PDA

View Full Version : Weed Identification Help!

alphaz
05-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi all,

I tried to search google to identify this weed but found this site so thought I'd ask the experts.

My lawn has been invaded by these fast growing weeds for a few months now. These things grow probably five times quicker than my lawn so within a week of mowing it, I start seeing these guys pop out above the lawn. Funny thing is how these things grow, it seems like these things pop up every few inches. They are never really clumped together but very spread out relatively speaking.

Can anyone help me identify this weed? Even better, help me kill it?

Thanks in advance!

mow2nd
05-25-2007, 10:50 PM
It's called Turf Type Tall FESCUE............It goes to seed and now is the time of the year that it does it.

phototropic1
05-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Ok, here's my original post. Mow2nd ID'd it different than me, but notice my disclaimer. I'm not a turf guy.

That's Poa annua, or Annual Bluegrass. I'm not a turf guy, so I'm probably not the best help on getting rid of it. But, here's my two cents. It's a cool season grass, though, so it'll be dying off here pretty soon. You'll probably have the best luck keeping it to a minimum NEXT spring by mowing as high as recommended for your lawn grass and by applying a preemergent (that will suppress bluegrass) in the late winter.

Oh, great pictures, by the way! Most folks will only include one hazy picture and wonder why nobody knows what it is.

Maybe some of the turf guys will chime in on this one. But in the meantime, do a search on this site for Poa annua. Good luck.

mow2nd
05-25-2007, 11:06 PM
It ain't Poa Anna, I live in Charlotte NC and Poa Anna has been gone for a few weeks now. We have FESCUE in our area and from May to Mid June it goes to seed, and by July it's done. Basically there is no need for him to freak out.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/poaan.htm

That is Poa Anna................Totally different seed head

Runner
05-25-2007, 11:08 PM
It's freakin' grass! Don't worry about it. :)

phototropic1
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the correction Mow2nd. Like I said, I ain't no turf guy. :)

mow2nd
05-25-2007, 11:30 PM
lol................it's cool.................a month ago, u may have been correct.

alphaz
05-25-2007, 11:56 PM
I just thought it was a weed because I don't remember having these things spring out on me (or at least as fast as they do now) in the past couple of years I've lived and mowed my own lawn. It takes only a week for these things to become noticeable. Two weeks to grow to about 7-8 inches tall. :(

Thanks guys.

Oh, great pictures, by the way! Most folks will only include one hazy picture and wonder why nobody knows what it is.

LOL. Thanks.