PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help please

Bull
05-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Can you give me some suggestions on how to control slugs (snails)? They are tearing our annuals all to pieces. This is the first year we have ever had a problem with them. You can go out after dark and they literally are out in the beds by the hundreds. What do you suggest? Thanks

newz7151
05-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Can you give me some suggestions on how to control slugs (snails)? They are tearing our annuals all to pieces. This is the first year we have ever had a problem with them. You can go out after dark and they literally are out in the beds by the hundreds. What do you suggest? Thanks

Beer.............

Smallaxe
05-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Diatomacious Earth or similar suface that they can't crawl over without cutting themselves up.
.rick.

newz7151
05-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Diatomacious Earth or similar suface that they can't crawl over without cutting themselves up.
.rick.

That's cruel though. At least with the beer method they'll drown so drunk they won't know or care that it's happening.

Smallaxe
05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
That could true, but I have difficulty sharing my beer.
.rick.

1MajorTom
05-26-2007, 06:05 PM
I have also heard that crushed egg shells and coffee grounds scattered around the plants works, although I have never tried it.

ed2hess
05-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Go to Lesco and get Deadline M-P...little blue pellets.....no more pill bugs and snails/slugs. If you want to take the Green approach get Sluggo....from most big box stores, but it is a little less effective.

newz7151
05-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Go to Lesco and get Deadline M-P...little blue pellets.....no more pill bugs and snails/slugs. If you want to take the Green approach get Sluggo....from most big box stores, but it is a little less effective.

You should be ashamed for wanting to kill the pill "bugs" (they are actually cruestaceans).

They eat dieing/decaying bio matter. Living things are not their normal diet.

ed2hess
05-27-2007, 04:23 PM
You should be ashamed for wanting to kill the pill "bugs" (they are actually cruestaceans).

They eat dieing/decaying bio matter. Living things are not their normal diet.
I should not have used the word "kill" ....all I know is this chemicial protects begonia from anything that eats/harms them. Is there a better way....:confused: