PDA

View Full Version : Taking Credit cards for payment

kevinlane
05-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Anyone know how to set up credit card acceptance in the business? I currently only take checks and cash. However I would like take credit cards.

sancho_man_orlando
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
I take credit cards via pay pal. it's not cheap but sure is easy.

nick-bigfootlawn
05-29-2007, 04:23 PM
You can go through QuickBooks, or pretty much any merchant. They will try to sell you a terminal, but all you need is the ability for online credit card payment entry. I'd consult QuickBooks first and then go from there.

echeandia
05-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Go to your bank and tell them you want to set up a merchant account. I'm not sure that accepting credit cards is cost effective. Your bank will have all the info.

Bigray
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
credit cards take a cut of whatever is charged.

have you considered monthly dedit for your cust.

kevinlane
05-29-2007, 07:44 PM
The Bank is a good idea, I'll check into that, thanks Echeandia. How would I do a Monthly debit, Bigray?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally I think paypal is the better way to go. Your only fee is 3% per transaction (from what I remember). I currently use quickbooks merchant simply b/c thats who I use to do my billing but it's become too expensive ($40 per month plus a transaction %). I'll be canceling that real soon.

Frontier-Lawn
05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
I take credit cards via pay pal. it's not cheap but sure is easy.

its cheaper then the quotes i got from other cc processing company's

GELAWNS
05-31-2007, 12:52 PM
We just started with PayPal on our website and it was fairly easy to set up.

MeadowsLawnCare
05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
paypal is amazingly easy to setup, you can also take echecks, and bank transfers as well as paypal. Its 1.9-2.9% per transaction WITH NO MONTHLY FEES. For an additional $20 month you can take cc over the phone and in person. Paypal is designed for smaller businesses as well as large, I highly recommend it!

kevinlane
05-31-2007, 01:11 PM
I did set up a Paypal business account, so I guess I can be paid directly to my paypal account. But yeah I saw they wanted $20 a month to put it on my website, still the best deal that I have seen. Thanks everyone for the info.

Frontier-Lawn
05-31-2007, 02:43 PM
here's how i have paypal setup on my web page. http://www.frontierlawn.biz/testimonials.html

fiveoboy01
05-31-2007, 10:02 PM
Concerning taking CC payments bia paypal:

Can YOU(as the contractor) actually go in and "charge" the customer's card through paypal? Or do you have to wait for them to pay it?

Cause this brings up the issure of customers paying when they feel like it.

I'd think the biggest advantage to the contractor being able to punch the customer's card number and charge it right then and there, is that there is no issue with waiting for the customer to pay.

Frontier-Lawn
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
yes i can do it i have 3 clients that have there card on file to bill each month.

MeadowsLawnCare
05-31-2007, 11:10 PM
I did set up a Paypal business account, so I guess I can be paid directly to my paypal account. But yeah I saw they wanted $20 a month to put it on my website, still the best deal that I have seen. Thanks everyone for the info.

Its free on the website, it only costs if you accept payments through the phone or in person or whatever.