PDA

View Full Version : lilac help

cutbetterthanyou
05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
What is one of the smalest growing lilacs i can plant is maryland? How big do they get? What methiods are used in taking can of them? Will they do alright in full sun for the first couple years then partial shade later? I have to incorparate them into a bed that is out in the middle of the yard with full sun. but this bed has a cherry tree there now and she wants a magniloa planted when i put in the lilacs and azleas . Any input is great ,thanks.

1MajorTom
05-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Lilacs thrive best in full sun and well drained soil. To get the most blossoms, prune back the deadheads each season to a set of leaves to prevent seeds forming. Fertilize in the spring, then again after flowering.
They prefer slightly acidic to alkanline soil.

cutbetterthanyou
05-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Prune in the late fall, or early spring, or ethier? Do you know of a smaller than average one? I know they prefere sun but do you think after a few years when the magnolia gets bigger and the lilics get estblished that afternoon shade will harm them or do you think they will do ok?

Kate Butler
05-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Syrings patula, 'Miss Kim' is one of the smallest forms. It will ultimately go to 12' if allowed to, but can be pruned to whatever height is desired and will still bloom.

echeandia
05-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Miss Kim are small (relatively). Use the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 pruning method.

Bill S
05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes, Miss Kim, very hardy...quite beautiful...

I believe in most cases they won't grow more than 8 feet contrary to above mentioned 12'.

MILSINC
05-28-2007, 04:00 PM
what about dwarf korean?