PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I found a preventative for chafing.

lasher66
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
At least this works for me and I tryed everything. The product is called "body glide". They carry it at some Dicks sporting goods stores, but I got mine on amazon.com. Just do a search for body glide on that site. Its kind of expensive, but it is well worth it. I was getting chafed really bad in the crotch area and between the buttocks really bad and it was making mowing very difficult some days. I apply this product before I go out and have since not had a problem. Hope this helps out anyone suffering like I was. Here is a link I found, but you might be able to find it cheaper if you shop around.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0007ZKIPU/ref=s9_asin_title_1/002-8721430-3876839?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BWNJDXFH57487TPZPFV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=278247301&pf_rd_i=507846

LawnBrother
05-30-2007, 09:46 AM
I just use bacon grease. :cool2:

David Hartzog
05-30-2007, 11:52 AM
here's where having 4 kids comes in handy...

baby powder. then if you do get chapped...diaper rash cream. desitin if you got it...it has alot of zinc oxide active ingrediant. that stupid 'butt paste' crap dosn't work. just has a cute name.

Daneman
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
I have one better than babypowder, corn starch. I used to work in the restaurant industry, and corn starch performed better than baby powder. It helped ease the pain of "swampnutz"

LOL, I never thought I'd be giving this tip out...

StBalor
05-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Goldbond powder, but watch useing the medicated, it packs a sting at 1st.

brucec
05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Thats almost TMI, LOL! I find with bacon grease dogs pay to much attention "back there" if you know what I mean! LOL! Good advice!

Envy Lawn Service
05-30-2007, 02:24 PM
LOL...

I don't know... I never found a cure-all.

At times I have a big problem with it on the sides of my legs.
I find that boxer briefs do wonders for this....
Provided they don't stretch into just boxers in an hour.

Helps to have something there to reduce the friction.
Baby powerers help too... to a point.
Again, the talc reduces the friction for a while.

Myself, I just use the boxer briefs and cool shorts.
When this starts to fail, I apply a little smooth dry anti-perspirant deodorant stick to the insides of my legs.
I think it's a sports talc kind.

Works wonders for that to a point.
But I don't see that working for other cases.

I'll have to check out that body glide stuff.

BACON GREASE????????????????

Nosmo
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Corn Starch .

Mr Priceless
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I have one better than babypowder, corn starch. I used to work in the restaurant industry, and corn starch performed better than baby powder. It helped ease the pain of "swampnutz"

LOL, I never thought I'd be giving this tip out...

Corn Starch .

i second that. pain INSTANTLY goes away. :cool2:

bohiaa
05-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I found a better way........... Wash your ass..... daily

ProMo
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
I saw this at an ace hardware http://antimonkeybutt.com/

sheshovel
05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I just use bacon grease. :cool2:

Do that here and the meat wasps would be in your pants eating you alive in about 5 seconds.

Supper Grassy
05-30-2007, 05:17 PM
I like gold bond cream

get ready for the BURN

LawnBrother
05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Do that here and the meat wasps would be in your pants eating you alive in about 5 seconds.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: For the record I was joking, but what the hell is a "meat wasp"???

JLC
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM

...end of a long day, and this struck me funny. LOL :laugh: :laugh:

Lawnshow
05-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I tried many things as well, Desitin works well for me. It doesn't wipe away when you continue to sweat. Nothing sucks more then "monkey butt." I tell my guys, "If you dont' have monkey butt, your not working hard enough!!":cry:

stevo22
05-30-2007, 10:03 PM
i posted a question about this a few yrs ago i think...i tried every thing...whitey tighties, boxers, boxer briefs, baby powder, corn starch, desitin etc etc etc...the best anti chaffing remedy that i have found is going "commando"...that's right i said it...loose pr of shorts and that's it...has worked for me since...

mitw44
05-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Moisture-wicking fabrics, such as UnderArmour underwear, help. Moisture-wicking liner socks are great too, under your regular socks.

sildoc
05-30-2007, 10:25 PM
this comes up every year and the norm has been said. I have a wife that works in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). they use this stuff called aquaphor. it is for sensitive skin on babies that get diper rash. I have tried it all and all of it works to a point. Aquaphor works wonders when the rest don't, however constant friction regardless what you put down there will still result the same.
walking like you rode a horse all day.

puppypaws
05-30-2007, 11:09 PM
Corn Starch .

There has to be something to corn starch because 8 Mexican's come to my farm and catch 72,000+ chickens. The first thing they do is pour corn starch under their arms and in their pants.

You talking about work, most people would not last 5 minutes bending over and catching 3 or 4 chickens in each hand at once, then throwing them in a cage. They wrap their fingers with some kind of green material and go at it wide open with 2 fork lifts keeping the cages in and out of the houses and loaded on tractor trailer trucks.

You have never seen anybody work like they do except the Mexican's at the processing plant that are taking them back out of the cages and hanging them on shackles to be stunned before their throat is cut while their heart is still beating to pump all the blood out of their body.

lasher66
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I hate to say this but I tryed about all the remedies you guys mentioned (except the bacon grease) and I am not kidding, this body glide stuff is the first stuff I found in 9 yrs of mowing that helped me. I just put it on before I go and never even start to get chafed the whole day. I spent many painful nights sleeping with my legs spread wide open and the ceiling fan blowing on my crotch. I got kids too, and tryed all there diaper rash stuff and it might of helped sooth the chafing, but didnt prevent it from happening again. Just thought I might be able to help someone that was going through the same thing.
P.S. I do wash my rear end (ha ha)

Jason

thefed
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
corn starch cures monkey butt

General Landscaping
05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Get a separate stick of antiperspirant and use it for "C&S" (crack-n-sack)
Put it on in the morning just like your normal stuff.

That method combined with commando attire works for me.

When being wet from 8-6 finally catches up with ya; Desitin works good to get things calmed back down...... If you can stand the smell.

Envy Lawn Service
05-31-2007, 12:01 AM
I hate to say this but I tryed about all the remedies you guys mentioned (except the bacon grease) and I am not kidding, this body glide stuff is the first stuff I found in 9 yrs of mowing that helped me. I just put it on before I go and never even start to get chafed the whole day. I spent many painful nights sleeping with my legs spread wide open and the ceiling fan blowing on my crotch. I got kids too, and tryed all there diaper rash stuff and it might of helped sooth the chafing, but didnt prevent it from happening again. Just thought I might be able to help someone that was going through the same thing.
P.S. I do wash my rear end (ha ha)

Jason

I'll grab some next time I'm in Dick's Sporting Goods.

My guess is that it's an alcohol free anti-perspirant stick.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
05-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Great thread... seriously. I have had the same issue for the last several years, and at times it hurts so bad I want to cry....

I too have tried the diaper rash stuff and it worked okay, but it would wear off during the day and I hated the way it smelled.

I tried using hydrocortizone anti itch creme and it works about as good as the diaper rash stuff, but it too wears off before the day is over and I am not sure using that stuff every day is good for you

I tried vasoline, and it works okay too, but again... it will wear away before the day is out.

I recently - this season - have tried the baby powder, and or Goldbold medicated powder - for feet... - and the Goldbold seems to last longer, but needs to be reapplied several times during the day.

I am very excited to hear of something better. I have even been to the skin doctor twice to see if there is something I can do and there really isn't he said...

I wash up every morning and every evening so that isn't the issue.

I do think that the fact that alot of us spend alot of time sitting on a hot vinyl seat on a ZTR, where our butts and crotches can't get alot of fresh cool air is not good for the situation... Been thinking of trying to get my seat recovered in fabric and keeping a slip on vinyl cover for incase it rains

I too found freeballing is best, and boxer briefs are about the only thing that works if you just can't go commando... I tossed all my tighty whites out to the shed to be used as grease rags last summer.

My new issue - started last summer - is a pretty foul smell coming from my rear after a few hours of working. It seems to be barely noticeable when I wear cotton based shorts, freeballing or not..... but if I wear polyester type shorts - like the two pairs my wife just bought me that are supposed to wick the sweat away from you keeping you cool - by the end of the day I smell like ass. And it is a strong smell, not a smell like I forgot to wipe my rear, but a yuck smell none the less. I suspect it is the vasoline or the other cremes I use getting down into the you know what and causing the smell. I think the poly shorts allow the "tainted creme" to wick out of the shorts making the smell so strong, even allowing the smell to soak into the seat on my truck - can you say nasty? !!! - So saying all that, I am hoping to find something that will work and not leave a odor...

The doctor told me when I first went to see him that the reason I didn't have this problem earlier is because I have gained weight.... If I could loose some weight and get thinner in that area the problem would go away. I think riding around on a hot vinyl seat is also a big part of the problem. Makes me want a walkbehind and velkie during the summer

LawnBrother
05-31-2007, 06:55 AM
this comes up every year and the norm has been said. I have a wife that works in the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit). they use this stuff called aquaphor. it is for sensitive skin on babies that get diper rash. I have tried it all and all of it works to a point. Aquaphor works wonders when the rest don't, however constant friction regardless what you put down there will still result the same.
walking like you rode a horse all day.

I second that. Aquaphor is awesome stuff. It's all I use for dry skin.

Pro-Scapes
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
There has to be something to corn starch because 8 Mexican's come to my farm and catch 72,000+ chickens. The first thing they do is pour corn starch under their arms and in their pants.

You talking about work, most people would not last 5 minutes bending over and catching 3 or 4 chickens in each hand at once, then throwing them in a cage. They wrap their fingers with some kind of green material and go at it wide open with 2 fork lifts keeping the cages in and out of the houses and loaded on tractor trailer trucks.

You have never seen anybody work like they do except the Mexican's at the processing plant that are taking them back out of the cages and hanging them on shackles to be stunned before their throat is cut while their heart is still beating to pump all the blood out of their body.

yeah always a show when the chickens go to sell... Thats HARD work in a NASTY enviorment. I cant handle it... The amonia gets into my skin if i sweat and makes me burn bad. Baby powder in the morning works for me along with some snug fitting boxer briefs.

sildoc
05-31-2007, 08:45 PM
The doctor told me when I first went to see him that the reason I didn't have this problem earlier is because I have gained weight.... If I could loose some weight and get thinner in that area the problem would go away.

flab creates friction. he is right. when I first start in spring after wintering well I get it more but after a couple of months and 30 less pounds I don't get as often. I guess it could be calloused also but none the less.

Babbages01
06-01-2007, 04:06 AM
I wear UnderArmour constantly. I run and mow in them and just about anything that requires a lot of leg movement. I've never had a problem anywhere else except between my legs and a $30 pair of UnderArmour underwear has had me walking comfortably everyday for the past year.

Yeah, they get kinda sweaty but they still wick away the moisture and keeps your legs from rubbing skin to skin which is what the real problem is. They always stay nice and tight and keep everything in its place.

Envy Lawn Service
06-04-2007, 01:03 PM
I wear UnderArmour constantly. I run and mow in them and just about anything that requires a lot of leg movement. I've never had a problem anywhere else except between my legs and a $30 pair of UnderArmour underwear has had me walking comfortably everyday for the past year.

Yeah, they get kinda sweaty but they still wick away the moisture and keeps your legs from rubbing skin to skin which is what the real problem is. They always stay nice and tight and keep everything in its place.

That's an issue with a ton of boxer briefs.
After a half hour or so, their 'just boxers'.
All stretched out and loose.

I've been able to find a few that do like they are supposed to.
I haven't tried those UnderArmor ones though.
I'm guessing maybe Dick's Sporting Goods might have those too?

topsites
06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Crack Spackle – The First Name in Butt Concealment
Is your canyon open to yodeling?
How to make your crack look like your back...

Embarrassing butt cleavage?
You try to keep your pants up but they just won’t stay!
Well that won’t ever happen again if you use Crack Spackle!
The amazing new product that makes your crack look just like your back…
Just pack the compound into the crevice, smooth the surface,
blow dry - and you’re ready to go!

Made from space-age polymers and waterproof resins,
Crack Spackle allows you to lead a full & active lifestyle!
Crack Spackle is odorless and comes in a variety of colors to match any ass!
And Crack Spackle is easily removed so no-one has to know your secret...
So throw away those belts because whether you’re on the job or on the run…
If your canyon’s open to yodeling, Crack Spackle’s got your back!

Available in regular and Oprah-size around fine stores everywhere...

R.KellColeman
06-05-2007, 08:35 PM
WOW, just wow........

Envy Lawn Service
06-06-2007, 01:28 AM
WOW, just wow........

:laugh: Welcome to Lawnsite!

:o We discuss it all......

TPnTX
06-09-2007, 07:47 AM
the answer is right under your nose. Well okay it's right under your arm.

Use Sure unscented antipersperant. spray preferably.

larryslawn
06-09-2007, 08:19 AM
use your wife's underarm antipersperant works best!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I got one of those Body Glides, and so far so good. Works as good as anything else I have ever used, and does seem to feel and look alot like underarm antipersperant....

wildweasel7648
06-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Tight fit boxers work for me-but washing your butt isn't a bad idea - keeps the flies away...

TPnTX
06-09-2007, 04:18 PM
larry is evil because his wife uses a solid. She probably pisses in his cherios.

APV's Mowing
06-18-2007, 12:58 AM
goldbond in the blue bottle just bought it today it works wonders haha and dont use any creams the pharmacy i go to said it would make it worse because it wont absorbe any...and also i just bought some Under Armor boxers and those are the shizznit

Uranus
06-18-2007, 01:42 AM

:nono: Uranus say dont do that. :nono: Believe it or not if you dont wash up for a week or 2 your body produces an anti chafe cream. So what if you walk around with a case of monkey butt. Not like most of you have lady fiends anyways. Let nature take its course.

lawnboynextdoor
06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
while i was in iraq people were always getting monkey butt. i don't know about curing it but to prevent the gold bond in the blue bottle is nice. it has a minty freshness so when you sweat it is like a nice cool breeze.

new to the site new to the biz ... love the info

Grits
06-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Great thread... seriously. I have had the same issue for the last several years, and at times it hurts so bad I want to cry....

I too have tried the diaper rash stuff and it worked okay, but it would wear off during the day and I hated the way it smelled.

I tried using hydrocortizone anti itch creme and it works about as good as the diaper rash stuff, but it too wears off before the day is over and I am not sure using that stuff every day is good for you

I tried vasoline, and it works okay too, but again... it will wear away before the day is out.

I recently - this season - have tried the baby powder, and or Goldbold medicated powder - for feet... - and the Goldbold seems to last longer, but needs to be reapplied several times during the day.

I am very excited to hear of something better. I have even been to the skin doctor twice to see if there is something I can do and there really isn't he said...

I wash up every morning and every evening so that isn't the issue.

I do think that the fact that alot of us spend alot of time sitting on a hot vinyl seat on a ZTR, where our butts and crotches can't get alot of fresh cool air is not good for the situation... Been thinking of trying to get my seat recovered in fabric and keeping a slip on vinyl cover for incase it rains

I too found freeballing is best, and boxer briefs are about the only thing that works if you just can't go commando... I tossed all my tighty whites out to the shed to be used as grease rags last summer.

My new issue - started last summer - is a pretty foul smell coming from my rear after a few hours of working. It seems to be barely noticeable when I wear cotton based shorts, freeballing or not..... but if I wear polyester type shorts - like the two pairs my wife just bought me that are supposed to wick the sweat away from you keeping you cool - by the end of the day I smell like ass. And it is a strong smell, not a smell like I forgot to wipe my rear, but a yuck smell none the less. I suspect it is the vasoline or the other cremes I use getting down into the you know what and causing the smell. I think the poly shorts allow the "tainted creme" to wick out of the shorts making the smell so strong, even allowing the smell to soak into the seat on my truck - can you say nasty? !!! - So saying all that, I am hoping to find something that will work and not leave a odor...

The doctor told me when I first went to see him that the reason I didn't have this problem earlier is because I have gained weight.... If I could loose some weight and get thinner in that area the problem would go away. I think riding around on a hot vinyl seat is also a big part of the problem. Makes me want a walkbehind and velkie during the summer

You still get it even with a WB and velkie....trust me.....I know!!

Envy Lawn Service
06-19-2007, 11:18 PM
OK... here's an update from me...

Here's what I have been using with great success for friction burn inside the legs.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/411T106S5HL._SS500_.jpg

Degree Men Ultra Dry
Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant
Cool Comfort for Sensitive Skin
Invisible Stick

I'm here to tell you... this stuff works like a charm.
No white mess... no nasty feel... etc.

I've been using it for weeks now, even doing roofing work at my house lately, which is MUCH HOTTER than lawn work. No problems at all, even wringing wet sweating for 12 hours or more on a hot roof.

vaughnslawns
06-19-2007, 11:54 PM
*trucewhiteflag* " bag balm " WALMART NEAR THE LOTIONS GREEN CAN

APV's Mowing
06-20-2007, 12:13 AM
ditto the degree, but body reactent or somethin, i think it works more when you sweat more and you will seriously smell good good good allllll day even when you think that you have sweat it off by w/e its still workin

lasher66
06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I will give it a try when my body glide is gone, I hope it works for me because the body glide is very expensive. Thanks

Jason