PDA

View Full Version : Ez-go ??

Mr.Ziffel
08-16-2001, 04:16 PM
I've got two Jacobsen/EZGO model 810 golf course maintenance vehicles I bought at auction a couple of years ago--just like a golf cart but have diamond plate steel bodies and hand operated dump beds. They have the Robin 2 cylinder, 4cycle engines.

One of them cuts out with an occasional small backfire, but only when under load. When I jack it up with the drive wheel off the ground it runs fine. When driving under load, it will lose power and just idle until you let your foot off the accelerator and then it comes back up to speed. I've adjusted the limit switch--no change.

I don't have a manual for these and a mechanic who would like me to put them on consignment with him tells me it's a drive clutch, but I swapped clutches and that's not it. It's got spark and fuel, but to me it's obviously a fuel problem, I just can't trouble shoot it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Will M>

khouse
08-17-2001, 09:48 AM
Have you tried switching the carb? I believe your main jet is plugged because it idles fine. Try blowing out the carb. If it's still the same after blowing it out then switch the carbs and see. I have had many carbs that after repeated soaking in carb cleaner and blowing out still didn't perform. Only after a brand new carb was installed was the problem fixed. Good luck.

sdwally
08-17-2001, 10:16 AM
Problems like this can be hard to find. A possible problem might be with the ignition system. As you increase the rpms under load high cylinder temps and compression will supress the spark. Replace the spark plug, plug wire, and test the coil(or swap the coil with the other unit).
Best of luck.

Mr.Ziffel
08-17-2001, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Another guy around here suggested it might be the 'igniter' which is one of those sealed black boxes. I'll try some more parts swapping. Thanks again, Will M>

08-17-2001, 10:40 PM
I had an ignition "brain" (igniter unit like the "sealed black boxes" you referred to) act up on my bike, with similar symptoms.

It would act up under load, but start & idle OK. When I checked things out (obviously at idle) there was spark and the coils tested for resistance as per spec.

I was certain it was fuel related, but in the end replacing the igniter box cured the problem - I worked my way through the fuel system one thing at a time and the symptoms didn't go away. :angry: At that point, all that was left was the "black box".

John DiMartino
08-17-2001, 10:49 PM
If the fuel filter is partially plugged,it will rev with no load,but bog when load is applied.The carb could also have a needle/seat problem.Is it any better if you partially pull out on the choke when it starts to bog?does it pick right back up,or continue to bog.look behind you-does it load up,and smoke black or nothing at all.No smoke,no loading up means its a fuel problem,lack of.If it loads up,and continues to bog,id suspect ignition coil or wire.