PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki motor underpowered

Birdhunter1
05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Toro Z449, 19hp kawasaki engine with 42" turboforce deck.
The engine rusn absolutely great, new plugs, new air, oil, and fuel filters. Hydraulics seem fine, as soon as the pto is turned on the engine seems to bog down real bad, blades don't spin near as fast as they use to and whenever you try to drive it it drives but if you give it full speed (in or out of grass) it bogs down even more.

I really don't think the problem is in the engine, it runs fine and this morning I pushed against a pecan tree in my yard to see if it bogged under a load. I eased up to the tree and pushed and the tires spun without ever bogging the engine down so I am pretty sure it is from the engagement clutch on out.

I'm thinking I may have a spindle gone bad and requiring alot of power to turn it, but wouldn't the belt slip and start burning if this were the case?

Is there anything that may have gone wrong in the clutch itself causing this?

Other than the mower blades not turning full speed and the engine seems to be bogged down it still cuts great, just doesn't disperse clippings very well.

Restrorob
05-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Remove the belt(s) and free spin all the spindles and any idler pulleys, You may find one binding up. One would have to be completely locked up to make the belt smoke.

Birdhunter1
05-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I was going to check that in the morning.

Rob I was kind of hoping you'd see this one and chime in, THANKS!

sakdad
05-25-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm new to the forum, and may be asking in the wrong area, but I'm taking a shot anyway.
I have a Country Clipper JAZee 1952 w/ a Kawasaki engine, purchased new in July 2004. It ran great until a few weeks ago when it simply quit like the fuel had been shut off. Since that time I can only get it to run for about 10 minutes, then it dies and will not restart for several hours.
I have changed the oil & filter, checked the fuel flow through the fuel filter, cleaned out the OHV and replaced with fresh gas. Nothing seems to help.
Meanwhile, I keep throwing the hydro belt. Often when I am trying to restart after a stall, the belt will throw off of the left hydro, which now has several damaged fins.
I have spoken with the selling dealer, who is no longer a CC dealer and doesn't seem to want to work on the unit. Another local dealer (who does not service Kawasaki engines) advised me to work through the selling dealer, as there was a problem with hydro clearance and an upgrade should have been done. Furthermore, I have been in contact with CC and am awaiting info from them.
I need help because 10 minutes a day on 3 acres is not getting it done. *trucewhiteflag*
Thanks,
Scott

fixer67
05-26-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm new to the forum, and may be asking in the wrong area, but I'm taking a shot anyway.
I have a Country Clipper JAZee 1952 w/ a Kawasaki engine, purchased new in July 2004. It ran great until a few weeks ago when it simply quit like the fuel had been shut off. Since that time I can only get it to run for about 10 minutes, then it dies and will not restart for several hours.
I have changed the oil & filter, checked the fuel flow through the fuel filter, cleaned out the OHV and replaced with fresh gas. Nothing seems to help.
Meanwhile, I keep throwing the hydro belt. Often when I am trying to restart after a stall, the belt will throw off of the left hydro, which now has several damaged fins.
I have spoken with the selling dealer, who is no longer a CC dealer and doesn't seem to want to work on the unit. Another local dealer (who does not service Kawasaki engines) advised me to work through the selling dealer, as there was a problem with hydro clearance and an upgrade should have been done. Furthermore, I have been in contact with CC and am awaiting info from them.
I need help because 10 minutes a day on 3 acres is not getting it done. *trucewhiteflag*
Thanks,
Scott

Check the fire at the exact time the engine dies. It sounds like you could have a coil that is overheating and you are losing fire.