PDA

View Full Version : Planning for Winter

echeandia
05-25-2007, 10:35 PM
I know summer hasn't even started but it's never to early to plan. I am trying to figure out what to do this winter. I am not set-up to plow and don't plan on doing so. What types of services do you offer in the winter?

LindblomRJ
05-25-2007, 11:02 PM
There is fire wood. If you have a welder do decorative "stuff" gates etc. Some take a repair mowers etc and re sell them.

Plowing can be pretty lucrative if there is plenty of snow.

Pastaboy62
05-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Hang up people's christmas lights. I did that this year and made a lot of money, and its not that much work.

topsites
05-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Ahhhh I always save more than a few g for winter, priority one in spring, still working on this thou. I try to get what I need to survive 3-4 months with no income, more is better but this money I make sure is in the account before I spend any big dollars for the year. I used to do it backwards, buy equipment first etc, but now I save my winter money first, no matter what, pretty much.

green-pa
05-26-2007, 11:33 AM
I was thinking the same thing; what to do this winter to make it through. THis is my first year, so I dont' have enough income to save to make it through without doing something. I shuveled last year and made good when it snowed good. However, I'm sure I could make a lot more and with less effort with a either a plow added to my truck or a blower. But I'm sure I won't have the $1,500-3,000+ it costs to have a plow put on.

Wells
05-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Residential Snow removal, a good snowblower can run less then $1000.
Christmas Lighting, great money maker and plenty of work.
Tree Jobs

If things really get tight then place an ad for Handyman type work, people always needs things fixed in their homes or around the yard.

green-pa
05-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Residential Snow removal, a good snowblower can run less then $1000.
Christmas Lighting, great money maker and plenty of work.
Tree Jobs

If things really get tight then place an ad for Handyman type work, people always needs things fixed in their homes or around the yard.

How many lighting jobs do u get? Did u get em mostly from flyers or? And do u let them just decide where to put the lights or do u have to plan it out? Also, do they usually have the lights or do u have to get those also?
How much do u make/hour? $30+?

Wells
05-26-2007, 12:09 PM
How many lighting jobs do u get? Did u get em mostly from flyers or? And do u let them just decide where to put the lights or do u have to plan it out? Also, do they usually have the lights or do u have to get those also?
How much do u make/hour? $30+?

No advertising, everything is word of mouth.
We only install C7 & C9 lighting on the house, no trees (to time consuming)
Everything is custom fit to their exact roof line, and they can decide if they want the front only, front and sides, or whole house.

We generally purchase the supplies from the wholesale company but we also give them the choice of picking up thier own. We give them the option of any lighting color combination they like (opaque, transparent, blinking, etc).

Last year I was charging $65 per hour plus marked up supplies and I later found out that I was the lowballer of the season so this year i'll be bumping my labor rate to $85.

Last year we started installing in late October and was busy every day up till December 12th. Then come first of the year we start removing the lights from the homes and the clients get charged for the removal portion as well.

echeandia
05-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Everything is custom fit to their exact roof line...

How were you able to get custom length strings of light?

Wells
05-26-2007, 01:35 PM
How were you able to get custom length strings of light?

You buy your lights in a large spool and cut them to length, then you splice it all together with male & female fittings.

green-pa
05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Was that like $65/per man hour or for 2 men? Do u let the customers know how much they are paying per hour? Some folk around here don't like that if it's much over $25 it seems. So I just give an est. for clean ups, hedge trimmings, ect, that will gross me $30-40/hr and then that way they hopefully don't do the math and I can work at my own pace but their charge is the same. How long does it take u to do the avg home?

Wells
05-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Was that like $65/per man hour or for 2 men? Do u let the customers know how much they are paying per hour? How long does it take u to do the avg home?

The client is given a bid to perform the whole job. Labor and supplies are included in the total price and the client never sees the breakdown.

If i'm installing existing lights on the front of a house I can usually get 3 to 5 sets up in one day.
If it's a new set then only about 2 to 3 sets in a day.

echeandia
05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
You buy your lights in a large spool and cut them to length, then you splice it all together with male & female fittings.

Where do you buy your lighting supplies from?

gobblet
05-26-2007, 11:16 PM
SAVE,SAVE,SAVE, all extra money. Might not have to worry about winter if you have a plan.

tjsquickcuts
05-28-2007, 09:21 AM
You guys really need to take some money management classes....it would be a huge help. I put $200 per week, plus 10% of all Landscape Net, and any misc Money away for the winter months. That starts first week. 44 weeks in my season. You can do the math on that. I work too hard during the spring, summer, and fall not to take the needed time off for rest and relaxation. If not, you are going to burn out. For all my employees, I, on a voluntary basis take out $75 to $125 a week so that they still have income coming in over the winter as well, 6% added to every dollar because I am accruing interest on money they have opted to put up and I think it would be wrong for me to keep all the interest when they earned it, and plus any other work that may come our way thats worth the visit during the winter. Business Management is important. For all you guys looking the hire GOOD help, you have to think about them as well during the winter months. A lot of good help is lost during the off season because of poor planning by the Owner.