PDA

View Full Version : Wire Strippers

mrossirr
05-26-2007, 06:32 AM
What is everyone using for wire strippers ? Have not been able to find a good one.

Thanks, Mike

eskerlite
05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Klein tools have a good selection. There are stranded and solid wire strippers. Dont buy the wrong one.
Sean C.
www.dbcurraninc.com

klkanders
05-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Good choice Sean! I also happen to like my Gardner Bender pair.

NightScenes
05-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Stick with the good ones. I use Kleins, but GB are good and you can also find some good Ideal strippers.

Eden Lights
05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I thought everybody used the Ideal autos, No?

Chris J
05-29-2007, 08:50 AM
I use the autos.

Pro-Scapes
05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
ideal auto strips here. I got klien hand tools like cutters and pliers now. Gotta love the auto strips. POP SNAP... done.

mrossirr
05-29-2007, 06:59 PM
Are you talking about the Ideal Stripmaster ?

David Gretzmier
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I've used several auto's, klein's and GB's. but not ideal's.

I like the manual kleins with the yellow handles.

The auto's I've used make me use cutters cut the wire, cut middle of the LV wire, use hands to spread it apart, and then put in auto-strippers to strip and spit out the insulation.

with the klein's I can cut the cable, cut in the middle, spread and strip. one tool.

but I am open to change if the ideal's can do all of this with one tool.

JoeyD
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Bringing it back from the dead! Another thread that reminded me of the new wire strippers we got the other day. Super nice!! Best strippers I have used so far. Of course the mechanical wire strippers are nice but do fail over time. (I guess all fail over time)

http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/prodCat08.htm

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/lighting/Strippers.gif

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd150031

These are bar none, hands down, the best automatic wire strippers I have ever used. I swear by them. They never cut a strand! They handle a wide variety of gauges, even the silicone socket wire leads, and they stand up very well. I go through one pair per year per installer.

All of the other automatic strippers I have tried tend to cut strands if you are not very careful with them. These are foolproof.

I think Gregg C. bought some a while ago.... how do you like them Gregg?

Regards.

JoeyD
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Those look good as well!

David Gretzmier
05-22-2008, 11:24 PM
Those vice grip's look nice james. I was reading my post from a year ago and realized I have converted to the dark side. I picked up an ideal auto stripper at Lowes a few months back when I noticed it could do 10 guage stranded, and fell in love with them. It still is inefficient, as you need 2 tools to do a light, Ideals won't cut, but is is easier on my fingers and hands than a manual stripper. I still use the klein strippers to cut, as I like it better than nippers, and they can cut 10 guage easy. They also can strip 8 guage for the rare times I bring that out or service a job with it.

sprinkler guy
05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
James,

Those Irwins may be exactly what I wanted when I bought the Ideal a few weeks ago. They work great at stripping, but no cutter, so I'm using two tools to make a connection.

For you guys who use 8 gauge, you can order the Ideal stripper with an opening that does 8, 10, and 12 gauge. The local Cast rep showed me his the other day.

irrig8r
05-23-2008, 11:04 AM
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd150031

These are bar none, hands down, the best automatic wire strippers I have ever used. I swear by them. They never cut a strand! They handle a wide variety of gauges, even the silicone socket wire leads, and they stand up very well. I go through one pair per year per installer.

All of the other automatic strippers I have tried tend to cut strands if you are not very careful with them. These are foolproof.

I think Gregg C. bought some a while ago.... how do you like them Gregg?

Regards.

I'm using them for both lighting and irrigation, from #20 solid to #10 stranded. Very versatile. I saw a less expensive one at an Auto Zone store the other day too. About $10 I think...maybe on sale.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-24-2008, 12:23 AM
James,

Those Irwins may be exactly what I wanted when I bought the Ideal a few weeks ago. They work great at stripping, but no cutter, so I'm using two tools to make a connection.

For you guys who use 8 gauge, you can order the Ideal stripper with an opening that does 8, 10, and 12 gauge. The local Cast rep showed me his the other day.

Hey Sean look again... they have a cutter, it is located inside the handle near the pivot point. They cut pretty well too.

I dont buy the Irwin brand myself, instead I buy the exact same product from either Princess Auto, or Busy Bee Tools, around $9 each. And yes, they are an example of a relatively cheap tool that works really well.

Regards.

sprinkler guy
05-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey Sean look again... they have a cutter, it is located inside the handle near the pivot point. They cut pretty well too.

I dont buy the Irwin brand myself, instead I buy the exact same product from either Princess Auto, or Busy Bee Tools, around $9 each. And yes, they are an example of a relatively cheap tool that works really well.

Regards.

James,
I was saying that the Ideal unit I bought strips great, but doesn't have cutters,, so I was happy to see the Irwin did. I already ordered a pair of the Irwins online.

Thanks for the info.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-24-2008, 07:26 AM
ahhh gotchya! I will have to contact Irwin tools and ask for a commission cheque! :)

Have a great day.

David Gretzmier
05-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Got the irwin strippers at Lowes today. tried to cut 12 guage, 2 grips, not so easy. 10 guage not happening after 3 strong "grips". I think maybe the one I bought needs adjusting, as it will not remove the insulation from the wire. It cuts it, and almost pulls it off, but leaves it about 1/4" on the copper. I played with it a bit, but maybe I'm spoiled on the ideal. It seems much easier to use, but then that may be because I've stripped maybe 300 wires with it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-25-2008, 05:48 PM
David what do you mean by "2 Grips"? Do you mean it took two attempts?

I use the off-brand version of these (much cheaper) and have been using them for about 4 years now... I only have an issue when they are nearing the end of their life, dull, worn out hinge, etc.

Try adjusting the thumbscrew on the clamp side of the tool.

David Gretzmier
05-25-2008, 11:53 PM
I had to squeeze the pliers two times very hard to cut through 12 guage, and 3 attempts could not cut 10. adjusting the thumb screw changes the pressure on stripping, not cutting. I can only get mine to strip about 3/8 of an inch of insulation off, no matter how I adjust it. if I go for more, it leaves it on the wire. my ideals can do 3/4 inch easy, which is more what I do. Sorry, dude, I think I have a bad pair or something. :hammerhead: I'm sticking to what worked ( ideals ) out of the box for now. :clapping:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey David, you wouldnt be trying to strip both conductors at the same time would you? If you are, then I can see why the Irwin stripper would be giving you some difficulty. I always split the conductors first and then strip one at a time.

Regards