PDA

View Full Version : 522,000sq ft in 3 hrs.

lazyike
05-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Just sprayed 522,000 sq. ft in 3 hrs. gotta love it when things go good.

indyturf
05-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Wow! what kind of equipment did you use?

lazyike
05-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Wow! what kind of equipment did you use?

I have a pull behind 60 gal. tank w/ 20ft. booms, I am putting down 20 gals per acre.

today I was able to run at 6mph and I had a 300 gal. nurse tank to speed up the refills.

http://www.schabenindustries.com/trailer.htm

Grandview
05-27-2007, 08:06 AM
I spray a few large acreages. I spray 4.5 gal/acre. You could have sprayed the entire job on one tank. Just think of the time you would saved. You probably spent more time filling than spraying. I use a tractor with 3 point sprayers with 50-110 gal tanks. Although my tractor can handle 75 gals tops.

Runner
05-27-2007, 01:23 PM
There is no way to compete with either one of you guys when it comes to wide open area spraying. For the time it would take to do area like that with a smaller sprayer, it would be like going out and doing a lawn with a squirtgun.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are on these wider sprayers like you guys have. I would LOVE to have something like that in the future - even if it is a smaller trailer type (I don't have an adequate sized tractor for thi, yet).
I see tru-brown around town all the time, and they have a pretty nice looking setup on the back of a JD tractor.

Ric
05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
There is no way to compete with either one of you guys when it comes to wide open area spraying. For the time it would take to do area like that with a smaller sprayer, it would be like going out and doing a lawn with a squirtgun.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are on these wider sprayers like you guys have. I would LOVE to have something like that in the future - even if it is a smaller trailer type (I don't have an adequate sized tractor for thi, yet).
I see tru-brown around town all the time, and they have a pretty nice looking setup on the back of a JD tractor.

Joe

Why wait when you can have The ablity to spray wide areas now with your present equipment.

TeeJet's website is down right now but here is the answer from Northern tool. TeeJet makes a number of Boom Less sprayer Nozzles that can be configured in any manner you like.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326933_200326933

I actually use a TeeJet and have it mounted on a Reese type trailer hitch. The Spray heads are cheap and the Remote Solenoid is only $ 150 for SS and $ 125 for non SS. This all Fast snaps into a skid sprayer that is trailer mounted in my case and pulled by my Pick up. But most have their skid Sprayer mounted on a truck that would eliminate the need for my trailer. BTW I have a smaller set up mounted on the Ric-A-Green made from a Walker Mower. This uses a 12V spot Sprayer and works great.

lawn king
05-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Bigger seems to be better when spraying wide open areas. I just purchased an 80 gallon demco, 3 pt, pto unit. Im thinking i will get 80 to 160 thousand sq. ft. per tank depending on what product im spraying.

turf hokie
05-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I just use my z-max and a 200 gal nurse tank for the large sites. I get about 90 thousand sq ft out of the 2 20 gal tanks on the machine.

Although I wouldnt have gotten 520k done in 3 hours. On a spray only I could do about 450k on the wide open turf but the z can be put anywhere I need it to.

Ric
05-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Yo

What are you guys spraying at such a low gallon rate per acre??? What type of problems, if any are you having keeping that product in solution??? Also if this is herbicide I can see two problem. 1st not getting enough coverage and 2nd because of High AI burning where overlaps occur. In the case of Pasture management these are not big factors, But on fine turf they could be.

BTW I plan to Chemically mow my own yard some time today. I use 1 gallon per thousand finish spray and will only do about an acre. I will use a Walker mower with a 25 Gallon 12V spot sprayer and ONE Teejet boom-less Spray nozzle. Hopefully it will last about 6 weeks before I have to mow it again.

teeca
05-28-2007, 12:00 PM
i run 1.5gal per k dragging hose applying fert/pre/weed/micros. problem with running higher rates of liquid, you need to fill more often (and i can saftely get 1.5gpm out of my 3/8 hose, getting 2gpm is running 90psi and the cost of fuel and ware on the pump/diaphrams and spray gun) i run 1.5gpm at low RPM at 30psi seems to work out fine.

turf hokie
05-28-2007, 12:22 PM
I am spraying lesco eliminate at 1 oz per 1,000 in .4 gal of water per 1,000 out of the z spray and the PG we are spraying at .25 gal of water per 1,000.
It is a liquid so there is no problem keeping it in solution.

Results are terrific for us. No control problems on any weeds even the small leaf weeds that has been discussed on this board before.

We dont drag hose anymore unless it is a hill that cant be applied with a machine.

Ric
05-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I am spraying lesco eliminate at 1 oz per 1,000 in .4 gal of water per 1,000 out of the z spray and the PG we are spraying at .25 gal of water per 1,000.
It is a liquid so there is no problem keeping it in solution.

Results are terrific for us. No control problems on any weeds even the small leaf weeds that has been discussed on this board before.

We dont drag hose anymore unless it is a hill that cant be applied with a machine.

Turf hokie

As I guessed you are only spraying Herbicides and doing insect and Fertilizer with Granules. From what I have seen the Z Sprayer is a Better choice than the PG. But you have answered my question about coverage. I am still wondering about Over Lap burn?? I will admit when I chemically mow it is not a big concern. I have yet to strip Chemically Mowing.

BTW Once calibrated and set up Chemical mowing is rather fast and easy to do. However the marketing of such service is the struggle. Government is starting to pick up on Chemical Mowing but once again you must deal with the Bureaucratic system. Large farmers have their own equipment and that leaves the small gentleman farmer or estate owner as the Target market. I believe as prices go up with gasoline this may open up the Small land owner to the idea of Chemical mowing. Chemical mowing on ground cover turf is a lot different than Growth Regulators on Fine Turf. Like the shoe maker who has no shoes, I have no fine turf personally. Today, If I get my lazy self off the computer, I plan to try some additives to my mix to enhance the Color of my turf. I will start very lightly and try to keep cost per thousand down so I might be able to Price this service in an affordable range for Landowners. I see it would have to have a big cost saving as well as Ecstatic value in order to sell. Their are many Markets for our services that are not in the Main Steam, finding and promoting those markets is a Missionary sales job.

turf hokie
05-28-2007, 04:05 PM
Ric--
So far we have not had any issues with overlap burn. However, I have purchased a foam marking set-up to help us with our passes. B/C it is only a matter of time before we over lap too much as have a problem. Besides I hate applying more material than I have to as it just hits the bottom line.

bntt68
05-28-2007, 05:01 PM
Turf Hokie? What foam marker setup do you use? Thanks, Brent

rcreech
05-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I have been using a Turf Tracker and it works great for me! You can put it on a boom up to 20' and can switch from left to right with the flip of a switch.

turf hokie
05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
I have been using a Turf Tracker and it works great for me! You can put it on a boom up to 20' and can switch from left to right with the flip of a switch.

bntt68
http://www.turftracker.com/home.htm
This is where I got mine same as above. I have not gotten it in the field yet. But this is supposedly the system that you can get on the z-spray directly from lt rich

Grassworks Inc.
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
I' ve got a Hahn Multi-spray with a Raven on it. 18 ft boom, output controlled by groundspeed. Running 38 gal per acre for pre/post/fert, but can adjust output on the fly for fungy (130 gal/acre). Can do 4.2 acres per load at the 38 gal/acre rate. Using Delavan raindrop nozzles that have a wide output range. Also have a Lesco 100 gal tow-behind sprayer with a 15' boom that I tow with a Polaris 800 for pasture spraying.

turf hokie
05-29-2007, 11:30 PM
I' ve got a Hahn Multi-spray with a Raven on it. 18 ft boom, output controlled by groundspeed. Running 38 gal per acre for pre/post/fert, but can adjust output on the fly for fungy (130 gal/acre). Can do 4.2 acres per load at the 38 gal/acre rate. Using Delavan raindrop nozzles that have a wide output range. Also have a Lesco 100 gal tow-behind sprayer with a 15' boom that I tow with a Polaris 800 for pasture spraying.

pre/post/fert,
Do you do sub work for Brickman? That is a term I have really only heard out of them. Just curious.

Grassworks Inc.
05-29-2007, 11:43 PM
pre/post/fert,
Do you do sub work for Brickman? That is a term I have really only heard out of them. Just curious.

lol, I do some work for them.

americanlawn
05-30-2007, 07:30 PM
lazyike - seems like you have it down pat. Congrats! It sure beats gragging the hose.
We sold our JD 15/21 foot boom sprayer cuz we only had about 8 (out of 3000) lawns we could use it on. Now we use a LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader on our big ones, and PG Ultras on lawns about 10,000 to 30,000 square feet.