PDA

View Full Version : W Series (Cabover) or C Series (Kodiak)?

RedWingsDet
05-27-2007, 02:24 AM
I need another truck, bigger than what I have now. Im not sure if I want the cab over W series, or a C series (like a kodiak).

The W series has a much bigger box, a big storage compartment, longer warranty,and is cheaper ($35,000). The only thing holding me back is I hate how ugly cab overs are. The sides on the dump are about 4-5ft tall and it also has a side door.

The C series is just your average dump body with fold down sides (which I love) and it has a locking diff. and that is going for $37,000, but it doesnt have as long of a warranty and more expensive and not as big of a box.

The only thing really holding me back is:
1. the w series is ugly.
2. you cant plow with the w series.
3. you can haul more with the w series.
4. you can see more with the w series.
5. w series is cheaper.

so im really not quite sure on what to do here. its a tough decision. I know I WANT the C series, but I think the W series is a better investment.

what do you think?

Gravel Rat
05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I would stay away from the W series cabovers they are cheap rattle traps go with the C series 7500 or 8500 trucks. A cabover dump you never can get enough weight over the rear axle the truck is always front axle heavy. You need a conventional cab for a dump you need the wheelbase. The only benefit of the cabover is turning radius but other than that cab overs are horrible.

lawn king
05-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Im in total disagreement with gravel rat on this. Cabovers are great medium duty trucks and the diesels are great on fuel! My npr hd, plows,dumps,trailers my kubota, hauls 4 tons of fertilizer or 10 yards of much, turns on a dime, the ac cranks, its simple to service, the list goes on and on! Why do you think more and more companys are going to cabovers, they are great medium duty trucks!

mow king
05-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Im in total disagreement with gravel rat on this. Cabovers are great medium duty trucks and the diesels are great on fuel! My npr hd, plows,dumps,trailers my kubota, hauls 4 tons of fertilizer or 10 yards of much, turns on a dime, the ac cranks, its simple to service, the list goes on and on! Why do you think more and more companys are going to cabovers, they are great medium duty trucks!

I agree with lawn king..

gene gls
05-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I agree with lawn king..

I also agree with Lawn King. How much weight are you looking to haul? I made custom sides for my truck that one person can remove to have a flat bed. What year trucks are you quoting prices on?

Gravel Rat
05-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Keep in mind if he is looking at C series its minimum 6500 (3 ton) trucks.

RedWingsDet
05-27-2007, 11:41 PM
I did some pros and cons today, Im leaning towards the C4500, but Im still not sure on what to do. I do alot of sod jobs and I think the C would be alot better than the W. What do others think?

RedWingsDet
05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I was also throwing around the idea of a hooklift, but my budget is $40k, could I get a hooklift perhaps a few years old for that price? Thanks again

Gravel Rat
05-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Trying to find a hooklift for that will be next to imposible if you do it will be well worn out.

SiteSolutions
05-28-2007, 01:46 AM
C Series if you want to haul anything heavy. I loaded a guy's cabover with dirt and trash to be hauled off... we practically had to hand unload it, and the bed was only about a third full. My 84 C7000 has hauled 11 tons of crushed stone (got the quarry ticket to prove it) and dumped it no problem, although I don't think I will ever purposefully carry more than 8 or 9 tons in it in the future. It will haul 6 tons of material in the bed while towing a 5 ton trailer + bobcat, although it won't set any speed or mileage records doing it.

However, the arguments in favor of the W seem to make sense, if you will be mostly hauling mulch and towing a couple mowers. The right tool depends on the job you are trying to do.

mag360
05-28-2007, 12:53 PM
I was also throwing around the idea of a hooklift, but my budget is $40k, could I get a hooklift perhaps a few years old for that price? Thanks again

You can get a brand new switch'and'go setup on a lightly used chassis in that price range.

jfmx345
05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
I will say that if you decide on going with the C series, get a 5500. Any Chevy/GMC dealer can stock and sell 4500 trucks, only Medium duty dealers can sell the 5500 and can usually sell them for almost the same price as a 4500. Bigger/better for similar price and you can still get a 5500 4wd if you need to.

sgrprincees
05-28-2007, 02:42 PM
I assume you've test driven both? I thought the decision would have been made pretty easy after that; I personally love the visibility and turning radius on the LCF trucks. If you're going to have an employee drive the truck, not brushing into one parked car or mailbox with a corner of the bumper will make it worth it. Whoever is driving it will also find a w-series to be a more relaxing truck to drive. If you're going to do a lot of sod jobs, try to find a w-series with a contractor dump (fold down sides).

Sure the LCF trucks aren't the cutest things around, but you're in business. Your primary goal in that business is likely to make money, not simply own nice looking trucks. I think the w-series is a better truck for the typical light duty (compared to hauling rip-rap) application.

In response to SiteSolutions, the truck you saw needs a better hoist, your truck wouldn't dump if it had his hoist on it. That has nothing to do with the chassis.

Lawnworks
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Supposedly those Chevy 4500s and 5500s get 8mpg even w/ the diesel. I think they look awesome... but I would end up w/ an isuzu if it were my choice. I own a w3500 and and frr... they are both great trucks. If you really want to haul some material get an frr... they will haul whatever you want and have more balls than an npr. Mine has a 7.8L 6-cylinder, air assisted brakes, and a real exhaust brake w/ 19.5 gvrw.

Are you set on getting a new one? Why not save 20k and buy one w/ 50k miles?

Are you going to be hauling a bobcat?

SiteSolutions
05-28-2007, 05:56 PM
In response to SiteSolutions, the truck you saw needs a better hoist, your truck wouldn't dump if it had his hoist on it. That has nothing to do with the chassis.

I dunno. It definitely needed more hoist but the whole truck seemed to lean when he tried to lift it. We had to shovel stuff around to shift weight to the center and towards the back of the bed. Maybe 5 or 6 tons of stuff? I am sure the hoist was matched to the chassis, the chassis to the engine, the tires, etc... engineers design trucks and they tend to think that way. As a package, the whole thing was obviously not designed to carry heavy material and dump it out. If he had that same truck with a 20 ton hoist, it probably would have laid over when he raised it up.

You're right about the hoist, tho... if I had that hoist, I would have a giant pickup truck, not a dump truck.:laugh:

kyfireman2004
05-28-2007, 06:19 PM
What kind of mpg can you get with a cab over?

Lawnworks
05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
What kind of mpg can you get with a cab over?

My box truck w3500 gets about 12mpg... and my FRR landscape body gets about the same believe or not.

mini14
05-28-2007, 08:14 PM
why is everyone comparing apples to oranges....c series is old news, since buying my cabover 7 years ago the only $$ put into it was oil changes and 1 set of tires...its like a pb400 versus a ebz8001 and belive me ive owned c series truck before, never ever again.u get what u pay for. durajunks and powerjokes.

BMFD92
05-30-2007, 10:39 PM
I have been in the same boat your in, i was looking at both the w and the c series but i think i will eventually get a w series or isuzu

ksss
05-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I have a 5500 4X4 crew cab. The mileage does suck if you leave them stock. I put a PPE programer on and jumped the mileage to 13 mph up from 9 mpg. As the truck has aged the mileage has improved. I have 30K on the clock and it has had two unscheduled trips to the dealer in that period. It is by far the best towing platform I have driven. Extremely stable even with 35K pounds combined weight. It is exceptional on slick roads. We ran all Winter 160 miles one way to the top of Big Sky, Mt 9000 feet pulling a 12K mini or skid steer. The power is decent but not jaw dropping. Off road capabilty is exceptional. The high ground clearance and large tires make it a great truck if your working in unimproved areas. The side bonuses are it is an eye catcher. I have my logo spread across the truck and always gets comments. I also think resale will be much better that a cabover.

Downside is it is rough riding, interior is cheap plastic. Nothing has broke but it certainly isn't built with the same materials as the HD pickups are. There are small things that I have come to appreciate in the GMC trucks (3/4 and 1tons) that they don't have in this. Nothing major but irritating like when the key is off you cant use the electric windows, no key FOB, does not have grade braking but does have OD lockout things like that.

If the cab over is getting 12 you can get that out of the 5500 so mileage may not be a big deal. The one problem with a 5500 over a 4500 is only a med. duty dealer can work on it (atleast while it is under warranty) so if you need to have it worked on it must go the med. duty dealer. That 75 miles away for me and a PITA.

mdlwn1
06-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Look at the size of the brakes on both trucks...my w4500 will carry and dump enough to kill the brakes and tires.......keep in mind the older cabovers have many different placements of the electric hoists...the newer ones will dump a lot of weight....pre 01 cabovers had the hoist too close to the back wheels