PDA

View Full Version : How to light open patio

pshields
05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
We built our patio last summer and are now ready to add lighting. The top part of the patio will have dome surface lights installed on the wall and there will be a dome surface light on each column for the steps. My question is how do I light the bottom area of the patio. It is roughly 24 ft x 18 ft. I would like enough light so that when we are on the patio at night we can see each other. We donít have any large plants right next to the patio to uplight which is on purpose because the backyard is nicely landscaped and we want to be able to look out to it. The path is about 25 ft long and I planned on using area lights along one side of it. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Chris J
05-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Suggestion #1. Read through some of past posts to see some of the disasters that happen to "do it yourselfers" with low quality products.

Suggestion #2. Read the very first article in the landscape lighting forum.

Suggestion #3. Open your phone book, and call a reputable lighting contractor in your area. Then pay him for his time, expertise and knowledge.

Pro-Scapes
05-25-2007, 04:04 PM
Design time is 60 per hour. You would not want to try my suggestions yourself anyways sorry. Your going to want a reputable contractor. Not sure what you mean by Dome lights. I hope you dont mean glow bombs.

ChampionLS
05-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Check out my posts in the Hardscaping Forum, where I show photos of Evening Star paver lighting, or just visit the website :
www.eveningstarlighting.com

David Gretzmier
05-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I appreciate you seeking professionals for advice, this forum is mainly professional to professional-If you were asking to change a bulb, that is one thing- but design ideas and extended problem solving needs to be left to a local lighting professional.

google your area and landscape lighting. some websites or professional listings should come up, or you could try servicemagic.com, they require insurance and workman's comp coverage, and you could get some bids and ideas about your project. what you are wanting takes a visit to the jobsite. good luck- dave g

pshields
05-30-2007, 01:47 PM
I was not expecting a detailed design just maybe some general suggestions. I know you would prefer that I hire a professional but I really like taking on new projects. Most people thought we were crazy to build the patio ourselvers. It may be a DYI project but the components will not be low quality. I am using a Hadco transformer and Focus fixtures.

I apologize for intruding.

Turf Troll
05-30-2007, 03:48 PM
pshields,

No matter what I am designing I need to ask the people hiring me how they use the space, live in the space and what they are missing that they don't have now and what they want as an outcome.

just maybe some general suggestions You can get general suggestions by looking at jobs already done as examples or suggestions. Look at magazine's down at Borders or Barnes & Noble.

I did look at Salisbury landscape lighting on google but the pickings are slim while I know there are some contractors in Ocean City, Fenwick Island and Lewes. You probably could get a plan from one of those companies. There about an hour away I believe.

Pro-Scapes
05-30-2007, 03:59 PM
I was not expecting a detailed design just maybe some general suggestions. I know you would prefer that I hire a professional but I really like taking on new projects. Most people thought we were crazy to build the patio ourselvers. It may be a DYI project but the components will not be low quality. I am using a Hadco transformer and Focus fixtures.

I apologize for intruding.
Shields... Do you know how to check amperage ? Voltage ? plan for voltage drop ? Make weather proof splices ? All this and alot more is required for a quality installation.

General suggestions... Moonlight off the 2nd story eave of the home ? Kind risky for someone who has never done pro grade lighting and its a dangerous install but....do so at your own risk.

I would include some area lights in the beds perhaps and install some seasonal color. When I planned the patio I would of suggested a nice fountain built in and then light that to provide alot of reflective light as well.

Turf Troll
05-30-2007, 04:12 PM
pshields,

Looking at the photos again you should of asked how I should of planted my plants as it seems from what I am looking at they will be mostly grown together in the beds on both sides of the walkway area joining the patio. While the two spruce at the step of the patio ( I think that is what they are) are very slow growing What are you going to do when their five feet tall and growing all over the patio it looks like their pl? As for wiring if you had thought about it while you where building the patio you could of incorporated the wiring into the project so more would of been hidden.

It is great to do things yourself, if you had someone plan things out for you, you would save time and money by not having to redo items.

niteliters
05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
pshields, normally I would chime in with what 2screwed said but you got an eye full so I will only add this. I can't be helpful because I can't see the space. I might give you the wrong suggestions. I you want to do it yourself, fine, at least hire a designer create our vision effectively and safely, then install it yourself, using techniques he/she would teach you. I could pull out miy own infected molar, people would be amazed...but is it the prudent thing to do. The misuse of lamps, wiring mistakes, layout of fixtures and fixture selection could be the least of your problems. One wise electrician once said, "give me a 9 volt battery and I can burn your house down." safety,safety,saftey

niteliters
05-30-2007, 04:53 PM
wow I can't type anymore.....If you want to do it yourself...create your vision...etc etc...sorry

pshields
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
pshields,

Looking at the photos again you should of asked how I should of planted my plants as it seems from what I am looking at they will be mostly grown together in the beds on both sides of the walkway area joining the patio. While the two spruce at the step of the patio ( I think that is what they are) are very slow growing What are you going to do when their five feet tall and growing all over the patio it looks like their pl? As for wiring if you had thought about it while you where building the patio you could of incorporated the wiring into the project so more would of been hidden.

They are a dwarf boxwood, I should be able to prune as necessary to keep them under control. The only thing that will potentially grow together is 3 cotoneaster. My wife and I can never agree on spacing. She always wants to move them in. I have pipes under the sidewalks and a pipe under the steps going to the second level. The wall caps have not been glued down where I want to put wall lights.