PDA

View Full Version : Already two months into the season..

mrusk
05-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I can not belive it is already Memorial Day. The last two months have been a complete blurr and it looks like the next 3 months will be even busier.

Hows everyone else doing? Is the spring rush still going or has it slowed down?

Matt

cedarcroft
05-28-2007, 03:50 PM
we have 35 projects in various phases from almost done to just getting started. on top of that I am working nights and weekends doing my own projects on the side. I think the spring rush is gonna last until January. I should be 150 lbs.

Mike33
05-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Looks like another good year we are behind and still have 4 new yards to install. I know its getting a little late for seeding but they still want it done. Hopefully around second week of june we will be getting in to the walls i have contracts for lasting most of summer. I have quite a few small and some larger ones as well. Im bidding one now i know ill get the only trouble it is for my best friend. He has no choice but a wall, and can afford it. I just hate to price it to him 150' x 5'.
Mike

richallseasons
05-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I am so behind from being busy that I am working 7 days a week and I haven't even got the winter equipment put away yet, its a little embarrassing but I still have one truck with a plow and spreader on it....

DVS Hardscaper
05-30-2007, 07:15 PM
changed marketing tactics and it's payin off.

we're swamped.

I been pulling 14-16 hr days.

PatriotLandscape
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
We are swamped with not enough employees to get it done!! not a bad situation but it is quite a balancing act not getting people angry.

McKeeLand
05-30-2007, 08:24 PM
The season is just stating to wind up for me. We just signed a 3000 sf paver job that we thought we had lost and booked 4 jobs in front of it. now we are swamped in a matter of one day. hopefully i can find some good help quick, yeah righ!

bigviclbi
05-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I'd love a nice 3000 sq footer where I could actually stay at one place for a week. I've been working 12-14 hours a day for the past month and probably will till july 4th.

MRBsx2
05-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Its the same way for me here. all kinds of work and not enough good help to get the work done...hopefully it will stay this way for the rest of the year...plenty of good jobs!

mrusk
05-30-2007, 10:55 PM
You guys work 14 hour days in the feild??? You start working at 6am and finish at 8pm? Or is that with paper work/estimates?

We have been working 50 hour week in the feild and proably will for the rest of the year.

Luckily, i really do not do small jobs, so i do not go on 50 estimates a week. Normally only 1 or 2 and thats how i like it.

I am busy, but i am bumping up the advertising. When you are busy is the time to advertise.

DVS Hardscaper
05-30-2007, 11:02 PM
Not necessarily true. Busy or not busy - you should always advertise prior to AND during known slow periods. See, I know things slow at the end of July and beginning of August - So in anticipation for the slow period - I know we need to market market market!

When you are busy is the time to advertise.

bustin88
06-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I mow a few lawns on Quarterhorse in Sparta, I was just curious to know what kind of job you are working on over there?

Thanks,

Justin

mrusk
06-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I mow a few lawns on Quarterhorse in Sparta, I was just curious to know what kind of job you are working on over there?

Thanks,

Justin

Saw my sign up there eh? Stop by next time your up there and see my truck. I personally drive a silver dodge ram so if you see that truck there you know i am there.

Matt

forestfireguy
06-22-2007, 05:03 PM
:drinkup: That the truck I threw a bag of doggie "treats" on the other day....

D Felix
06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
Everybody still busy??

We are backed up into August at this point. In the middle of a 60k+ install right now, plus all the landscape maintenance accounts we have and the smaller install jobs going too. It's been a b*tch the last couple of weeks figuring out where to send what truck and which piece of equipment.

I really need a good foreman-in-training under me right now- I haven't been able to keep up on the paperwork as well as I need to to keep the bosses happy!

We haven't had a full rain-day in over 2 months now, and have only lost a couple partial days to rain in that time. Our a$$es are dragging with no end in sight.... We *really* need some rain!!

mrusk
06-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Everybody still busy??

We are backed up into August at this point. In the middle of a 60k+ install right now, plus all the landscape maintenance accounts we have and the smaller install jobs going too. It's been a b*tch the last couple of weeks figuring out where to send what truck and which piece of equipment.

I really need a good foreman-in-training under me right now- I haven't been able to keep up on the paperwork as well as I need to to keep the bosses happy!

We haven't had a full rain-day in over 2 months now, and have only lost a couple partial days to rain in that time. Our a$$es are dragging with no end in sight.... We *really* need some rain!!

I am so swamped i do not know what to do. I am havn't a trouble finding time to do estimates and designs.

Matt

Captains Landscape
06-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Swamped here in MA, I as well changed sales tactics and advertising. The official work day is 6 am - 8 pm, no joke. I haven't seen quickbooks for a month now:hammerhead: not looking forward to that catchup

McKeeLand
06-22-2007, 11:14 PM
We are looking at september before we can see some light at the end of the tunnel. i have had three estimates on my desk that i cant even get to and probably won't. so much for starting out as a slow season!

GreenMonster
06-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Glad to hear everyone is busy.

We're crazy too. We're still doing jobs we booked over threw winter. Just when it seems like we may be catching up just a little, the phone starts going crazy. I have 8 jobs to look at tomorrow.

Add ons to jobs are killing us schedule wise as well. Every job this year has grown and grown and grown. We had a 3 day patio redo that ended up being 3 weeks. I'm telling people now we're 8 weeks out, and that's aggresive I think. Quite honestly, I don't even know anymore until I sit down again and cipher it all out.

The one thing I can't figure out .... these guys running around saying things are slow:confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :hammerhead:

mrusk
06-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Glad to hear everyone is busy.

We're crazy too. We're still doing jobs we booked over threw winter. Just when it seems like we may be catching up just a little, the phone starts going crazy. I have 8 jobs to look at tomorrow.

Add ons to jobs are killing us schedule wise as well. Every job this year has grown and grown and grown. We had a 3 day patio redo that ended up being 3 weeks. I'm telling people now we're 8 weeks out, and that's aggresive I think. Quite honestly, I don't even know anymore until I sit down again and cipher it all out.

The one thing I can't figure out .... these guys running around saying things are slow:confused: :hammerhead: :confused: :hammerhead:

The guys that are slow do not put enough effort into their business. The reason why i am busy is because i worked my butt off advertising. If i just sat around waiting for my phone to right i'd be slow.

D Felix
06-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure who around us is slow (unless it's the guys who just mow- we finally got some rain this week), but between the state association board and suppliers we are hearing everyone has been busting azz since sometime in March and are running ragged right now.