PDA

View Full Version : Powdery mildew on bluegrass, the worst year

americanlawn
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Lately we're seeing it on most lawns --much much more than normal years. I realize a "preventative" fungicide is recommeded, but now it's too late???....it's really bad this spring. (Kentucky bluegrass growing in partially shaded areas). Heck, we're seeing it on bluegrass that receives over six hours of sunlight. The cultivator 'Midnight' seems to be the most susceptible.
Is there any product you use that stops it after it has a foothold? How often do you have to spray??? How much money are we talking??? Is it worth the money for the homeowner? My lawn has much shade plus Kentucky bluegrass, yet I have no powdery mildew.???

bntt68
05-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Excessive nitrogen can be a factor http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-111-W.pdf

americanlawn
05-30-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the Purdue fact sheet. I read it thoroughly. I think reseeding with disease-resistant cultivars is the most permanent solution, but I doubt many customers will go that far. Oh well. I posted this in case somebody had a "miracle cure" (very few of these in the green industry). LOL

Thanks again, americanlawn.

NattyLawn
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Lately we're seeing it on most lawns --much much more than normal years. I realize a "preventative" fungicide is recommeded, but now it's too late???....it's really bad this spring. (Kentucky bluegrass growing in partially shaded areas). Heck, we're seeing it on bluegrass that receives over six hours of sunlight. The cultivator 'Midnight' seems to be the most susceptible.
Is there any product you use that stops it after it has a foothold? How often do you have to spray??? How much money are we talking??? Is it worth the money for the homeowner? My lawn has much shade plus Kentucky bluegrass, yet I have no powdery mildew.???

How's the airflow in the affected areas? Shade and no airflow usually equal mildew in my area. Never had to spray it.

bntt68
05-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Good luck Americanlawn. These problems can make you pull your hair out at times, especially when Mother Nature is never the same from year to year.

americanlawn
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
You guys got that right. Seems our customers understand why they have powdery mildew -- I think mainly cuz we give them land-grant university "fact sheets" which explain why. Seems most of them are more worried about their last golf score! LOL

DUSTYCEDAR
06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
look clown i pay u for a nice lawn and i have mold why why why why
sounds like a personal problem lol
have u tried armada