PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! With Grass!!!

TierOneLawnCare
05-26-2007, 09:30 AM
I posted this in the wrong forum earlier....I need some help identifying this grass type, and where to start to repair it, It has several weeds and bare spots from 2 large oak trees in the front yard....Help!

Ric
05-26-2007, 11:17 AM
TierOneLawnCare

I have an Assoc Degree in Golf Course Management And a Bachelors in Plant Science. Sorry But I can not Identity any one species of Turf. What you have is a yard that has been mismanaged to the point it needs total renovation. At one time it could have been Bahia since there seems to be more Bahia than any other weed. The shade is a problem in the fact very few species will survive in that much shade and then only with proper management and Irrigation. Seeding Lawns in Florida is not real successful in most locations due to the nature of our sandy soil. Bermuda seed will take as good as any but requires full sun. Bahia Sod will cover and last for a number of years, but will end up looking like the present lawn. St Augustine varieties of Bitter Blue or Seville will do best but require irrigation and management.

Ground covers like Wedelia would do well in this area and can be mowed very high a few times a year.

My advice from an Economy stand point is to wait until the rainy season starts and fertilize the lawn with a 16-4-8 and let the weeds grow and mow it. With gas approaching $ 4.00 a gallon this doesn't look like the Neighborhood that would pay 5 K for a re-sod after paying 3K for an irrigation system and the follow up with a Thousand a year in Lawn Fert & Squirt.

teeca
05-26-2007, 01:55 PM
$5k for a re-sod, you could get a few tri-ax loads of 53's, some green paint and a few gal of round up. when i was in southern cal thats what about every house had, green stone or dirt.