PDA

View Full Version : How much to Gross per crew of 2 employees 40 hours

privatelawn
05-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Im wondering about how much should you gross pretty much just mowing for 2 employees running a route per week if they each work 40 hours?

green-pa
05-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Im wondering about how much should you gross pretty much just mowing for 2 employees running a route per week if they each work 40 hours?

It depends on their tools? 21 inch mowers or 60 in z's! I'd say u should at least make a couple thou a week with them, unless u are only using small mowers and then even more depending on your input. But this is of course assuming that they are competant workers that don't stand around with their thumb up their a%%! And that your drive times aren't outrageous

mattfromNY
05-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Who cares about gross? I want to make sure I cover my costs, and then know how much I'm NETTING! Then I will know if I can keep food on the table!
Too many variables to tell you how much to make.... what are you paying the employees, what equipment are you running, how much are you paying for gas, insurance, etc... What are your costs??

privatelawn
05-27-2007, 11:13 PM
52" ztr, im sorta new to the biz and would rather have a figure if the route is tight as thats what im working on, I figure I should be able to get enough customers where they will work all day in 1 subdivision so drivetime will be minimum.

Well whats important to me is to find out what gross per employee will be enough to make a profit as a biz owner

It depends on their tools? 21 inch mowers or 60 in z's! I'd say u should at least make a couple thou a week with them, unless u are only using small mowers and then even more depending on your input. But this is of course assuming that they are competant workers that don't stand around with their thumb up their a%%! And that your drive times aren't outrageous

privatelawn
05-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Which is why im asking gross as the net I should be able to figure out and to keep it without all the variables.

Gross is what should determine if I need to raise my prices or vice versa and net is more of how I run the biz

Who cares about gross? I want to make sure I cover my costs, and then know how much I'm NETTING! Then I will know if I can keep food on the table!
Too many variables to tell you how much to make.... what are you paying the employees, what equipment are you running, how much are you paying for gas, insurance, etc... What are your costs??

privatelawn
05-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Most here say they have a minimum of like $30 or whatever per cut, I do not like using the minimum per cut way...

if I rephrase the question

2 employees should cut atleast 150 lawns per week, if I used for example the $30 per cut id gross $4500 per week for 2 employees, that would be great but I cant charge that much...

topsites
05-28-2007, 12:15 AM
I think you should be grossing at least double what you would gross by yourself, because it is hard to say what you should gross, it could be as little as $600 or as much as $4000, it really all depends on too many factors to consider.

However, it appears this could be the problem:
that would be great but I cant charge that much...

Fix that and you likely won't worry about it no more, because I sure don't.
Which is to say there are times when I'm not grossing enough, but the question of how much doesn't bother me.
And that could also be why you're asking, is because of the suspicion that you're not grossing enough...?
In my case, I either know I'm getting paid enough, or I know I'm not (or at least I suspect it).
Now whether at the end of the week I have enough, I don't care but so much so long I got paid enough for what I did.

Yes it blows to only bring in 600 a week, but it blows worse if I had to cut my price in half to get 1200 (think double labor, double parts, double maintenance, double fuel and double every other cost, vs 600 for the right wear and tear etc).

I still think the hardest part of charging the right price is keeping a straight face, such as when it involves $100 / hour.
But I've done it, and got paid, so it's not impossible, the hardest part is, well, getting over myself.
It's just that time I guess, have to raise the prices, uh-humm, yup, little here, little there, lalala

deereequipment
06-20-2007, 09:16 PM
2 employees and myself, I shoot for at least $800.00 per day, what ever we are doing.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-20-2007, 09:25 PM
... 2 employees should cut atleast 150 lawns per week, if I used for example the $30 per cut id gross $4500 per week for 2 employees, that would be great but I cant charge that much...

Working a 40 hour week ... these two (2) guys will need to mow almost 4 lawns an hour to do this (actually 3¾ lawns an hour). These have got to be postage stamp lawns, with very very little drive time.
:dizzy:

N.H.BOY
06-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Most here say they have a minimum of like $30 or whatever per cut, I do not like using the minimum per cut way...

if I rephrase the question

2 employees should cut atleast 150 lawns per week, if I used for example the $30 per cut id gross $4500 per week for 2 employees, that would be great but I cant charge that much...

COme on !!!! 150 a week 27 lawns a day mon-fri, with no rain dates and break down time?? You boys in Fla. have alot of mowing to do:dizzy:

troblandscape
06-20-2007, 09:40 PM
For Me,, My 2 Guys About 110 Lawns Mon thru Thurs. 3628.00 Per Week. The lawn truck they drive only is driven 100 miles per week so I would say that I have a pretty tight route. I would like to get that number closer to four but have wimped out the the fuel surcharge.

privatelawn
06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
lot sizes are about 6000 square feet with half of that covered by the house and driveway, the ones that have a pool in the back barely have a back yard.

the way I do it 1 guy does the z, takes 8-10 minutes, the other does edge,trim,blow and is normally done by the time the z is done. I have enough customers to spend all day in 1 subdivision, my total daily drive for 30 homes maybe about 5 miles

privatelawn
06-20-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i803255_map.gif

lifetree
06-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Who cares about gross ? I want to make sure I cover my costs, and then know how much I'm NETTING ! Then I will know if I can keep food on the table !

The gross can be a valid measure of operational performance !! so long as you have some pretty good ratios to measure the other line items by ... in other words, if you know that your salary expense is 25 % of your gross (hypothetically) then you can guage how well you're doing !!

65hoss
06-20-2007, 11:18 PM
$3000 minimum to $4500 would be a safe RANGE. Equipment and types and sizes of properties will make a difference.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-20-2007, 11:42 PM
lot sizes are about 6000 square feet with half of that covered by the house and driveway, the ones that have a pool in the back barely have a back yard.

the way I do it 1 guy does the z, takes 8-10 minutes, the other does edge,trim,blow and is normally done by the time the z is done. I have enough customers to spend all day in 1 subdivision, my total daily drive for 30 homes maybe about 5 miles

Wouldn't a WB be faster? A Z on these lots? My sister lives in a subdivision like that one pictured (I think there are a million of them down there) ... I wouldn't use anything bigger then a 36" on her lawn.

privatelawn
06-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I have a 52" z, have never used a walk behind other then a 22", it takes me 8-10 minutes on the z, i guess even if the walk behinds were a bit faster id rather be sitting especially doing 30-40 lawns per day

Wouldn't a WB be faster? A Z on these lots? My sister lives in a subdivision like that one pictured (I think there are a million of them down there) ... I wouldn't use anything bigger then a 36" on her lawn.

Bigray
06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Im wondering about how much should you gross pretty much just mowing for 2 employees running a route per week if they each work 40

my estimate would be like 2 guys @ 80.oo x 30 x 4 weeks = 9600.oo , i am using 30 as actual work x taking 10 hours off for driving and other misc.

and i am no where near that # myself, but something to shoot for.