PDA

View Full Version : operation of wb's?

BotetourtBoy3
05-28-2007, 11:16 PM
how do you turn walk-behinds? does the machine do it totally or do you have to mucsule it to turn it?

BUCKEYE MOWING
05-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Slow down and turn it with the hydro assisting....You use your arms to start the turn and the machine completes it..hope i explained that right....

MOWEMJEFF
05-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Mines easier then turning around a push mower....it's almost like your holding it back instead of pushing it forward.

SSS 18734
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Hydro's do most of it for you. Belt drives make you use your back :weightlifter:. Unless you have plenty of room to turn around, that is.

BotetourtBoy3
05-29-2007, 12:35 AM
What about hills, which operate best on hills?

SSS 18734
05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
What about hills, which operate best on hills?

Hydro's do. By far. Belt drives are a pain on hills.

I can't think of any disadvantages of hydros except cost.

BotetourtBoy3
05-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Hydro's do. By far. Belt drives are a pain on hills.

I can't think of any disadvantages of hydros except cost.
what so bad about belt on hills do they slip?

SSS 18734
05-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Its not that they slip, its that you constantly have to apply brake pressure to the side that is higher up, or if you are going down a hill, you have to apply the brakes or the mower will go out of control. Lots of times the wheels will also lock up on slopes and tear up the turf. Basically, it involves slowing way down if you want to get any semblance of a straight line if its anything more than just a slight slope. Hydros eliminate all of these problems and are easier to turn around and maneuver in tight spaces.

This is from my experience with pistol grips. It might be easier with toro's T-system or Gravely's Pro-Steer system. But I haven't used either, so I don't know. I've been using my belt drive gravely for over a year now and don't get me wrong - its not awful, just inconvenient and more tiring than a hydro would be.

BotetourtBoy3
05-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Its not that they slip, its that you constantly have to apply brake pressure to the side that is higher up, or if you are going down a hill, you have to apply the brakes or the mower will go out of control. Lots of times the wheels will also lock up on slopes and tear up the turf. Basically, it involves slowing way down if you want to get any semblance of a straight line if its anything more than just a slight slope. Hydros eliminate all of these problems and are easier to turn around and maneuver in tight spaces.

This is from my experience with pistol grips. It might be easier with toro's T-system or Gravely's Pro-Steer system. But I haven't used either, so I don't know. I've been using my belt drive gravely for over a year now and don't get me wrong - its not awful, just inconvenient and more tiring than a hydro would be.
im sry im new to this whole wb idea of operation. I am not even sure how to turn a wb. like what are those levels like on a exmark what does the left and right one do? to go forward do you press both and to turn release one to turn the direction of the released one? plz explain thanks

SSS 18734
05-29-2007, 01:12 AM
You'll see a lot of pistol grip walkbehinds - basically two handles with levers underneath them. Squeezing the levers engages the brakes. You release the levers to engage the belts and propel the mower forwards. So when you squeeze the trigger on the right, the mower turns right, and when you squeeze the trigger on the left, it turns left. If you squeeze them both, it stops.

I'd highly recommend you go to a local dealer and ask if they have any demo units available. I'm sure they'd be happy to show you the features and let you have a test run after they explain the controls.

thesargent
05-29-2007, 02:04 AM
and on a hydro powered mower you squeeze them all the way back to go in reverse. make any sense? i had know idea either until i saw one in peson and tried it out, so dont feel bad, go to a dealer and see if you can check one out.

fiveoboy01
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
One thing worth mentioning is that there are also single and dual hydro walk behinds.

A single hydro uses a pump and a single motor to turn both drive wheels. You still have to use your muscle to turn the mower.

A dual hydro uses one pump and one motor for each drive wheel. You have control of each drive wheel independently with each hand, so no arm or back work is needed to turn the mower, and on sidehills you can adjust for the mower wanting to turn downhill.

echeandia
05-29-2007, 06:37 PM
ike what are those levels like on a exmark what does the left and right one do? to go forward do you press both and to turn release one to turn the direction of the released one?

I run an Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP. On each hand grip there is a pull lever, much like a gas pump, that you squeeze to slow down the wheel. So, if you squeeze the one on the right the mower will turn right; squeeze the one on the left and the mower turns left. If you squeeze both the mower will slow down. Now you only need to squeeze it part way to perform these actions. If you squeeze past the point were the wheels stops turning it will start going in reverse. You only need to squeeze to turn, slow down, or move in reverse. There is no need to push or pull on the machine to assist with the turns. The hydros take care of it for you.

Regarding mowing across a hill, the mower will tend to turn downhill. In this situation you would squeeze on the uphill lever to keep the mower going straight. I never used anything other than a push mower until this year and quickly became comfortable with the machine.