PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating Startup

sctilt
05-30-2007, 12:56 PM
OK guys...need some input. I have been working for mowing business for a couple years and want to start my own in the northeast. Could use some suggestions regarding best ways to purchase equip. new or used and the best way to quote lawns as well as any other helpful info. Any and all help much appreciated. Sorry if this question has been asked before...Thanx

KS_Grasscutter
05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
My advice, honestly, is don't do it...

Ok, hit post before I finished typing...
anyway. If you do, start with smaller, preferably used equipment and work your way up. Or maybe start with a new 21" and a used 36 or 48" WB. That would be a pretty efficienet setup IMO. Get GOOD trimmers and edgers, dont waste money on Home Depot crap. Don't go spending lots of money on big ZTRs just because thats what all the other guys have (thats what I did, and really regret it now becaue I am making like zero untill that gets paid for). Good luck.

AJ Lawnscapes
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Could be like me.

Grandfather found me an 88 GMC S15 for free. I have a 30" Ariens Rider 10HP that I bought 2 years ago for $100. Just got a free 36" Murray 11HP during spring clean-up. Borrowing Paps weedwacker and blower.

Then I have all the other stuff that I need, just built some ramps with 2x8x8 with ramparts from Tractor Supply. Rakes, Tools, Misc stuff, couple gas cans.

Went a got some Avery 8871 10 persheet Business cards and printed them out using Avery.com online templates.

Placed a few ads, got some calls, and word of mouth. Up to 4 customers so far, 2 are for mowing. 2 are for landscaping.

Hope this helps. Just a reminder that it doesn't take much, just a little $$ flow and dedication.

Oh, and I go to college and work from 3-12 everyday.

--Abe