PDA

View Full Version : crew of 3, summer of 08'

southsideone
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
obviously, looking into starting up more of a mowing service first. offering basic mowing&bagging, edging, blowing, etc. as well as seasonal cleanups. im attempting to kick things off small and simple for summer of 08", to allow myself to do some research and educating myself. it will be only me and 2 others. what would be the ideal equipment to start with? will have a truck and trailer. i was thinking two 21" mowers as well as edger, wackers, blowers, etc. with a crew of 3, how many accounts would we be able to handle 4-6 days a week? (think upper middle class subdivision yards)? thx for anyones input.

Supper Grassy
05-29-2007, 04:16 PM
what type of terrain?
how many acres each?

4curbappeal
05-30-2007, 02:09 AM
obviously, looking into starting up more of a mowing service first. offering basic mowing&bagging, edging, blowing, etc. as well as seasonal cleanups. im attempting to kick things off small and simple for summer of 08", to allow myself to do some research and educating myself. it will be only me and 2 others. what would be the ideal equipment to start with? will have a truck and trailer. i was thinking two 21" mowers as well as edger, wackers, blowers, etc. with a crew of 3, how many accounts would we be able to handle 4-6 days a week? (think upper middle class subdivision yards)? thx for anyones input.

How old are you? Sounds like 3 kids trying to make a quick $! What is a "wacker"? If it is the same thing as the (2) trimmers I paid $300 per then please give the biz a little respect! Go work for a local LCO and learn !

MeadowsLawnCare
05-30-2007, 03:18 AM
Not to be mean or anything, but its not the ammount of yards you will be able to do a week, its getting enough accounts to fill up a whole week with a crew of 3. A lot of people struggle with one person to get a full schedule in their first season much less with 3. If you still think you can get a full schedule you will at least need 1 21" and at least something bigger and commercial like a 36" wb. Then you will need a good trimmer and a good blower as well as an edger.

fiveoboy01
05-30-2007, 03:53 AM
I agree, not to mention that when you split the profits 3 ways you'll all be getting a pittance.

westwind
05-30-2007, 07:09 PM
Replace two of those employees with a good machine and your set.

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Replace two of those employees with a good machine and your set.

What he said.........

WHIPPLE5.7
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
To do a good job and keep 3 poeple busy all week its going to take you just shy of $10K in equipment and thats if you have a truck and trailer already. I've been building a customer base while working at my full time job and been buying equipment for atleast a year now with all of my extra cash. Next year I'm quiting my job to work for myself and I can tell exactly how its going to go. From late Feb. to mid April I'll be powerraking, aerating, fertailizing, seeding, tilling, etc. for 10-12 hours a day and 6 to 7 days a week. In that time frame I'll make about $20,000 solo because I have the right equipment to do it. From the last part of April to Sept. I'll probably have 20-25 weekly accounts and only make about $10,000-$12,000 due to mowing not being the biggest money maker and mowing is your most competition and low ballers to compete with. If you go to low on price your working for free just to pay for gas and keep equipment going. Good luck but I think you are for sure going to struggle to keep 3 guys busy mowing when you are new. I don't know about other places but around here the guys who own all the specialty spring equipment almost always lock in the mowing mowing contracts at those same houses by March.

southsideone
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
How old are you? Sounds like 3 kids trying to make a quick $! What is a "wacker"? If it is the same thing as the (2) trimmers I paid $300 per then please give the biz a little respect! Go work for a local LCO and learn !

try reading a lil' more carefully. i clearly stated that i wouldnt undertake something of this nature for almost another year. as well as stating how i would continue to further educate myself. did i come on and say, "hey, ppl in my neighborhood want me to cut their lawns all summer, what do i need?", no i didnt. as far as wacker, i posted this pretty quickly due to my schdule. i apologize if you feel im not respecting the biz because i reffered to something as weed wacker. dont try to eat my lunch cuz im not fully aware of all the internet acronynms and/or lingo for lawnsite.com and as far as my age, im 24. do i need to be a certain age to POSSIBLY venture into this type of business? perhaps next time maybe just leave all the non-sense out and stick to appropriate advice, such as your last statement.

super grassy, 1/4 - 1 acre yards and relatively flat terrain, midwest.

remotegaming, you actually stated my question better than i did, yes, as in what amount of properties would it take to keep a small crew busy all week/month/season

whipples, thanx for the input. all that you stated is the type of info im looking to get more educated on, such as the power raking, learning aeration/fertilization methods, etc, etc. and also for answering another question i would have, such as an average time when businesses send out contracts/bids.

as far as money, its not comin' out of my you know what, but i do have over 10k if it matters. thx again.