PDA

View Full Version : Help! need advice on removing elec pto!

Green Quality
05-26-2007, 11:00 PM
My bearing went bad on pto clutch, it's on a briggs horizontal vanguard,with drive shaft on opposing side.How do i remove this pto? what do I need to do? thank for any Help!:usflag:

fixer67
05-27-2007, 12:51 AM
First get a can of WD-40, the BIG can and spray the bolt, clutch and shaft. USE THE WHOLE CAN. Let set for a while over night if you can. The remove the bolt and TRY to pull the clutch off. WARNING: CLUTCH MAY BE DESTROYED IN THE REMOVAL PROCESS!!! A about half the time they will just about fall off but the other half of the time you will start think that C-4 may be needed. I have had more than a few come off in pieces. I hate to even try to remove one unless I know it is trashed before I start because a lot of the time the will be by the time you are done. When you put the new one back remember to use a good anti-seize compound. Good luck

Green Quality
05-27-2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks,I think my problems is getting the blot loose When I turn the bolt the engine and drive shaft will move with it.behind the hor engine where the fly wheel is ,there's the drive shaft.I have too some how counter this movement to take this bolt out. can you help me on this one.this is a briggs vanguard upright moter. the bearing are shot on This pto When i start the engine i make sure the belt is off because the pto is running with or without blades knob being pulled.I hate to take this to the shop where they are going to charge $65 to 75 an hr.I sprayed wd 40 on it yesterday almost the whole can.:usflag:

Restrorob
05-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Feed about 6/8" of #4 1/2 or #5 recoil rope down the spark plug hole to pin the piston, Make sure the engine is coming up to compression stroke before doing this. Then go a inch or so past compression stroke before inserting rope to tighten bolt.

Green Quality
05-28-2007, 06:06 PM
THANKS Restrorob, and fixer67. worked liked a charm! instead of rope I used old 10 gauge or 12 extension cord.And with a whole can of wd-40 sitting on that pto for two days slide right off with one pull!Thanks a lot God bless!