PDA

View Full Version : Which is best for my sloped yard, WB, riding or ZTR

OZZIE3155
05-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello, I recently moved into my new house and now it's time to cut some grass. I've got a total of 1.07ac of lawn that's sloped, hilly and probably 15 poplar trees to get around. I'm curious if a Zero turn or riding mower would be recommended for this type of lawn, or should I just buy a regular walk behind for safety reasons??? I did borrow my friends Cub Cadet 50" zero turn mower and it was fun to drive but kinda scary a few times with the grass being cut for the first time and really wet from the fresh grass. And help would be greatly appreciated.

Ozzie

LarryF
05-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Hello, I recently moved into my new house and now it's time to cut some grass. I've got a total of 1.07ac of lawn that's sloped, hilly and probably 15 poplar trees to get around. I'm curious if a Zero turn or riding mower would be recommended for this type of lawn, or should I just buy a regular walk behind for safety reasons??? I did borrow my friends Cub Cadet 50" zero turn mower and it was fun to drive but kinda scary a few times with the grass being cut for the first time and really wet from the fresh grass. And help would be greatly appreciated.

Ozzie

You didn't describe how steep the hills are, but since you were able as a novice to mow the property with a ZTR, that's the way to go, but with the caveat that you not use it when the grass is wet. I'd get a commercial one though. Stay away from what is sold at Lowes and Home Depot.

steve45
05-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Agreed, avoid cutting when the grass is wet. Look for a mower that has a low center of gravity. Wider is better, too.

NEVER mow uphill with a ZTR, it can flip over on you. You can mow across, or down, if conditions allow it. Don't go down if there is anything hazardous at the bottom, just in case you can't stop. If you do mow downward, back up the hill to get to the top.

OZZIE3155
05-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for the replies back Larry and Steve. Well I'm not sure what the degree of front yard slope I have but I would say in a distance of 150 foot its probably a 20-25 foot drop, if that helps. So Steve what's the difference between lets say a John Deere mower at Lowes and one at a John Deere retailer store? Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

LarryF
05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the replies back Larry and Steve. Well I'm not sure what the degree of front yard slope I have but I would say in a distance of 150 foot its probably a 20-25 foot drop, if that helps. So Steve what's the difference between lets say a John Deere mower at Lowes and one at a John Deere retailer store? Thanks ahead of time for all the help.

That would be less than 10 degrees if it's a pretty much constant slope. I doubt if you'll find anyone who will say that's too steep for using a ZTR, so I think you would be safe with that choice. Mine is an Exmark and the manufacturer says it's ok to use on a 15 degree slope. I'm just a homeowner like you, and I adhere to the Exmark recommendation. I suspect most who mow for a living would have no reservations up to 20 degrees, and if you search this forum, you'll see that some have claimed mowing much steeper grades with a ZTR. But I think doing that is foolish. Too dangerous.

You should also search this forum for an answer to your question about the John Deere ZTR. You'll find plenty of opinions. If I were in your shoes, I'd also consider Exmark, Toro, Hustler, Lesco and the other commercial mowers that have been discussed at length in this forum. Many, perhaps most homeowners are not aware of Lesco, because that company targets the commercial lawn-mowing guys. But they will also sell to homeowners, and their stores are just about everywhere. Try to find one near you using the web or your local yellow pages. It's a good (as good as you'll find, I think) source for seed and fertilizer too, which I'm sure you will be using in quantity with a lot the size of yours.

OZZIE3155
04-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey Larry or Steve, would I have any problems with a hydrostatic on this slope? I've heard that hills or slopes aren't good for the transmission, any truth to this?

LarryF
04-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Hey Larry or Steve, would I have any problems with a hydrostatic on this slope? I've heard that hills or slopes aren't good for the transmission, any truth to this?
It would be easier to answer if you were more specific about what you mean by "hydrostatic". Many of the big-box-store riding lawn tractors, which I would stay away from, have hydrostatic drives. On the other hand, the Quick products (BOP) also use them for their walk-behind mowers and I mow my hills with one of them because some are too steep for my ZTR. I don't believe using mine on a slope will have any negative impact on the hydrostatic drive, and I'm not aware of any reason why it might. But if your slopes are only about 10 degrees, even the lawn tractors might be ok.

Atlantic Lawn
04-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Get a good Toro/Exmark walk behind. 44"-52" deck. It's a breeze to cut with and will hold it's value. Safe and easy to operate.