PDA

View Full Version : lost equipment

CLARK LAWN
05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
i know that you cannot charge employees for broken/damaged equipment but what about stuff being lost through neglgence. i have 2 employees that work togther over the last two weeks they have lost 3 pair of hand pruners, 3 traffic cones 1 of which they left at a job when they loaded up a bagger for a push mow that i found laying in the street a couple blocks away from thier last job and now today i show up at a job to check on them and there is only 1 trimmer when they left with 2. when i asked them about were it was niether knew, they knew that had it at a house 3 before so i drive down but its gone, so either they left it lay there and drove off or they forgot to put the pins in the trimmer trap and it fell out but either way its gone. I think im going to tell them either you each pay for half or your both fired.

rodfather
05-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Easy...can 'em now.

txgrassguy
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
First of all you can hold employees responsible for lost and damaged equipment.
You simply have to have a written policy, signed by both you and the employee outlining what constitutes a statement of charges.
Regarding these two brainiacs, can 'em now, hold their check and send 'em packing.

sheshovel
05-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Fire them they are stealing from you. This rate they will have enough to start their own biz by end of week.

jpp
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Is it possible the trimmer was stolen? Or does the trap have locks on it. Sounds from reading the first post it only had pins and could have been lifted. Check you local pawn shops for it.

JP

CLARK LAWN
05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
no it was not stolen they had it at one job and when i got to the next it was gone. i was mowing the front yard so he would have seen it if some one stole it. they think they left it lay on the devil strip while getting the blower off the trailer and drove away without it.

MeadowsLawnCare
05-30-2007, 03:37 AM
Regarding these two brainiacs, can 'em now, hold their check and send 'em packing.

You can't legally hold paychecks from employees even if you have them on camera stealing from you. You can fire them, but if they earned the money you have to give it to them.

txgrassguy
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
You can't legally hold paychecks from employees even if you have them on camera stealing from you. You can fire them, but if they earned the money you have to give it to them.

Not true - not true at all!
Re-read my post once again, in order to with hold wages - the legally correct term is garnishment, the employer has to have a written policy in effect at the time of the incident and this policy has to have been read by and signed by the employee.
A simple statement included on the employment application as well as the employee hand book provides all the protection a business requires.

Words to the effect that " The employee agrees, as a term of employment, to be held financially responsible for all costs associated with equipment loss, damage through negligence or incorrect operation; and the employee agrees to have all necessary garnishment automatically with held as a condition of employment - failure to acknowledge by signature constitutes a demonstrated unwillingness to adhere to company practices and will result in immediate termination or lack of employment".

It's called an employment contract and is done all of the time.

What you cannot do is with hold wages, ie. garnish, with out a signed agreement in place prior to the act occurring.

Frontier-Lawn
05-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Fire them they are stealing from you. This rate they will have enough to start their own biz by end of week.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :waving: :drinkup:

Frontier-Lawn
05-30-2007, 10:18 PM
heres a form i use for my company.