PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for pavers and colors?

WorkinIt
05-29-2007, 10:56 PM
Been reading this site for a while, and seen a lot of good comments and suggestions. I'm building a patio on the back of a very traditional Colonial style house. It's pretty square, both to fit the space and also to match up to the house style. Colors are the colonial style rustic Tudor red-orange brick, a buff colored cut Indiana limestone cap stone, a little darker brown SRW blocks and caps, and a darker slightly reddish brown stained deck wood (hopefully this will show up in the attached pictures).

I'm limited to Belgard pavers - they are all that's available in this area. Leaning pretty hard toward Dublin modular mixed with the large squares. The first thing I don't know about is what to do for a soldier course. The main patio area is against a brick knee wall. I'm thinking about using the large squares as a soldier course. The other thing I need advice on is paver color.

Can anyone provide some suggestions for colors and soldier course design?

WorkinIt
05-29-2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81818&d=1180492316

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81817&d=1180492264

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81816&d=1180492159

WorkinIt
05-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Sorry, had a lot of problems with uploading pictures last night. Hopefully this will work.

greg1
06-02-2007, 06:33 PM
First off is that Belgard is a quality manufacturer. Second is not to run a soldier course in brick as you already have the soldier course in caps on the block retaining wall, the two would get confusing so just run your pattern into the caps. thirdly for color, if it is availiable try to incorporate some red flashed pavers in there to pick up the rest of the construction.

cgland
06-02-2007, 07:27 PM
First off is that Belgard is a quality manufacturer.

Yeah! OK!

Chris

WorkinIt
06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I see there's another response about Belgard below - I've seen some discussion in various places that talks about their quality. It's pretty simple for me - I don't have access to any other manufacturer's product other than Belgard.

I initially thought that I wouldn't put a solider/sailor course in, either, because of the same reason you mentioned. But the lady of the house seems to think it needs one, and that caused me to second guess my initial thought. A small soldier would probably look too busy, and just contrast too much with the brick. But Belgard sells these 'large squares' that are something like 12" square, and I wonder how that would look as a soldier.

Thanks again for your help.

Forgot to mention that I was thinking about the soldier course only for the main body of the patio, not the smaller 'step' portion out into the yard. And now that I'm thinking about it again, would it look too goofy to have a soldier course on the main patio but not on that lower step part? The caps on the retaining block kind of work as the solider there.

cgland
06-03-2007, 07:50 AM
As far as the border against a cap or step.......that's personal preference. I happen to like it, so we do it all the time. Don't get me wrong, there is a right place and a wrong place to do it. If it's a real small landing, then we won't because it leaves little room for pavers, but in larger areas....absolutely!

Chris

WorkinIt
06-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Man, some of the stuff you guys post on here just make me drool! Those pictures are fantastic!

I'm definitely not at that level, but the curves on that patio look great. And that's great example of the soldier course at a threshold like that.