PDA

View Full Version : opinions on syringing during summer

mrkosar
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
what do you guys think about giving the lawn a nice cool 3-4 minute spray with the hose during the hottest part of the day? this is obviously not a substitute for watering, but more in addition to watering 1-1.5" of water per week.

americanlawn
05-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Certainly can't hurt. 'GOFF' courses do it all the time. I equate turf as a pet ... it appreciates being babied whenever possible. Plus....plants need H2O in order to survive. I wish more customers would realize this.

mrkosar
05-29-2007, 08:06 PM
i actually meant spritzing to just cool off the soil and lawn during a really hot day.

EA Quinn
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
i wouldnt do it in the middle of the day. too much of that is going to evaporate. I would wait till the afternoon or late afternoon. most golf course syringe around 3-5 pm.

heritage
05-29-2007, 10:28 PM
i actually meant spritzing to just cool off the soil and lawn during a really hot day.

It's called Syringing...You had it correct! It helps to cool the crowns of the turf.

As E A Quinn says, you will lose more water to Evap.

Pete D.

ncls
05-30-2007, 01:19 AM
Is the customer paying you to do that? I don't have time to hose myself off. Let alone a customer's yard.

lawnservice
05-30-2007, 07:20 AM
I wouldnt be concerned with evaporation since we are talking a very light watering for the purpose of cooling down cool season turf during the stressful heat of the day.

Puttinggreens
05-30-2007, 07:41 AM
The evaporation of the water from the surface of the plant is what gives it the cooling effect.

The fact that cool water is being applied certainly contributes, however that same water can quickly heat up in the sun if too much is applied and cannot evaporate.

Golf courses don't necessarily wait until 3 or 5 PM, they wait until the grass is in need of cooling off. All locations, soil types and turf types are different. Generally if the turf plant is loosing water through respiration / evaporation, faster than it can obtain water through the roots, it may fry and a syringing is needed.

txgrassguy
05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
I am a firm advocate of syringing all types of turfgrass when they are under heat stress.
Just don't add too much water and you will be alright.

Ric
05-30-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't think anyone can argue with the value of syringing all types of turf grass. But my point here is the practicality of doing it. Golf Courses and Professional Sports Turf have a vested interest in maintaining perfect turf and the Budget and Man power to do so. Homeowners, Parks and Recreation areas etc don't have that same luxury.

Also remember Too Much Water on a hot sunny day and it will sunburn the Turf.

Harley-D
05-30-2007, 12:47 PM
I was reading down through this thread and trying to think of what the term was and then...ric comes through! sunburn.
It's when the droplet acts as a small magnifying glass on the turf blade, right?

Have you seen this much ric? Could it be a problem even on thin fescue?

ampeg76
05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think anyone can argue with the value of syringing all types of turf grass. But my point here is the practicality of doing it. Golf Courses and Professional Sports Turf have a vested interest in maintaining perfect turf and the Budget and Man power to do so. Homeowners, Parks and Recreation areas etc don't have that same luxury.

Also remember Too Much Water on a hot sunny day and it will sunburn the Turf.

i've see this quite a bit from afternoon waters'(wife is bored, no sprinkler system), add that to a lawn freshly mowed with a dull blade, yikes, its hard to get customers to sharpen their blades

Ric
05-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I was reading down through this thread and trying to think of what the term was and then...ric comes through! sunburn.
It's when the droplet acts as a small magnifying glass on the turf blade, right?

Have you seen this much ric? Could it be a problem even on thin fescue?

Honda Guy

Yep I have seen quite a bit of it, But more so on shrubs. Like Ampeg pointed out the Bored house wife has to water her prize roses and ends up with both Sunburn and Black Leaf spot.

Since I am in Warm Season Turf I can't say any thing about Fescue.

upidstay
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
If there was a risk of the small droplets acting like a magnifying glass and burning the turf, then golf courses and athletic fields wouldn't do it.

Burning a lawn with water is a myth.

Golf Course superintendants do it daily to help their grass, and it works. Cools off the crowns, helps with heat stress.

timturf
05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
I don't believe it's necesarry on a home lawn under normal conditions!

Water properly, have soil chemistry correct, and promote proper culture pratices!

By the way, the taller the grass, the more water it needs

Never remove more than 1/3 of plant, cut cool season turfgrass between 2-3 inches, yes, even in the transition zone

Shoter you cut the grass....the denser it gets

The more often you cut the grass...the denser it gets

Enough of my soap oprea

Syringing home lawns is generally unnecessary
tim