PDA

View Full Version : Truck and trailer legalities?

Shady Brook
05-26-2007, 05:39 PM
In Indiana if you are 26000 lb's with a truck you need a cdl. If you have a trailer over 10,000 lb's you need a Cdl if you combine for 26001.

I picked up a dump rated at 11,400. Now my plate options are 11,000, 16,000 , and 22,000. The license girl said 11,000 is not enough. Ok, first question is... if I am stopped by the dot do they care what my gvw is, or my licienced weight? Am I overweight if I weigh 12,000 if I have a 16k plate because I exceed my gvw? Or, do they go by axle weights and pay no heed to the gvw or liceienced weight, or something in between? If they go by gvw, then why have a plate rated for more then your truck can legally carry? Is it all just maddness?

Next question is, I am looking at a 14,000 lb trailer. If I get the 16k plate, I would need a cdl with the 14k trailer. Can I legally put a plate on the truck rated at less then the truck's gvw?

Does anyone really know the answers to these questions, or are even the state cops confused. I have talked to a couple who came to different conclusions.

Thanks for your help

racer56
05-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Most states adopt federal regs as in this case as well. They go by axle and GVW as well. If either is over your busted. Anything over 10,000 lbs combined(truck and trailer GVW) then you need med card, log book if cross state line... Kind of a pain. I bet we have 2 including myself in the entire county that are legal. The other company just got busted and paid out the nose and made all the changes and said he is turning in every company he sees that isn't legal just by the eye. That is kind of tough and I didn't say anything but I see what he is saying. I thought the high gas prices would run off most of the hacks(part time guys). Seems like he wants them gone faster :laugh: .

3day240sx
02-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Trailer tag should cover trailer weight only. Truck tag would cover truck and trailer combined weight. So if you hook say a f250 ford diesel to that 14k trailer fully loaded then you would need a 22k tag or 24k tag on the truck. A cop can be an a** and pull you over to give you a ticket but he is probably pissed because somebody is doing his wife. The only other problem is that if you get in a wreck and are not tagged properly for your load your getting fined. One other thing to tell the other local guy is that you can get a ticket for not having a commercial tag if you have signs on your car/truck, experience sucks.

ma5tr
02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
your best off registering the vehicle for the gvwr of your trailer plus the gvwr of your truck. So in your case 14000lbs + 11400lbs=25400lbs. When pulling a trailer don't forget to add the tongue weight to your payload in your truck. The only thing you have to remember is that regardless of your trailer gvwr you can still only haul the 10000lbs that you are permitted without having your cdl(or whatever you are permitted with your regular licence). So alternatively if you know you wont haul over the 10000lbs with your trailer you might be ok to register for 10000+11400lbs=21400lbs.

Here in ontario the rule is that if your trailer weighs more than 6000lbs you must register the vehicle for the truck gvwr + trailer weight....if your trailer weighs less than 6000lbs(loaded) you can get away with just registering your truck for its gvwr.

Hope your not more confused now.