PDA

View Full Version : Toro 36 Proline Transmission Problems

F.S Lawn Care
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Well I recently bought a used toro 36 and the transmission is going down the drain. It works okay in some gears, but not at all in some. A repair man told me its probably the transmission, but he wanted $80 for an estimate, so screw that. How much should I expect to pay for a new peerless transmission? He said it would be around 70$ per hour of labor plus parts........he said they arent too hard to install and i'm pretty mechanically inclined, and my business partner is even more. I keep kicking myself because I knew this piece of crap was bad news when i bought it but I needed a 36" at the time badly.

Richard Martin
05-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Usually around $200 on the internet. Just get the numbers off of the tag on the back of the tranny. The tag is recessed a little bit between the top and bottom halves of the tranny case.

F.S Lawn Care
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
OK i got that, but would it be better to do it myself or hire someone to do it......its pretty old and i dont know if its even worth it

Richard Martin
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
On most newer Peerless trannies there are 4 bolts that secure the tranny to the frame. There should be one circlip securing the pulley to the input shaft of the tranny. The half shafts slide off of the output shafts. There is one nut holding the shifter on. The neutral safety switch screws into the top of the tranny.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

F.S Lawn Care
05-31-2007, 11:05 AM
Hahah Im pretty sure I'm at least as smart as a caveman, so I'll do it.