PDA

View Full Version : How do they wear shorts?

Diversified Maintenance
05-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Just a quick question in relation to wearing shorts? I always wear a uniform shirt and jeans but I see these guys out cutting lawns in shorts. Last time I cut in shorts I could never do a quality trimming job because it would sting your legs. So if your wearing shorts...do you have legs of leather or scimming on the trimming??

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I often wear shorts once it gets really hot. We allow everyone to wear shorts if they like as long as they are khaki.

Now here is the thing. I realize that while trimming my legs are going to get beat up. I weigh out the pros and the cons. If I wear shorts to help keep cool, my legs will get cut up, bloody, bruised, and anything els that you can imagine. Is it worth it? Probably not. Is worth it to me? Yep, sometimes. Will I allow it to have an impact on the quality of work? Absolutely not. As long as the quality is there I will continue to allow them to wear shorts.

lawnman_scott
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I couldnt immagine wearing pants in summer. Just too damn hot here for that. Just deal with things hitting your legs, there are worse things.

packer101
05-28-2007, 09:37 PM
i wear shorts when im trimming, comes out great and legs are fine. Once i get going i tend to be able to keep it from really getting my legs.

thesargent
05-28-2007, 09:41 PM
yeah, you learn how to keep stuff from hitting you most of the time, but one in a while, man it hurts. i would much rather wear shorts in the summer and suffer the occasional rock than be blazin hot.

SSS 18734
05-28-2007, 09:42 PM
I don't know how they do it either. Every once in a while I will wear shorts if I only have a few jobs, but I dread the trimming.

I just wear those black Adidas athletic pants with the white lines down the sides. Those stay just as cool as shorts, but I don't really feel the heat in my legs anyway.

Roger
05-28-2007, 10:42 PM
I wear work shorts as soon as possible in the Spring, and as late as possible in the Fall. And, I do all the trimming with a string trimmer. Oh yes, my legs get pretty well beat up -- red pock marks, red marks from strange vegetation, etc. It is not unusual to draw blood. But, wearing long pants is just too hot for me. The trade-off is a no-brainer decision for me.

Mark13
05-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Would wearing some sort of shin guards from like soccer help when trimming? They only take a few seconds to put on and they should keep most of the stuff from leaving marks when it hits you.

Turf Terror
05-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Stay real cool, like this guy...

Man Charged With Nude Gardening

A man has gone on trial accused of gardening in the nude.

30-year-old Yan Price appeared in York Crown Court on Tuesday, where the court heard claims that his neighbours were shocked to see him mowing the lawn entirely naked.

One neighbour, a young mother, said: 'I felt intimidated. You could see everything.'

'She could see the defendant out in the garden and he wasn't wearing a stitch of clothing. He was completely naked using the lawnmower,' said Howard Shaw, prosecuting.

Price's neighbours have complained about him sunbathing in the nude before, during an alleged two-year feud which saw Price given an Asbo preventing him from speaking to his neighbours.

He is also charged with breaching that Asbo.

Price denied the charges of indecent exposure, claiming that he had merely been mowing the lawn wearing a towel when, as he tried to fix a fault with the machine, his towel slipped off.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?in_article_id=35651&in_page_id=2

dKoester
05-28-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't wear shorts when i'm working. Yellow Jackets.

thesargent
05-29-2007, 12:59 AM
if im going to weed eat a hill or other large area i put on a pair of chainsaw chaps, other than that, bare legs all the way. a few nicks and dings never hurt anyone.

rodfather
05-29-2007, 05:29 AM
The occasional sting from a stone thrown up from a trimmer is what you expect wearing shorts.

txgrassguy
05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
I wear shorts all year long here in Texas.
As of right now we are nudging 90*F with humidity in the mid 90% range.
It gets hot enough here with out steaming my "clams" any more than they are already:rolleyes:

meathead1134
05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
I wear shorts all of the time, the legs that aren't the problem its my dam socks now are all stained green from trimmimg.

02DURAMAX
05-29-2007, 12:31 PM
No i don't i hate things hitting my legs!

J&R Landscaping
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
When I'm out working, I either wear Carhart Canvas work pants or khaki shorts. I like the long pants because then your not all beaten up (and I dont have to worry as much about poison Ivy)! Though, when it gets really hot I will wear shorts just because I cant stand long pants.

tat900
05-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Man down here in the south you take the pain after few seasons you just get used to it . Now every once in a while you will catch a rock jsut right and when you dont run guards you deal wit it

KTO Enterprises
05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't wear shorts when i'm working. Yellow Jackets.

I hate yellow jackets. I always seem to find them when Im on the big tractor. I wear pants all year long.

fiveoboy01
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
I've accepted that my legs are going to get bloodied and battered if wearing shorts while trimming. I just deal with it.

If I'm cutting a large area with my brushcutter, I'll usually put pants on.

lawnspecialties
05-29-2007, 09:21 PM
The occasional sting from a stone thrown up from a trimmer is what you expect wearing shorts.

I wear shorts year-round. 20 degrees to 100 degrees. When I take off my shoes and socks, it looks like I still have socks on.:laugh:

Have you ever noticed though how the smallest object (stone, mulch, stick, etc.) feels like a brick hitting you in the leg when launched from trimmer string?:dizzy:

lifetree
05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I often wear shorts once it gets really hot. We allow everyone to wear shorts if they like as long as they are khaki.

Now here is the thing. I realize that while trimming my legs are going to get beat up. I weigh out the pros and the cons. If I wear shorts to help keep cool, my legs will get cut up, bloody, bruised, and anything els that you can imagine. Is it worth it? Probably not. Is worth it to me? Yep, sometimes. Will I allow it to have an impact on the quality of work? Absolutely not. As long as the quality is there I will continue to allow them to wear shorts.

You may want to reconsider this policy ... it could result in some health insurance claims or work comp claims !!

BUCKEYE MOWING
05-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Shorts in hot weather are a must. The bumps, bruises and dings are all part of the job . The quality of your work cannot suffer due to your choice of attire. We wear carrhart khakis and deal with the dings daily .

dKoester
05-29-2007, 10:59 PM
:laugh: Yeah you deal with the dings but I'm gonna laugh when you get the stings.

HOOLIE
05-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Shorts always unless it's less than 60 outside. I'm smarter than the yellowjackets so stings are not an issue :dancing:

txgrassguy
05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Have you ever noticed though how the smallest object (stone, mulch, stick, etc.) feels like a brick hitting you in the leg when launched from trimmer string?:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

No - I haven't.
It must be because I have no feeling left in my legs:laugh:

Big M LawnnSnow
05-30-2007, 04:45 AM
I always wear shorts in the summer.
After a while you get used to the little bings and bangs to the shins from the weedeater. It's alot cooler.

jt5019
05-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I never wear shorts no matter how hot it gets. Just wear a light pair of pants like dickies and its fine. I cant stand getting my socks all green and my legs covered in crap

thesargent
05-30-2007, 12:58 PM
yeah the ONLY downside is the massive amount of grass clippings in my boots, but on the other hand thats also kinda funny. i dont mind green socks. maybe when i buy new socks ill just get green. :laugh:

WJW Lawn
05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Yea my legs look like crap!! And my socks get all dirty--the wife hates that! BUT...Im staying cool...cause I cant imagine wearing long pants in the Summer with all this humidity...uggh!

Wild Bill
05-30-2007, 04:31 PM
I agree shorts are the way to go here in Florida.. Summers are just to hot otherwise.

FearThisDeere
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I wear shorts a lot. It stings for the first few minutes while trimming, but then you legs gets used to it. I have millions of red bumps all over my legs. I'd rather have those than be really hot.

Roger
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
For those with green socks, ... I wear white socks, and they get full of grass from the trimmer. I keep a laundry bucket in the tub, partially filled with water and borax. When the socks come off, they go into the bucket until laundry time. When my wife washes them, she does not do anything unusual -- they are washed with all other "white" laundry. The socks come out from the laundry white! Apparently, keeping them soaking in the water, with borax, helps release the green stains.

Maybe there are other ways, but this seems to work for us.

T. Wheeler
05-30-2007, 10:25 PM
SafeLegs do wonders just pop em on when you trim

Greybeard
05-31-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm not super-sensitive to poison ivy, but I trimmed under a hedge a couple of years ago, and got a serious case on my legs. A couple of weeks of agony - and wearing long pants in really hot weather. Nothing like that nylon string to launch all that oil, and on a sweaty day when your legs are getting peppered with bits and pieces of sticks and pebbles, the poison really gets a good boost. I watch a little closer now, and I'd recommend carrying some pull-on nylon windbreaker pants or cheap sweats for working in brushy areas.

LawnBrother
05-31-2007, 07:59 AM
I don't know how these guys wear jeans when it's 90+
I must wear shorts, it's worth the pain to keep cool.

Runner
05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I wear chaps and have done so for years. They are well worth it. I wear shots alot when just doing mowing, so I carry the chaps on the trailer all the time. It takes about 5 seconds to put each one on, and less to take them off. The beauty of it is the cover down to the shoe (boot) and keep all that grass from going in. My legs and socks stay clean. They have the pads inside of them which keep rocks and stuff from hitting the legs. I have the deluxe leg chaps model, and these things last forever. www.wechapps.com

RYNOss
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I haven't worn long pants since the first time I got into a mound of fire ants that had just been run over by the mower. I was down to my underpants in a matter of seconds. I hate those sob's. I usually buy khaki shorts that have the pant legs zip off. If I know it's going to really bad at a property I'll just zip on my legs.

KTO Enterprises
05-31-2007, 04:31 PM
Ill tell you how they wear shorts! Same way they wear pants. One leg in at a time and over their a$$!

MOWALLTHETIME
05-31-2007, 04:41 PM
I usually break down around July and start wearing shorts I hate to wear them but here in Memphis it is so hot I can stand the grass and the bruises better than I can the hot. I used to never wear shorts when I first started and I had to do all of the work ie trimming and blowing, but now I have a crew and all I normally do is run the mowers and drive if at all possible. I cannot stand grass getting in my boots more than the bruises and grass getting on my legs and socks.

MOWEMJEFF
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
If it's hot it's hot, shorts or pants your gonna have swamp a$$. That's why mowing days I go with the pants and mulching/gardening/misc hardscaping wear shorts. Last year a kid with shorts had a tick on his sack, no joke, so I'll sweat to death before I deal with a tick in a place the sun don't shine.

Turf Terror
06-05-2007, 06:56 PM
If it's hot it's hot, shorts or pants your gonna have swamp a$$. That's why mowing days I go with the pants and mulching/gardening/misc hardscaping wear shorts. Last year a kid with shorts had a tick on his sack, no joke, so I'll sweat to death before I deal with a tick in a place the sun don't shine.

*Turf Terror shifts nervously in his chair...and crosses his legs*

razor1
06-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe his girlfriend needs to check him for ticks more often. :laugh:

"cause id like to see you out in the moonlight
id like to kiss you way back in the sticks
id like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
and id like to check you for ticks" brad paisley

Midwest Lawn Services
06-05-2007, 09:02 PM
We always wear jeans and a polo shirt...appearances are everything around here with the Mayo Clinic and all. Doctors expect you to look your best all the time, even if it just consists of managing thier turf!:dizzy: Its silly, but...
As far as the shorts go...NEVER! Must have jeans. I have heard of guys getting large chuncks of skin taken out of their legs because they had no protection on their legs. I don't know about you guys, but around here insurance is a large part of our budget. I couldn't imagine what my agent would say if something as careless as what we have been talking about happened.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-06-2007, 08:26 PM
I went to Academy and bought "snake leggings." I believe they were about $17, but they are made of plastic, and they simply wrap around the shape of your leg, no straps, etc. There is a (I don't know how to explain this) part of this "legging" that fits your knee, i.e. when you bend down on one knee it is not uncomfortable. Also, I cut out from the knee down on an old pair of jeans, and glued them on the inside of the legging, so it's not uncomfortable on your leg. Now I can mow in my shorts and wrap the leggings on when I weed-eat. Well-worth the $17.

KTO Enterprises
06-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe his girlfriend needs to check him for ticks more often. :laugh:

"cause id like to see you out in the moonlight
id like to kiss you way back in the sticks
id like to walk you through a field of wildflowers
and id like to check you for ticks" brad paisley

No lie, when that song first same out i thought he was saying "id like to check you for TItS"

goodgreen
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I wear cargo's a lot and mostly my legs just get filthy dirty from trimming.

flathead
06-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but when it is 95 degrees + from May until the middle of October, you get used to it. Sand, small rocks, and fire ants are only a few of the things i don't feel anymore. And yes, my legs are pretty much a series of overlapping scars.
The last time something made me wince was a piece of gravel that i had to pick out from under my skin where it was lodged. My pocket knife did a great job of removing it after i finished trimming.