PDA

View Full Version : Anyone notice?

Victor
05-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey guys. I've noticed on more than one occasion, that when a bed-edger was used to edge mulch beds on a lawn this time of year (or later into the Summer), a strip of burnt grass appears right between where the wheels of the bed-edger rolled. This burnt strip always follows the exact contour of the bed and usually is about a foot away from the edge of the bed. Obviously, whatever the problem is with the grass that I've been seeing, the bed-edger is causing it.

After a careful examination of my friend's bed-edger, I noticed that the exhaust on those machines points down at the grass. Am I correct in thinking that it's the heat from that exhaust blowing down onto the grass as the machine slowly rolls by, that cooks the grass (leaving what looks like a burnt strip of grass)?

The friend who owns the edger I looked at told me today that he's noticed that his edger leaves that same, burnt strip whenever he edges beds with it. Until I mentioned my exhaust theory, he thought his edger had a fuel leak, or something. After I showed him how the exhaust on machines like his pointed down at the turf, he agreed that I might be onto something with my theory. What do you guys think? I can't be the only one who's noticed this phenomenon.

Rax
05-28-2007, 12:40 AM
It's possible. The heat produced can do some damage.
My fire ring definitely f'ed up some circles in my grass.

indyturf
05-28-2007, 01:06 AM
I would say your right! I know some Lawnboy mowers had the exhaust under the deck and if you stayed in one spot it would burn the grass!

teeca
05-28-2007, 01:10 AM
you can get a deflector that bolt's to the muffler, cost about $3. i see more browning of the grass around the edge due to the edger cutting into the root zone of the grass. jmo

Victor
05-28-2007, 01:16 AM
you can get a deflector that bolt's to the muffler, cost about $3. i see more browning of the grass around the edge due to the edger cutting into the root zone of the grass. jmo

I don't do edging, so I've got not control over this issue. The funny thing about what I'm seeing Teeca, is the fact that the grass up against the edge that's been cut stays green. The burnt strip of grass doesn't start until you get at least 8 inches, or so from the edge that was cut in.

Jerry Andersen
05-28-2007, 01:40 AM
Vic paint it back to green LOL

Jerry Andersen
05-28-2007, 01:46 AM
buy the way after talking tonight about ponds i was on here checking some out. i'm really thinking about starting 1. what is the deal with that filter you have.

bntt68
05-28-2007, 09:06 AM
It is very very possible it is the edger. I know a certain brand of commercial ztr that had this problem, they since modified it too. A deflector is your best bet. I would get a thin piece of metal or aluminum. Good Luck Vic

Victor
05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
It is very very possible it is the edger. I know a certain brand of commercial ztr that had this problem, they since modified it too. A deflector is your best bet. I would get a thin piece of metal or aluminum. Good Luck Vic

Hi Bntt68. I don't do bed-edging, so I don't own a bed-edger. This isn't damage I've caused. All of these occurrences have been where someone else has been hired to edge beds on my fertilizer customer's property. It's always been a situation where I've either shown up to do an application and found the burnt strip of grass right next to where it's obvious a bed was recently edged, or I've seen someone in the process of edging a bed. In this last example, if I come back to the property in about a week, I'll find a burnt strip of grass around the edge of the bed pretty much every time.

DUSTYCEDAR
05-28-2007, 12:16 PM
it is the heat off the muffler i had a chipper that blew the hot exhaust at at the ground and if it was parked on the lawn it would burn a big old spot same thing with the bucket truck so i changed the way it would point problem solved

Victor
05-28-2007, 04:13 PM
As always guys, thanks for the input and help. That's good info to have. :)