wheel and a few other small things. The wheel was my own fault.

Grass Kickin
05-25-2007, 09:31 AM
They will dull the blades a little. In Florida most of the pine cones I see are bigger than soft balls. I'm not worried about them messing my mower up in fact I like to see how far they shoot out the side. lol

Patriot Services
05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
And they smell good too!:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

green-pa
05-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, they do at least smell good...lol. Well I guess I'll just figure on a bit of blade wear but that's it then.

Wells
05-26-2007, 02:02 PM
We've always just run them over, never noticed any excessive wear and tear on the blades.

echeandia
05-27-2007, 03:39 PM
They are softer then rocks.

topsites
05-27-2007, 10:58 PM
You might turn down the rpm's a bit and go a bit slower, so they don't go ricochet off a tree and hit you back in the head LOL I hate that.

Pro-Scapes
06-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I have yet to see damage from them too. I have also never had one shoot out so fast it would bounce and hit me in the head. If your discharge is in place it shouldnt fly that high.

How big is the area ? You should of priced accordingly. My guess is you have a few hundred pine cones on any given visit with that many trees.

IA_James
06-02-2007, 08:39 PM
You might turn down the rpm's a bit and go a bit slower, so they don't go ricochet off a tree and hit you back in the head LOL I hate that.

Or bounce off the neighbor's Mustang.:nono: