PDA

View Full Version : Retainig wall steps

qualitycut
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
I am trying to figure out the best way to bid retaining wall steps going up a hill.They will be 4 feet wide and that length from top of hill to bottom is 25 feet. Can someone please help me.

Thanks in advance.

patpls
05-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey diesel, try some pre made concrete steps, borgert and Interlok make them. They're 4 ft wide, 6" tall and 18" deep, obviously you'll need 50 of them to get up 25'. 6" of class 5 as a base for each and build away. I just put in 22 of these guys and as long as you have good access and the right equip it'll go ok.

AGLA
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
A set of steps is based upon both the rise and the run. A length of 25' tells us little. It might rise 3' or it could be 9' or whatever. That will make a significant difference in how you approach constructing the steps. Also, will your wall go up as high as the top step and fil the slope?

You can't accurately bid a wall job without a plan. You can't plan without adequate information. You need to take elevation shots and horizontal measurements to make an existing conditions plan. Then you accurately test the results of what you think you want to do on paper to make sure it works. After that, you (or somebody) can calculate the number of blocks and how much fill you need.

Be very aware about the sides of the steps and how you will retain the soil to the sides. It is often overlooked by people who have not done a lot of steps.