PDA

View Full Version : Pita

Poncho25
05-30-2007, 12:54 PM
So I get to my 1st house for today which was around 8:15, when I get done the guy who lives next door comes out and starts bitching at me for being there to early and that I woke him up, he went on to tell me that he and his kids didn't goto bed till 3am...and being he is out of work atm he was sleeping in... I was very polite about this even though I wanted to just rip him a new one!! This wasn't to early, as the ord is usally anytime after 8am. 2nd of all get up off your fat ass and get a job instead of sleeping in u tard!! He kept asking me to make that client my last for the day...I told him sorry but no, he is my 1st client of the day and then I work my way back towards where I live!!
I just don't understand some people sometimes i guess...

txgrassguy
05-30-2007, 01:42 PM
You are much more kind than I am.
Local Ordinance says I can start at 08:00 then 8:00 it is.
Dude starts in on me I will explain, only ONCE, that I am in the right.
He continues than he can either speak to the cops or the business end of my shovel.

TPLawnPro
05-30-2007, 05:20 PM
This LAGrassGuy is in 100% agreement with the TXGrassGuy.

That annoying PITA neighbor either gets a visit from the cops, or if he gets out of hand - :hammerhead: .

okeefl
05-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Do your absolute best to be there at 0805 next week.

Supper Grassy
05-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Do your absolute best to be there at 0805 next week.

not even be at the site before * so when the clock strikes * you can turn every piece of equiptment on, if the guys comes out again tell him to talk to police and you are clearly allowed to cut since the ordnice states that you can start cutting at *

KTO Enterprises
05-30-2007, 09:19 PM
You handled that a lot better than I would have. More than likely that would have come to me an him mashing in the front yard. I have had people come out and complain because I was stirring up dust. That usually ends up in a lot of those 4 letter words George Carlin says are bad coming out of my mouth.

lawnman_scott
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I had this problem with a neighbor once at about 10. Well they called the number on the trailer to tell me the guy in the truck was using racial profanities towards them. So I did switch it to about 7:45 am. I also let them know I was the owner and not to (profanity)lie about things. It didnt help, but made me feel better that they knew that I knew they could do nothing.

GreenN'Clean
05-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Wow we start as early as 6 30 am on some routes but normally start at 7am sharp. This is a Business and people shouldn't get bent out of shape for people doing there jobs. We have garbage men starting as early as 5-6 am dumping and throwing trash in there trucks making tons of noise and know one ever complains.

Poncho25
05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah well the city of Tampa has an Ordinance of 8am so I usally am out on the road by 730 - 745 the latest. reason being I handled it that way, is that alot of times I am solo when I do this route and the last thing i want happening is some loser going out to my trailer when I am in the back an start stealin stuff. This was the 1st time he ever said anything to me, then again I just picked up this account a few weeks ago... I will wait and see if he starts crap with me again about it.

Frontier-Lawn
05-31-2007, 11:01 AM
speak to the cops or the business end of my shovel.

bobby lives on :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
05-31-2007, 11:37 AM
we have all gone thru rough spots in our lives.. the guy is obviously cranky being out of work and all. Kill em with kindness. "ok thank you sir have a great day" if he persists "ok we got it under control thanks for letting us know" and if this has not aggitated the crap out of him by now " Wow look at the time Im running behind it was great to meet ya" and promptly leave.

Ordinance is 8 I say fire up at 8. Maybe next time a muffler just might be loose :)

Poncho25
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM
we have all gone thru rough spots in our lives.. the guy is obviously cranky being out of work and all. Kill em with kindness. "ok thank you sir have a great day" if he persists "ok we got it under control thanks for letting us know" and if this has not aggitated the crap out of him by now " Wow look at the time Im running behind it was great to meet ya" and promptly leave.

Ordinance is 8 I say fire up at 8. Maybe next time a muffler just might be loose :)

haha thats funny, cause thats exactly how i was handling it! It seemed to upset him even more as I was kind. We will see next week.

fiveoboy01
05-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Lots of "hardasses" in this thread.

I'm sure many of you are talking the talk, but would not walk the walk if it came down to it.

Simply be polite and state that the local ordinance says you can cut after 8am and that you have work to do. Then continue working without paying attention to the guy and if he takes it further than that, simply call the police and let them handle it. All this talk of "kickin some ass" just sounds like a bunch of scrubs talking.

TPLawnPro
06-01-2007, 12:59 AM

I'm sure many of you are talking the talk, but would not walk the walk if it came down to it.

Nope, we handle our business the old fashioned way down here in the south. Getting into a physical altercation has become a way of life down here.

Win some, Lose some.

KTO Enterprises
06-01-2007, 01:08 AM

Im a southern short track racer. We discuss things with fists. Not uncommon to have to mash with someone. Thats just how we handle things in the south.

fiveoboy01
06-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Well practice whatever your culture teaches but letting extend to your business practices(or even suggesting as such) is idiotic and un-professional.

It's generally the sign of a man who can't win an argument using his brain, so he resorts to using his fists.

KTO Enterprises
06-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Its usually the person on the other end that cant comprehend the words, so pain gets the point across nicely.

TPLawnPro
06-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Well practice whatever your culture teaches but letting extend to your business practices(or even suggesting as such) is idiotic and un-professional.

It's generally the sign of a man who can't win an argument using his brain, so he resorts to using his fists.

You handle your situations your way, and we'll handle them our way. I guess your opinion is just your opinion.

fiveoboy01
06-01-2007, 01:57 AM
And so is yours.. I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

topsites
06-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Words actually DO stop them...

Thou it took many years before I learned HOW to say 'Thank you for your time' and have it work on folks like that. More than a few rode or tried to ride me, more than one wouldn't go away until I grabbed some *&%^'r by the throat, but over time it burned me to such a degree, I haven't had a one fool with me since.

It's not just tough talk, it really gets to that point with that odd screwball likes to come around about once or twice a year, I do believe more than one Lco has either gone off, or at least thought about it to the point where it wouldn't have took much. But over time I do agree, violence is not the answer, even if it works.

My answer is likely politically incorrect, but so long these folks are not paying for my time, I will run the show.

It's all in how you say it, and the meaning behind the words, too.
I guess in some ways I had to get ridden before the meaning took hold, but what I don't get is what makes people do this. No, I do get it, the one thing that I kept thinking about is that here's someone having a bad day (or not as good as it could be) and they have this idea on how to make themselves feel better, at my expense.

Yup, come on, here's a dumbo lawnboy and he thinks he's all that... Well I'm gonna just have a couple of words so he don't feel so smug and then I can walk away feeling like ahhhh...

I tell you, the way I say 'ty4urtime' to these folks I don't think they get much out of it, most leave me alone...
For one, I see them coming and I don't slow down, I don't turn the blades off, I don't even turn the rpm's down, and as soon as the words are out of my mouth I turn around and get right back to work.

The worst part is, they get nowhere with me and if they're ueber gay, they later complain to my customer about whatever it is that bothered them... I've lost a few customers like that, they never say what it is and it's super gay because it's the kind where suddenly it is this BIG problem where there really was never a problem before type of thing, like they make something up to discontinue service... Thou in hindsight I can also say it wasn't usually that big of a loss.

Yet another reason I never look, wave, or pay attention to nobody.

sheshovel
06-01-2007, 04:55 AM
You handle your situations your way, and we'll handle them our way. I guess your opinion is just your opinion.

Oh you do do ya? Then why didn't the guy come out and knock you off your mower and beat the living crap out of you for waking him up? I mean...that IS the way you in the south handle your situations right?:cool2:
His opinion is not just an opinion but a valuable business sense that you have yet to acquire.

TPLawnPro
06-01-2007, 05:14 AM
And so is yours.. I think we can agree to disagree on this one.

Absolutely. We'll have to have a beer some time. :drinkup:

TPLawnPro
06-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Oh you do do ya? Then why didn't the guy come out and knock you off your mower and beat the living crap out of you for waking him up? I mean...that IS the way you in the south handle your situations right?:cool2:
His opinion is not just an opinion but a valuable business sense that you have yet to acquire.

You've got the wrong guy here. This incident didn't happen to me, but the original poster. Get your $.h.i.t. straight.

razor1
06-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Give him a copy of the help wanted ads and tell him that you're just trying to help. :laugh:

this says it all...........
http://www.timburtoncollective.com/sound/mars6.wav

Poncho25
06-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Ok all, here's the latest. Apparently this guy is going through a nasty divorce and he gets his 2 kids on Tuesdays and apparently they stay up late on Tuesday nights and sleep in on Wednesday's (which is the day I am on this route). My client actually sent me an e-mail advising me this...so what would you do? Currently this house is the furthest house on that route so I hit it 1st and make my way back, would you guys hit the other places 1st to appease this guy and now it seems my client is on his side...as he gave me the last line of guilt "I hate to put a damper on his only time with his kids."

TPLawnPro
06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Well now you can respect their situation. This time their predicament was explained to you, unlike the initial confrontation when that jacka$$ just stormed out at you.

When people pay me respect, I kill em' with kindness.

fiveoboy01
06-13-2007, 01:29 AM
OK, but I still don't see how this guys personal problems become YOUR problems.

It's all fine and dandy and a nice sob story, but you've got a business to run.

I'd say TRY to accomodate the guy if possible. If not, continue on.

zero
06-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Ok all, here's the latest. Apparently this guy is going through a nasty divorce and he gets his 2 kids on Tuesdays and apparently they stay up late on Tuesday nights and sleep in on Wednesday's (which is the day I am on this route). My client actually sent me an e-mail advising me this...so what would you do? Currently this house is the furthest house on that route so I hit it 1st and make my way back, would you guys hit the other places 1st to appease this guy and now it seems my client is on his side...as he gave me the last line of guilt "I hate to put a damper on his only time with his kids."

maybe cut him a little slack. I have been in his position and it truly does suck, put yourself in his shoes and the answer is clear. put out a little good karma now , and what goes around comes around

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
maybe cut him a little slack. I have been in his position and it truly does suck, put yourself in his shoes and the answer is clear. put out a little good karma now , and what goes around comes around

Yeah well he has a business to run. What next? someone has a dog that hates the sound of mowers so I have to run my equip at half throttle to keep the dog from going berzerk. I say the man needs to grow up and realize the world does not cater to him. Which is probably why he is getting divorced. He probably had the same attitude with his wife. Got mad at her for vacuuming and cleaning while he sits drinks beer and watches the ball game.

I say if he says something again tell him to go fly a kite. And if he doesnt like that Tell him he can call the cops.

Poncho25
06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Well i do appreciate all your thoughts on this, but being that my client asked me also I made this account my 2nd stop so that puts me there at around 9am which to me is more then enough time to get out of bed. If this is not good enough for them, then I don't know what to say...

XtreemGreen
06-13-2007, 11:22 PM
Well i do appreciate all your thoughts on this, but being that my client asked me also I made this account my 2nd stop so that puts me there at around 9am which to me is more then enough time to get out of bed. If this is not good enough for them, then I don't know what to say...

Does that mean we can move your first Thursday account to 2nd or 3rd, since the front yard is like a swamp?

HFS
06-14-2007, 09:54 PM
You should tell him the best way to spend time with his kids is awake and doing things. NOT sleeping! :sleeping: I would let the client know that they may face a price increase due to loss productivity and that their currant price is based on the most economical route possible. Be sure to let them know this is saving them money. Plus you give in this time, and then the next, and next, and so on. What good is procedure if you don't follow it? LATER...

daysel
06-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I just tell them to **** off and ignore him.
I have a chl for the physical ones.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Man on man! Reading down through these posts I was thinking that fiveoboy01 hit the nail right on the head with his statements. And then I come across sheshovel's post (above) ... and I LOVE it.

Sometimes reading Lawnsite really helps me have a better day!

Hope all you Fathers have a GREAT Fathers Day today! :weightlifter: