PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with these Hawthornes?

lawnguy26
05-29-2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/s_193354.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/s_193406.jpg

lawnguy26
05-29-2007, 08:15 PM
UUHHH....Hopefully these pictures will be a little larger.

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/b_193354.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/b_193406.jpg

sheshovel
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Can't tell, lets see the branch they cane off of still attached to the tree. Some lighter pics?

cajuncutters
05-29-2007, 08:27 PM
All you have to do is put some soap and water on this bush with a spray bottle and rinse off later and it will be all gone.

heritage
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
UUHHH....Hopefully these pictures will be a little larger.

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/b_193354.jpg

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/91277/20070529/b_193406.jpg

Photos are very dark.

It looks like sooty mold from the honeydew of aphids. Seen this on citrus.

Post bright photos, so we can get a better look. :)

Pete D

ProMo
05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
im no expert but It looks like chilli thrip damage.

Ric
05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
im no expert but It looks like chilli thrip damage.

Bryan

Or it could Mites. But in either case it looks like insect damage. A pictures isn't always the same as looking at the plant in Person.

olive123
05-30-2007, 09:55 AM
hawthornes get this a lot. It seems to be two insects, leaf miner and mites.
Merit drench. Also they like to get fungicide often mine look best when I treat quarterly with merit with a systemic fungicide or merit then second application of a contact fungicide

Ric
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
hawthornes get this a lot. It seems to be two insects, leaf miner and mites.
Merit drench. Also they like to get fungicide often mine look best when I treat quarterly with merit with a systemic fungicide or merit then second application of a contact fungicide

Olive

I Bad, I left out Leaf Miner in my post and you can clearly see the trails in the Leaf. Hard Scale is another thing I see on Hawthorns more than any other Insect.

olive123
05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
i forgot that one-were even-In so Fla-particulary in my city (water ph is 9) dont forget the l700 acidifing surfactant when drenching with merit.

bug-guy
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
leaf miner use systemic and remove as many infective leafs from the plant and the ground around it these old leaf will keep the bug around

sheshovel
05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Leaf miner.

americanlawn
05-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Looks like leaf blotch miner? Never the less, it certainly will not harm the tree as it's merely a cosmetic prob. But try telling that to a customer. LOL

treesaregood
06-01-2007, 12:49 AM
So many people willing to diagnose a problem without seeing more? They are probably correct. But please post pics of the limbs as well to rule out fire blight. Also, Merit should only be used before the insects become active, works best when applied with a light rate of liquid fertilizer to aid uptake, and, very important, Imidacloprid a.k.a. Merit 2F, stimulates egg production in two-spotted spider mites (damaging to Hawthornes) . So please be careful in pesticide selection. If you have no other choice in your particular area, then apply the Merit as a foliar spray with a miticide/ovicide such as Hexygon. But above all, a responsible diagnosis cannot be made by leaf alone, this leads to application of pesticide where none may be warranted and helps give our industry yet another black eye.

Ric
06-01-2007, 01:17 AM
So many people willing to diagnose a problem without seeing more? They are probably correct. But please post pics of the limbs as well to rule out fire blight. Also, Merit should only be used before the insects become active, works best when applied with a light rate of liquid fertilizer to aid uptake, and, very important, Imidacloprid a.k.a. Merit 2F, stimulates egg production in two-spotted spider mites (damaging to Hawthornes) . So please be careful in pesticide selection. If you have no other choice in your particular area, then apply the Merit as a foliar spray with a miticide/ovicide such as Hexygon. But above all, a responsible diagnosis cannot be made by leaf alone, this leads to application of pesticide where none may be warranted and helps give our industry yet another black eye.

Treesaregood

Nice Post I learned something about Mites and Imidacloprid. What are your thoughts on different Brands of Imidacloprid?????? I prefer Tristar for spraying because I am told it has better foliar absorption. However I learned the hard way Merit is better applied granular. I posted here on Lawnsite that I was using Merit 5G on shrubs before it was labelled for such unknowingly and was called on it. That made me read the Label a lot more. I Like to use Insecticidal Soap in my Shrub cocktail and have had little problem with mites over the years. In fact I like to use Soap & Oil but must be careful with oil in the hot dry months when insect pressure is greatest.

Big M LawnnSnow
06-01-2007, 05:31 AM
It looks alot like fire blight

lawnguy26
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
It's Chilli Thrips, no doubt. I am starting to see a lot of these around this area. They are also affecting Loralpedlums(spelling?). Lesco Rep says to use Conserve on them.

greendoctor
04-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Treesaregood

Nice Post I learned something about Mites and Imidacloprid. What are your thoughts on different Brands of Imidacloprid?????? I prefer Tristar for spraying because I am told it has better foliar absorption. However I learned the hard way Merit is better applied granular. I posted here on Lawnsite that I was using Merit 5G on shrubs before it was labelled for such unknowingly and was called on it. That made me read the Label a lot more. I Like to use Insecticidal Soap in my Shrub cocktail and have had little problem with mites over the years. In fact I like to use Soap & Oil but must be careful with oil in the hot dry months when insect pressure is greatest.

I have never had a problem with Merit causing mites to flare up. Probably becaue I am applying a tank mix of Merit + 1% Ultrafine oil. I have seen worse problems caused by amateurs spraying Sevin, pyrethroids of all kinds and Orthene. I find that my mite problems are not aggravated by even a soil application of Merit because I am not spraying the tree or shrub with one of the above several times a year. Both Tristar and a similar product, Safari are better for foliar application because they are water soluble. Merit is not very soluble in water, however oils and solvents will disolve it. I have gotten really poor results from spraying Merit without oil. I do not think it is the oil doing all of the work either, because a shrub treated with oil only is reinfested with the scales, etc much sooner than one sprayed with the tank mix.

Greg Amann
04-02-2008, 06:53 AM
I am going to second Chilli Thrips. The pictures aren't real clear but it looks very similar to what we are seeing.
I have pineapple guava plants now showing damage from them. It looks the same on Hawthorne. Almost a metalic look to the damage.
Here is a picture from a link I found. http://chillithrips.tamu.edu/img/other/ct_hawthorn_damage_lg.jpg

PHS
04-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Chili thrips looks like a possibility if they are in the area. I'm going to look more into them 'cause that may be an answer to some mystery problems I had last year, thanks Lawnguy.

http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/lso/thripslinks.htm

So many people willing to diagnose a problem without seeing more?

That's a great point but don't worry about it too much. I just look at it as a brainstorm and I always learn something from the wrong answers because I take a minute to research something that I wouldn't have thought about otherwise. Take your Merit/Hexygon advice. That sounds like a good combo if mites are an issue but if I used it I would be wasting an expensive material because of the weather here, mites for the most part aren't an issue.

A.T.A.K
04-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Bryan you and Greg are correct chilli thrips are the culprit alot of them in Orlando they spread like wild fire.

BocaChris
04-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Looks like leaf miners to me but to know if it is or isnt thrips take a clipping of it and put it in a zip lock back on a hot day, the bag should get condensation on the inside and the thrips will jump off the plant and make tracks through the condensation