PDA

View Full Version : Hydro Pump / Insight Wanted

smcunningham
05-26-2007, 02:15 AM
My left hydro pump on my TT is starting to leak very little hrdro oil around the gasket on the top side of pump ...the side you see when looking down at it where the two halfs go together.....can I replace the gasket or use gasket sealer of some type or what........oh yeah does anybody know what the tork spec is on the allen head bolts or how can i find out. it only does it (leak) when i'm on my really hilly properties and its hot out real hot...oh yeah is this a sign of the pump going bad....i can tell a little bit of sluggishness from the left side ......i guess pressure in the pump is causing it to leak or something.........any insight would greatly be appreciated.....my spelling and grammer is bad.....sorry........

ps. it only feels sluggish on my really hilly properties after it gets real hot (the machine and the wheather). at my other accounts (flat) it dont leak or feel slugish

Envy Lawn Service
05-26-2007, 02:37 AM
I see it is an '02... so out of warranty unless you bought it as a leftover.

If you are feeling it fade... you need to stop operating it before further damage occurs.

Unless you can clean the area real well and have a clean bench working environment... and experience working on pumps.... well then this is something best left to the professionally trained.

I say that unless there is someone here that can guide you through this repair start-to-finish. You can mess around here and cost yourself a pump, and probably a wheel motor too... real easy. All it takes is a mistake or a piece of contamination.

Keeping on running it can land you in the same boat too. See, if fluid can get out... air can get in. This is BAD BAD BAD.

The fading you are already feeling is probably from cavitation of the fluid, or air injestion. Both cause problems throughout the system... including overheating.

You can pop one side of the drive in the blink of an eye.

smcunningham
05-26-2007, 02:52 AM
thanks envy for the reply and maybe I'll buy a pump seen them for like 300$ on ebay brand new and have it on stand by just in case....will wait on other replys first....the tt has 995 hours on it...if the pump goes up does the wheel motor ussually go bad also...is it better maybe to just replace the pump now before further damage and is it something i could do myself..i'm pretty mechanically inclined....what would you do...

Envy Lawn Service
05-26-2007, 03:10 AM
I'd wait for some more replies... that's what I would do...

Hopefully someone has had the same issue and fixed it themselves.

But it's always best to fix hydro problems BEFORE something blows if possible.
The metal shavings that result will often contaminate other components of the system. Depending on the plumbing and separation, all items can be at risk... but the wheel motor on that side is in the most danger.

This is why I keep preaching on divided systems.
They have independent operation.
So there is no logic in combined plumbing and shared fluids for both sides.
None other than a chance at selling extra parts.

Snapper has this figured out.
Right and left are totally divided.
Two reserviors and two filters... no shared fluid.
If one side goes bad it's isolated.

And for what?... The cost of an extra filter at each fluid change.
Well worth it.

Bad Boy just makes me hee-haw.
Everything on their system is divided too... two filters, the works.
But both sides share a common reservoir.

What a brain fart... I pointed it out... let's see what happens....

smcunningham
05-26-2007, 04:23 AM
thanks for the insight Envy....
Will wait for more replys

rodfather
05-26-2007, 08:15 AM
The last thing I would try is some kind of gasket sealer. This isn't like going to an automotive store and buying a $2.98 can of Stop Leak to plug a hole in your radiator.

I'm pretty good at fixing alot of stuff on mowers. A hydro? Nope. Secondly, I would have to weigh the cost of fixing the old one vs. replacing with new components. For 3 bills, I would have a new one installed.

smcunningham
05-26-2007, 09:27 PM
bump......any other insight

Pumper
05-29-2007, 09:34 AM
It can be done but I would be careful working on the hydros. The most important thing is keeping it absolutely clean. You can change out the gasket without tearing the whole thing apart (meaning taking out the rotating/piston group). You just need to order the parts from a Hydro Gear Distributor (I know J Thomas carries replacement pumps, they may have replacement parts as well).

When it is all said and done, you will probably save some money by repairing the pump versus buying a new one. You just have to decide whether the money saved is worth the risk of problems down the road.

DiyDave
05-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey lawnshark- You need to do what I used to do with my gravely. When I felt something fading (for the first time) I would order the part and have it on the shelf.(NOS dealer part). When it finally craps out totally, swap it out with the part from your shelf. Then take the worn out pump to fluid dynamics out by BWI airport (Cromwell business park) they'll rebuild it generally for a third of the new part cost(no that's not a rule or policy, but that's how it generally worked out.) Then 1 of 2 things will happen- 1. You will never, ever need that part again, or 2. The other one will go bad in a year or two, and you will be ahead of the game, and won't have any downtime. If you need the number of the rebuild place, I will see if I can find it tomorrow.:waving: :waving: Dave

themowerman
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Hook up a flow meter and do a hydro pump test to determine if your pump is healthy or not. If it is then go ahead and replace the leaky seal or gasket. Just take great care in not introducing dirt into the system.

DiyDave
05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Lawnshark- You ought to do what I used to do with my Gravely. Whwn you know something is going to crap out (the first time), buy dealer part, new in box, put it on shelf till it finally goes. Then replace it with little or no downtime. Take the old unit to Advanced fluid systems out by BWI airport in the cromwell business park, and have them rebuild it (Generally the rebuild will cost you about a third of what you paid for the new unit). Put the rebuilt unit on the shelf, and 1 of 2 things will happen: 1. You will never, ever need it or 2. the other pump will go in a year or 2 . Either way, it's cheap insurance!:waving: :waving: Dave

wall
05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Go scag website and down load manuals for your serial no. mower. And here is a link to some basis troubleshooting techniqueshttp://cmawebsite.com/downloads/KCM/hydro-gear/pumps/hustler/BDP_10-16-21_manual.pdf

Hampstead,md
08-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Dave, I would like the phone number for the hydro rebuild place down near BWI.

DiyDave
09-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Dave, I would like the phone number for the hydro rebuild place down near BWI.

Address:
Advanced Fluid Systems
P.O. Box 786
899C Airport Park Rd
Glen Burnie, MD 21061
Phone: 410-553-0300
Fax: 410-553-0316

Just pulled this off of google, hope it helps...:waving:

Hampstead,md
09-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks!:walking:

Lawn Pros
09-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I have a hydro gear pump leaking at the trunnion shaft can the seal be replaced without taking it apart where is a good place in central ky to buy hydro gear parts