PDA

View Full Version : Colored lenses.

Lite4
05-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Hey guys, do any of you use any of the colored lenses. I heard that a blue lense will bring out greens in plant material more vividly. I use spread and frosted lenses now, but have never tried color. What effects can an amber, green or red lense be used specifically for.

NightScenes
05-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I use blue lenses to remove the yellow from the light. I also have had occasion to use a mercury vapor lens as well. You know what that does. I don't use the other colored lenses because I don't want peoples homes to look like an amusement park. Maybe a soft yellow sometime as an accent on a back wall with vines would be ok. I can't think of anytime where someone would want to use a red or green filter.

anyway, that's my thoughts.

Eden Lights
05-29-2007, 12:27 AM
Prismatic, Frosted, Hex lenses on every job. If I was inclined to throw some color in the outdoors, I would stick to dichroic lenses only because of the true color quality and less loss of lumen outputm

NightScenes
05-29-2007, 08:17 AM
I do use a lot of spread and frosted lenses as well.

Pro-Scapes
05-29-2007, 09:30 AM
spreads and frosted as needed... hex louvers any place glare my be an issue from passer by such as uplighting trees near a walkway or porch.

Dichronic blues to simulate moonlight or use of 4700 kelvin bulbs. Had a client request red and gree alternate uplights for christmas. looked a bit cheesy to me but they loved it and we will reinstall them again dec 1.

Same client requested orange for holloween... couldnt get the light output right for pumkin orange. Wish they made a blacklight MR16 bulb that would be cool for holloween.

Lite4
05-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't figuire the other colors were going to be used that often other than for holidays. I will try some to the soft blue lenses on some plant material next time though.

Mike M
05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Lots of green on palms and some pines down here. Looks awesome at the resorts.

Mike