PDA

View Full Version : How do you???

leeslawncare
05-27-2007, 01:11 AM
How do you guys price your jobs?sq ft? I cut grass an landscape . But on a RARE time i have a client ask to have the driveway sealed.Once a year type of thing . I genneraly measure the drive an buy the premiume 5 gal buckets an do it for my time 35.00 per hour . most drives take approx 2 hrs.
Just throwing out a question for you guys that do this for a livin .... so don't beat me down.I have no time for that . Just interesting conversation!

denangme
05-27-2007, 02:19 AM
By the SQ. FT. for me, but not the same for each job. I take into consideration things like condition of driveway or lot, prep work (dirt, oil, lots of edging etc...), also traveling distance (check gas prices lateley?). Insurance, contractors licenses, wear and tear on equipment, and last but not least, the need to support my family.

onahill
05-27-2007, 01:20 PM
$75 to $100 per 1000sq feet

denangme
05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Wow, Onahill.......That's cheap. Wanna do my drive? I don't do a 1,000 sq.ft. for less than $175.00

onahill
05-28-2007, 10:16 AM
lol, All of the large companies in our area advertise $99 for a 1000sq feet.

The catch, it does not include prep or crack filling.

Snow plowing is cheaper here too.

denangme
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
My price would normally include the prep, if it's a routine edging, blowing off. Priming oil spots and crack sealing are extra though. Sealer jumped at least 50 cents a gallon from last year, and people are still doing it for 8 to 10 cents a sq.ft. around here too. I won't do it for less than 14 cents, and it has to be an easy one for that price. My supplier gets 19 to 22 cents a sq.ft. all day long. I don't know how, but he does. Good thing he's far enough away that I don't get into his territory and I wind up getting accused of low-balling.:laugh:

onahill
05-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't do a 1,000 sq.ft. for less than $175.00
denangme;1844309]My price would normally include the prep, if it's a routine edging, blowing off. Priming oil spots and crack sealing are extra though.

I won't do it for less than 14 cents

.14x1000=$140per 1000sq,

Not Including prep, crack fill and oil spots?

So $75 to $99 for 1000sq just for sealer, Prep, crack fill, oil spots are extra.
Once you add it up my rates they are inline with what my competition is charging.

A 1000sq of good asphalt that has been sealed before will take how much sealer?
Less than $20 bucks worth of bulk sealer and less than 30min to apply.
Charge to customer $99=$79 in profit.

EWS
05-28-2007, 05:08 PM
onahill.... $79.00 in profit.. hmmm intresting.. do you pay commercial insurance, car insurance, GAS, gas to get to the job, gas to get the sealer, gas for your edgers, blowers, oil... maintanence. how about your spray unit, cost for upkeep... hoses, spray tips.. squegees, brushs brooms. Taxes, accountant fees, advertising, caution tape and stakes to block driveways. come on now why is it that people are just so nieve. I have over $200.000 invested in sealer equipment and trucks and you telling me $79.00 for a hrs worth of work is alot. take out the expenses and you may have 10 cents.
I have a $165.00 minimum.. thats if its a quick clean and spray job, the more cutting the higher cost... I usually charge 16-22 cents a sq ft residential, and 9-15 commercial all day long, and I get it.. too many wanabee sealcoaters out there.

onahill
05-28-2007, 09:03 PM
[:rolleyes:

Relax there big spray guy.
He wants to know about sealing a few of his customers drives.

He does not need an expensive spray rig.
All he needs is one or two 55 gal drums and a squeegee.
Some crack filler and some oil spot treatment and a broom or pressure washer to clean it with.
I bet his over head is a little less than yours

Also, he can his supplies at the same place you get yours.

Yes and two stakes and some yellow caution ribbon to close off the drive with..... Dam.:cry: . that broke the bank:dizzy:

Lastly,a sprayed residential drive look like crap.
The rebound goes everywhere and it gets on the grass.

EWS
05-28-2007, 10:47 PM
you still need insurance, which most of you fakes dont have. taxes must be paid which is about 40 percent of your profit. sales tax, federal, state, fico, workers comp, and so on. and we never get any spray on the grass, we use backer boards or edge around everything with a squegee. so if you only wanna do 10 driveways a season and not 1million plus sq ft that us professionals do than go get a real job and leave sealcoating to the professionals. and I was not commenting on anyone but your replies. only a homeowner should seal there driveway by hand. spray looks the best whgen done correctly. I bet you anything that if I took pictures of my driveways and compared them to yours mine will look 10 times better and more professionaly done. and we dont pull up to a customers house in a beat up truck with sealer all over, white t shirs and shorts on with 2 dollars in equipment. seriously people like you lowballers are what screw up the business. luckily for me my customers are loyal and they know my prices are a bit higher but the work will be done right the first time, they can call me and I will answer my phone and call them back. and lastly Im sure you have never been to any conventions, seminars, training or even have a dba..

EWS
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
also you should never pressure wash a driveway, it just makes a mess.. you just use a power broom to break up dirt and blow it out

denangme
05-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Onahill, yes, I can do the math. $175.00 is as low as I'll go regardless of what .14 cents a sq.ft. totals. Like I mentioned before and EWS reitterated. With all those other expenses, it wouldn't be worth my time to go any lower. And yes, I understand that he only has one or two drives, but that wasn't the question. It was what do "we" do.......

onahill
05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
EWS,

You are full of your self.
Every one knows you are not going cover all of your expenses sealing one drive.
Anyway thats not what he asked.

A million in Ins is cheep,for me it is anyway and I bet he already has INS.

1. You can drag your dripping sloppy side, backer boards back to your trailer.
It still gets on the grass,house,garage and cars.

2.Spraying does a poor job of getting sealer into the asphalt.

You are so full of yourself!

EWS QUOTE "Im sure you have never been to any conventions, seminars, training or even have a dba"

What an assumption!
My dba,Onahill property services LLC, Minnesota

What's yours? Big guy?
(I know you will gloss over this since you were wrong)

You needed to go to a seminar given buy a manufacture to learn how to apply sealer?:dizzy:

I worked for a local Co.for years that used a spray rig and squeegees.
I know the down fall of both systems.

Not everyone wants to spend all of there time in a lot spraying sealer.
Spraying may be a good way to do a lot but not res drives.

A pic does not show the quality of the job.

Now the pressure washer, you know you can get different nozzles for it so it works like a power-broom and uses less water.

I found it to be much better than using a blower.

You have a lot of overhead.
I do not.

It's me and 2 par-time employees.
I have no desire at my age to spend my life working in a parking lot
with the temp over 100 playing with sealer.

We only seal res drives and a couple of small commercial lots.

I charge the same as everyone else in my area $75 to $100 per 1000sq feet.
Some I do charge less because there repeat customers or the drive is in good shape.
So, you can shove that lowballer stuff up your hole.

Bottom line is my overhead is less so my profit margin is larger than yours.:cool2:

leeslawncare
05-29-2007, 10:42 PM
I'am in lawncare like i said b-4 on a rare ask i do this .I do have ins. an lisc. to cut grass . Like i asked b-4 don't kill me for asking this question.I'am not out here to put you guys under! just asked for some simple good conversation .Thanks again for all your replys

EWS
05-30-2007, 09:33 AM
wasnt barking at you leeslawncare... But Im sure you dont have insurance to sealcoat. Im sure you wouldnt pay extra for insurance to sealcoat if you only do 1-2 a year. most insurance companies charge quite a bit more, usually about 500.00 more a year to add sealcoating because of the liability.. so if you only do a few why would you pay more for insurance.

Onahill kinda funny your business name doesnt come up on duns. nor any yellowbook ad, big guy. well Im glad too see that at least you have a LLC so when you dont pay any taxes the irs cant come after you personaly.

conventions are good to go to not to learn how to apply sealer, but o meet people, get new contacts, learn about new equipment, technology. striping, infrared repairs, and so on.... and being that coal tar is eventually gonna be gone you should learn about other types of sealer.

as for spraying sealer when it is a 100 degrees. not happening, you should never apply sealer when it is that hot. The sealer will dry very fast and wont cure properly, only the top will seal. but than again you should know this since you have been in the business so long..Plus I dont play with sealer....

so you charge 7.5 to 10 cents a sq ft... that must be some really good black water, or do you buy 10 gallons of gilonsite add some gas and vanella extract and shoot that crap..

You are a lowballer in every way. let me break this down to you...

1000 sq ft driveway, to do a quality job

sealer 17 gallons @ 2$ a gallon 34.00
gas for your truck to get sealer and get to the customer say $6.00
car Insurance and liability say $3.00
edger, brooms pressure water, say $5.00
stakes and warning tape $2.00

so you have $50.00 invested

you charge $100.00 - 50= $50.00 subract 35% for taxes 17.50.. so that leaves you with 32.50.. Oh yea plus you have to pay your 2 part time employees, so lets say a half hrs pay each, 8.00 plus fico 7.5 percent... exactly you dont pay taxessss...... LOWBALLER. and im sure these part time employees are paid under the table and you have no workers comp...

onahill
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
EWS;

You never answer my Q.
What is your DBA?

You are so over priced what do you use diamond dust instead of sand?

You are right! I DO NOT PAY TAXES! THE CUSTOMER DOES!
You add the tax to the bill. It goes at the bottom of your invoice.
You then add up the bill and give it to the customer to pa

I do not need 2 employees to help me seal 1000sq.
Do you send 3guys to seal a 1000sq?:dizzy:

Come and move into my city with your inflated prices and you will starve.

But like I said he just wanted to know how to seal a few of his customers drives and I gave better advice.

You will not find me in any advertisement.(yellow pages) (I don't need to.)
If you want to look up any info you would look up my DBA, I'm registered with the state.<hint
The name you put on the LLC reg is your DEBA.

NOW, before you skirt My Q again.

What is your DBA?

EWS
05-30-2007, 02:38 PM
MY dba Is EWS INC. yes the customer does pay tax.. sales tax....... but than you have to pay self employment taxes, income taxes, federal and state, workers comp for your employees and there fico 7.5 percent. But than again working for the money you make you probably dont have any tax liabilty. I really think you should go and work for someone, you do not know how to operate a business. What kind of vehicles can you afford with doing driveways that cheap. do you snowplow also... any driveway 10.00....

EWS
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
You dont even have a DUNS number, why dont you googlee it because Im sure you dont know what a duns number is

Michael J. Donovan
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I suggest trying to stick with the idea of what you charge and how you price things out and not get into a big discussion on who's bigger, better, has more, etc. One of you can charge one way and one can charge another, with one making more profit then the other.

I thought the thread was intended to be about how people base their pricing for sealing a driveway, right?

Thanks.

Pave_A_Lot
06-02-2007, 11:56 PM
We charge $.12-.24 a SQ That also includes a 2-Year guarantee, Prep & cold pour crack filling
(hot pour we charge $3-5/per lin ft)

Be the highest priced alot of people are not looking for the cheapest job there looking for the most bang for there buck so to speak

If you can get your potential costomers to compare Apples to Apples 90% of the time the job will be yours at what ever you want a SQ FT give them something that other contractors are not offering

gypsyraised
06-04-2007, 02:29 AM
ews please dont be offended,but you do come off like a poster child for why buy the big boy stuff....but i noticed your not an llc...maybe thats why your prices seem so high to some of us...see i have an llc with an s election,it means that only my company is liable..not my personal holding....and stow this one away for a bit too my friend...with the llc and s election you only pay the tax on whats left after expenses payroll ect......and with that big money stuff you run,or talk about....you could use the s election to depreciate the equipment over 5 yrs.....no offense but to me you talk like someone who is trying to sell me equipment and not doing the work....try a few tax seminars or consult a local acct and maybe you wont have to charge those high rates....but what do i know,i,m just some gypsy kid with a few degrees and mom n dad that taught me about being in business,,instead of taking a job...i wish you well either way.....my dad always said your hands can make ya money but your ears will get ya rich....and the original thread...hey buddy get a few buckets of brewers coat...get the tar tough mixture put it on with a squeegee or broom n finish with a nice horse hair broom...each 5 gallon bucket should give you 3-5 hundred sq ft.... might even get a tan while you at it....

EWS
06-05-2007, 02:27 PM
I think your confused gypsie, Im not a LLC, I am a corporation, I have it filed under a s corporation. . I dont take any offense to you. I also do the work, I dont sell equipment. My revenue, with sealing, paving, crack repair, striping, landscaping, sweeping and snowplowing is around 10 millon a year. I have 10 full time employees and 15 part timers and I subcontract some work. I also have a degree Its called a MBA from Syracuse University. And I have a Acct.. I also stated in precious posts that I am a corp. and I have attended seminars. I charge the prices I charge because I can, we do quality work offer a 2 year warranty on sealing, we dont water down are sealer, we use the right amount of sand, and we dont get sealer all over the house, concrete, grass and so forth, and IM not saying you do either. I think your confused because you still have to pay fico, workers comp, liabilty, car insurance, gas, maintienance, registration, wages, and feed your family, if you do it correctly, which not a lot of people do than you have a lot of expenses. I have been in this business for a very long time and I am continuing to grow. while Im knocking out all the competion around me, so my prices must not be that bad. why is it people are charging 1985 prices in 2007. Take a 1500 sq ft driveway, say you charge 200.00 dollars... you use 25 gallons. what homeowner wont pay 200.00 for a professional sealcoating job with a 2 year warranty for 200.00... 5 buckets of sealer at 20.00 bucks a bucket for the good stuff, which is still inferior than the stuff we can buy. your looking at 120.00 in sealer another 10.00 for a squegee, your saturday is blown away and all you save is 70.00 dollars to have dirty clothes and sealer on your garage doors and concrete. so dont tell me my prices are high... people who charge 135.00 for that size driveway are pricing to low.... I must also say that I get 98 percent of the work I quote... with no one trying to bicker on the price

gypsyraised
06-05-2007, 09:00 PM
well one great thing is we can charge what we wish,and i dont know your location,i,m just comparing it to mine,i also offer a two year guareentee ,in my area 10-12 cents a foot is mid to high...i personally just bid a lot with 300,00p sq ft...and there is no chance that i would have got the bid had i been anywhere near that figure....so what i bid was 8 cents per foot.......somehow i,ll survive...my comments were mainly directed at you concerning the way you come off on smaller type sealing businesses{though i am not one}i was taught to never bad mouth anothers work or price...it just never looks good....as for fica and insurance and ect...well i,m up north and my people dont work in the winter so for me its more cost effectice to 1099 em with a good wage...just makes good sense for me...btw what was your bachelors degree in?

EWS
06-05-2007, 11:12 PM
When your quoting commerical area 30000 sq ft 8 cents a sq ft for 1 coat is fine depending on quality of pavement.. I actually have 2 bachelors I was a double major, Political sci, accounting. and than went for my Mba... Crazy that I make more money getting dirty everyday than sitting in a office with my 200k I invested for a piece of paper. But than again Knowledge is power. I never meant to come down hard on anyone. all i was trying to say is when you charge lowball figures 6-8 c a sq ft on a 1000 sq ft job it hurts everyone else. I enjoy what I do and I make sure evry job big or small is done to the quality and workmanship that I expect. remeember that old saying you get what you pay for..

gypsyraised
06-05-2007, 11:25 PM
actually 30,000 was a typo..its 300,000 its gonna be fine with a single coat...on the degree thing...i have just two myself...theology and culinary arts....lifes a funny thing huh?

leeslawncare
06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Damn guys ...I didn't mean to start all this stuff.. If any of you would look at my first post. ...Give this old dog a rest.! You guys are as bad as the comm lawncare thread !! LOL!!!!

EWS
06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Thank You......................................................

SealAndCoat
06-11-2007, 11:07 PM
All you low ballers need to raise your prices. You guys are just making the whole industry look bad.

How do you expect to expand and grow your business and make a profit charging chump change?

Wouldnt you rather seal 10 driveways rather than 20 for the same profit?

You failed to mention what kind of equipment you use. Are you one of those guys driving around in a pick-up truck with a get-rich-quick square tank setup?

EWS
06-12-2007, 11:26 PM
thanks seal and coat, that is what I have been saying all this time... too many lowballers and people who do a few jobs on the side and charging way to low. Im getting 16-20 a sq ft all day long for resi.. and 10-16 for commercial.....

gypsyraised
06-14-2007, 02:12 AM
ok guys..maybe it because it not my 1st business..maybe its because i have some experience...maybe i just differ..but heres my take...if your doing driveways for 10-11 cents...like me your paying..close to $1.60 a gal for good sealer,with rising gas cost,equipment depriciation,taxes,and operating cost...you should still be in the 70% profit range...charging for cracks n cleanup{when heavy extra}its still a very good margin of profit in a service industry..where 50 percent is good....its not low balling...its good business sense.....the cream of this business is in the repeat customer...if you treat them well you,ll have them...if not...where did you say you work?i,m teasing,but i do differ on price....its a good thing your not a local competitor...because that 16 cents a foot would have ya watching soap operas on sunny days...but hey if you can get it and do good more power to ya

EWS
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
wow you are only paying 1.60 a gallon thats cheap. Im paying 1.85 for AE and 1.91 for coal tar and thats with my discount. everyone else is paying 1.95 ae and 2.01 coal tar... some customers that are repeats you can give em a break but I said it before and I will say it again I get almost every job I quote. some people try to jew me down but I dont budge and they end up calling me to do the job. See I look at it like this, almost every time someone calls me from the phonebook or newspaper they say how they called 6 other guys and im the first to call back. thats a clue right there, so I go up and give a estimate and say I charge 16 c a foot for a 100 sq ft driveway, and I get 160.00 but Joe blows sealcoating will do it for 100.00 but you cant get them to call u back in a timely manner. who would you want to go with the guy who is charging 60.00 dollars more and answers messages. and you know if there are any problems you can get a hold of them... I actually went out and priced a few jobs with a friend that used to seal in my area but for some reason isnt sealing anymore, hint hint... well we went too a few places that called him and he asked me what I had to get to seal a parking lot I told him and he told the owner. the owner said to him wow thats double what you quoted melast year... now you know why he isnt in business anymore....moral of the story dont lowball or you will just bury urself. and gypsy this isnt directed at you, you seem to be doing quite well.... you know who to charge and who too give breaks too.

denangme
06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
$2.05 to $2.20 gallon here.....!!! :cry: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

gypsyraised
06-19-2007, 12:37 AM
hey i take no offense,and i,m glad you can get that price,around here i see alot of competition...good god this one guy is doing them for like .06 a foot..but as for sealer prices,i had those same prices quoted to me at the beginning of the year...i just threatened to go bulk on my disrtibutar,and i buy from the plant direct in new boston...i just have to sell 7000 gallons a month...this guy that {lowballs}me at .06 per foot...i dont say a thing..i just go on...i had one customer with his quote in hand ask me why i was so high...i explained what i charge and what i do...and wished them well with their low bidder...anyway hey guys i wish us all well...if you guys can get a better buy in bulk n need the carrier...i,ve got a brand new never used platic pco 1500 gall storage tank you can have for 150.00...its like 500.00 new...take care guys

primetyme1978
06-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow you guys are funny. I read this thread just see what is going to be said next. Any way I am doing a drive for and old lady that my mom knows, it is 4200 sq ft with 100 to 150 ft worth of crack to be filled and minimal clean up. What would you guys charge for a job this size? Thanks for your input.

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Wow you guys are funny. I read this thread just see what is going to be said next. Any way I am doing a drive for and old lady that my mom knows, it is 4200 sq ft with 100 to 150 ft worth of crack to be filled and minimal clean up. What would you guys charge for a job this size? Thanks for your input.

Depends on what your using and what your paying. For my compound at the cost I pay I'd charge $500 to $700 plus about $100 for the crack filling (but I'd have to see the cracks so dont take that price too seriously.

shepoutside
06-21-2007, 12:22 AM

$675 + 100-150 for the cracks :D

primetyme1978
06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks. That is what I came up with was $700 for seal plus $100 for cracks. Cracks are not to bad. Thanks for the help.

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
shepoutside, what are you using to seal? Do you spray or brush by hand? Just curious...

EWS
06-21-2007, 08:56 AM
I would charge $700.00 plus $125 for the cracks...... onahill would do the whole job for $250.00......lol

denangme
06-21-2007, 04:15 PM
HEHEHE..........you guys are toooo much! :laugh:

Dunlaps LawnCare
09-17-2007, 11:31 PM
15cents a sq ft not including prepwork&crack fill

TheDrivewayDoctor
09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm getting $0.20 per sq foot and I charge anywhere from $10 to $25 for crack filling and oil stain treatment. For parking lots I charge $0.15 per sq foot.

shepoutside
09-18-2007, 06:27 PM
shepoutside, what are you using to seal? Do you spray or brush by hand? Just curious...

I spray here ( sorry, just saw your post, lol )

oceanpro
01-02-2008, 05:30 AM
I have a snowplowing business. I am thinking of starting a seal coating business. I see that as in the snowplowing business that seal coating business has its share of lowballers. I used to get really mad (like EWS) at lowballers. But I have learned that chances are they will not be in business very long and will not deliver the quality work that was promised. If someone wants a cheep job I would rather that they hire a lowballer.
As for EWS, It sounds like you have been very successful and I bet the reason is your reputation for quality work, not being the cheepest. I have learned that happy customers = the best advertising your business can have, WORD OF MOUTH. I have spent a lot of money advertising but most of my business comes from referals from my current customers.
Just my 2 cents

EWS
01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Good luck on that sealcoating is a good business and profitable as long as you dont cut corners, charge right and build a good reputation. Im also in the snowplowing business and after last winter here a lot of the lowballers are gone and I had to add more trucks this year. I dont know where in alaska you are but you might have to use a gilsonite sealer with a heated system because of the temps. coal tar and AE dont work good for temps below 50 and if you only get a few warm days it wouldnt be really profitable. if you need any advice let me know..

pusher21
01-05-2008, 07:07 PM
not trying to jack the thread but do you guys have any info on where i can learn more about sealing. I currently do snow in the winter and would like to find something to do in the summer and seal coating looks to be a interesting option. TIA Jordan

oceanpro
01-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I live in the Anchorage area. We have about 3 months of good weather where the low temp would be 50 or above.
I know that its a pretty short season but I feel that it would be a good add on to my snow plowing business. I know that I could sell this service to my existing customers as long as my price was reasonable. I will not even try to compete with Lowballers that use 5gal. buckets and bid at 10 bucks an hour.
I pay my taxes, carry insurance and I believe that the best way to make your business grow is to charge enough to make a decent profit and most important always do a first class job.
The question of this type of business being profitable with such a short season, depends on what my startup costs will be and additional insurance.
I strongly believe in having the right equipment for the job. I plan on doing residential and small commercial lots. Any suggestions on equipment packages would be helpfull.
I may also do the striping on the smaller simple jobs but I will most likely sub out any striping larger lots.

shepoutside
01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
not trying to jack the thread but do you guys have any info on where i can learn more about sealing. I currently do snow in the winter and would like to find something to do in the summer and seal coating looks to be a interesting option. TIA Jordan

Hello there. Here are some links to get info, from places in Ontario

http://www.marathonequipmentinc.com

http://www.protectasphalt.com

Hope this helps, pm me if there is anything you need. :canadaflag: