PDA

View Full Version : Kubota ZG20 20hp Kohler Command won't start.

Duncan90si
05-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I turn the key and nothing happens at all. Seems to be an electrical problem. I jumped power directly to the starter with the key in the on position, and it cranked over but wouldn't start. It seems to be a bad safety switch or relay or something along those lines. I checked for loose, dirty or disconnected plugs or blown fuses and came up empty. This thing is really irritating me beyond belief. :angry: Any suggestions or advice. I'll be calling the service department first thing in the morning.

EMTDUCK1984
05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
check the fuses before anything

Duncan90si
05-28-2007, 06:43 PM
There is one fuse that I see, and its good. I think its either the parking brake switch or one of the lever switches.

Restrorob
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Unplug each switch and use a multimeter to test, Or install a short jumper wire on each switch connector and see if it starts.

Duncan90si
05-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Unplug each switch and use a multimeter to test, Or install a short jumper wire on each switch connector and see if it starts.

This thing has me puzzled. I always work on my own equipment but I think I might have to break down and take it to the dealer and let them piss with it.
I don't have a multimeter at my house unfortunately. The lever switches and the parking brake switch all have 4 wires going to them. They aren't just a simple 2 wire sensor. I have tested both lever switches and the parking brake switch along with the seat switch with a test light and none of them are getting power. So I can't jump them if I'm not getting any power. There is no "main fuse" coming off of the battery and the battery has a charge. I tried a different ignition switch and no luck there. If you have the parking brake on and you fold the levers inward, after 3 seconds, it has a stupid safety device that kills the motor. It could be something with that also. After I do have this figured out, every single safety switch will be getting bypassed. I just can't get any power to them now to be able to know how to bypass them all. I absolutely hate this kind of stuff. Especially, when I need to be using it tomorrow. I'm going to keep scratching my head and hope that one of you guys or the dealer knows something I don't. Thanks for the help so far guys, I appreciate it.

Restrorob
05-28-2007, 10:32 PM
I was going to suggest something but best take it in.

EMTDUCK1984
05-28-2007, 11:28 PM
try taking the kill wire off at the engine and then jump the solenoid if it starts then you have safety issues

Jason Pallas
05-29-2007, 12:14 AM
hey guys doesn't this also have a float/fuel flow solenoid? Shouldn't he check to see it he has power to this? just my 2 cents / trying to help.

EMTDUCK1984
05-29-2007, 12:16 AM
some models do and some dont just depends on how the mower manufacture wanted it

Duncan90si
05-29-2007, 02:08 AM
I'll check those things first thing in the morning. I just hate to take it to the dealer and pay their outrageous labor rates, especially if it takes the mechanic a few too many hours to diagnose the problem. (the local dealer here is notorious for being slow as he!! and as a result high repair bills) I know that if I take it to the dealer it will be there 1-2 weeks minimum. I might be better off to buy one of every switch and just change them one by one till the darn thing starts. Or I might take it to the Kubota dealer thats about an hour away. I'll sleep on it and see what I can do in the morning.