PDA

View Full Version : 13 HP Kohler dying when engaging blades

reconthree
05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Any help,

I used my Metro 36" with 13 hp kohler 3 times today. On the 3rd yard it just died halfway trough the yard. The engine runs but when I engage the blades it dies. Any help.

khouse
05-28-2007, 07:11 PM
You probably have trash in the main jet. Just like maybe 80% of troubles (not scientific results) is dirty fuel of fuel related problems with performance. Perform the usual - clean fuel cells, change fuel filter, clean and blow out carb.

Restrorob
05-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds like a bad safety switch, Handlebar, Trans. or PTO switch if it has the safety built in. Test the switches with a multimeter or un-plug and use a jumper wire to find the bad one.

reconthree
05-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Sounds like a bad safety switch, Handlebar, Trans. or PTO switch if it has the safety built in. Test the switches with a multimeter or un-plug and use a jumper wire to find the bad one.

the trans works fine. I can drive the mower around. As far as I can see there is not a safety switch on the engaging lever.

reconthree
05-28-2007, 07:39 PM
the trans works fine. I can drive the mower around. As far as I can see there is not a safety switch on the engaging lever.

I recant the message above. There is a safety switch located at the engage lever. I started the mower and engaged the blades but I used my thumb to hold down the safety switch and it ran fine.

Does anyone know how much this switch costs.

Restrorob
05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Don't be so quick to change this engagement switch.

If you have a safety switch on each handle bar grip (un-familiar with this unit) and you engage the blades with your right hand all the time change hands and engage with your left and see what happens. Could be the left switch is bad.

topsites
05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I have an override switch on my Toro, it's a kinda square grey plunger thing that has to be depressed for it to be functional. When this switch goes bad, a temporary fix is to unhook either of the wires and just let it dangle.
You can get one at Napa, they're about 11 dollars LOL
12-13 at the dealers...

I forget the part number, sorry, but bring your old one in and they should be able to look it up.
Again it's called a Plunger switch, and yours will be 'normally closed' and it should be grey.
If it's black it is probably the 'normally open' one (but that's for a Scag, so I think yours is the grey one).