PDA

View Full Version : mechanical or jet agitation?

lazyike
05-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Looking at getting a skid sprayer but was wondering what type of agitation system to get? is there a benefit of one over the other? I would be using water soluble nitrogen and potash, does the mechanical agitation help dissolve the chemicals? I believe that jet agitation is more common if I get one of these do I have to use nitrogen and potash that is already in liquid form???

Thanks Mike

heritage
05-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Mike,

Mechanical helps keep Power Blue (nitroform) slow release N and Wettable Powders in suspension. You won't need this for Water Soluable Products.

I have Jet , and I use a Supramix plumbed into each tank, under high pressure. This system is next best thing to Mechanical IMO.

Pete D.

RigglePLC
05-27-2007, 08:15 AM
As you suspect, mechanical agitation is needed to dissolve the bagged dry urea and potash. With jet agitation the granules will often get sucked into the pump or filter---AND--it will stop pumping, no pressure at all.

I have had problems, although I use 4 nozzle jet agitation. I found I needed an elaborate filter system inside the tank to prevent the urea from being sucked into the filter and pump. I also use 4 jet agitation nozzles on the inlet hose to give the liquid more swirl.

Ric
05-27-2007, 09:25 AM
As you suspect, mechanical agitation is needed to dissolve the bagged dry urea and potash. With jet agitation the granules will often get sucked into the pump or filter---AND--it will stop pumping, no pressure at all.

I have had problems, although I use 4 nozzle jet agitation. I found I needed an elaborate filter system inside the tank to prevent the urea from being sucked into the filter and pump. I also use 4 jet agitation nozzles on the inlet hose to give the liquid more swirl.

Riggle

Like you I put 4 jets agitation nozzles to get the most agitation possible. And I will agree a Mechanical Agitation device is nice. However they are not on most Skid Sprayer. Most Skid sprayer do have a Screen Basket and by pouring your Urea Etc into that basket and filling with water you keep solids out of your pump.

I also realize that my spray rate of 5 gallons per thousand means less PPM of solution in my water and less chance of fall out. My mixing time may also be a lot less because of spraying 5 gallons per thousands. I am sure you don't like the take the time to pour each bag in slowly. I know I don't and just throw it on top and cut it to flow in fast.

DUSTYCEDAR
05-27-2007, 09:54 AM
more is better