05-27-2007, 08:57 PM
This was in todays paper.

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/85024.html

paponte
05-27-2007, 09:17 PM
The customer is right... period.

1MajorTom
05-27-2007, 09:21 PM
That's very interesting. I'd say the landscaper looks stupid over this.
The customer is right. If this was me, and someone didn't get back with me to confirm that they received my message, then I would assume that they weren't coming out to do the work.

procut
05-28-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd have to say the customers right - the guy dropped the ball.

Maybe he's an LS member or one of the forum lerkers reading this now. LOL

mattfromNY
05-28-2007, 12:40 AM
What court would lean in favor of the contractor on 'word of mouth' contract?
My vote is for the customer.

topsites
05-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Doesn't matter whether the contract is written or verbal, but if the customer never said go ahead and do it, then the customer is right.

However, please note this:
I called his business at 9 the next morning, on April 24, and asked to speak to Scalia to set up a time and date that the work could be done.

Gee, what does this mean?
The customer wants it done, plain and simple.

I don't always call them back once I get the ok, I just show up and do it, really most of the time that's what I do.

But, his secretary made the mistake of talking about a call back.

This problem wouldn’t exist if there had been a simple phone call from him or his secretary telling me they’d be here the next day.

Yup, ooops.

I don't think you can blame it on the customer, if the customer was left with the impression that someone would call back and you even have a secretary to handle things, gee you take your chances if you don't. It's not quite the secretary's fault, Scalia could've said 'tell the customer we'll get to it asap' vs. 'I will call her...' Then again, maybe he never said anything, who knows?

Either way, I've had folks give me the 'yes DO it' and I get there and it's already done, tough luck in most cases, more so over a trivial amount but this here isn't about $50, it IS about almost $200 worth.

From my own experience, best I can tell you is with new customers ALWAYS drive by the customer's house the morning OF before picking up supplies, etc.

Some customers are too much in a hurry, some take a lower bidder right after yours, maybe I said something stupid, whatever, ALWAYS drive by on the way to get supplies, etc.
That usually saves me the headache, it's always worth it for bigger jobs (i.e.: over $100), more so with new customers.

Bill S
05-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Simply put, the landscaper erred in judgement. Yes, Ms Homeowner wanted to set up a time and date for the work to be completed. SHE WANTED TO SET UP A TIME AND DATE FOR THE WORK TO BE COMPLETED.

To me, this means it is still part of the negotiation stage, if the time and date doesn't work for her, she will find another contractor. Also, if she doesn't hear back, how is she to know that the landscaper is interested in completing her job?

To be a one man show and err on a call back is bad business, but your heart could go out to the guy knowing how we all get overwhelmed. When you have a secratery on staff that allows for this, it is unacceptable! It is her responsibility to make sure calls get returned. It is as simple as going through her phone log on a daily/weekly basis asking each...did you follow up with so and so...can I get them on the schedule?

And we wonder why landscapers have such a bad reputation...

Stillwater
06-05-2007, 04:09 AM
The customer is right it is these type of guys that make people not trust landscapers, I listend to a radio program a week ago I think it was called Handel on the law and they mentioned that landscapers are one of the least trusted in the trade industry.

I could see that happening to me but the guy I sent their would have called me on the 2 way and told me what was going on. I would have just called the worker to a different job and apoligize to the customer for the lack of communication on my part and to call me in the feuture if he needs me. I would have settled on great terms and I would never had sent him a bill.

Big M LawnnSnow
06-05-2007, 05:19 AM
This guy is a joke.
What equipment would he have to rent to take out 7 shrub stumps that the home owner was able to dig out herself.
If my secretary tells me I need to call the client back at a job I'm doing the next day I would call asap figuring there must be something inportant they need to know.
Also couldn't this have been avoided simply by the secretary looking at the schedule and telling the client the work would start the next day?
Maybe shes is the joke.
And this really isn't about $50 or even $200 , It's worth alot more in bad publicity.