PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Design...Getting better!!

chunkitron3030
05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey guys, as you all know I am still somewhat new to the world of Landscape Design. What I wanted to know was what you guys are thinking of my work so far. Also, I was wanting to get an idea as to if I was working where you do, at your company say, about what would I be making moneywise? I want to know because I am curious as to if I should be getting paid more, if I am fine, or making more than usual. Right now I am making about 28,500 a year on salary. I dont get paid a commission on the designs I do for the sales guys, so thats kind of a bummer. Anyways, let me know what you guys think on both of my questions, thanks for all the support so far!!

Top View:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/chunkitron3030/Work%20Drawings/Schmitt004.jpg
Concept Closeup:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/chunkitron3030/Work%20Drawings/Schmitt003.jpg
Full View Conecpt:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/chunkitron3030/Work%20Drawings/HPIM0848.jpg

PaperCutter
05-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Good on you for the improvements. Your perspectives are still a little funky but your shading is looking better. Biggest recommendation I have is to use circle templates and/ or a compass for your bigger shapes like patios, walks and bed edges- they'll look crisper and cleaner than freehanding it especially if you work it so that the radii hit tangent.

Oh, and in the bottom rendering, the shrubs on the right are way darker on the top than the middle or bottom. Always pick where the "sun" is, stay consistent and stay realistic.

Nice improvements. You're getting there.

Dave

PatriotLandscape
05-30-2007, 08:38 PM
the buildings are great looking but the out of perspective landscaping take away from the look of it.

Focal Point Landscapes
05-31-2007, 12:42 AM
I agree with both comments , but obviously a lot of potential in your work.

PaperCutter
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
With the row of bushes along the walk to the gazebo, are you trying to screen something?

chunkitron3030
05-31-2007, 01:10 PM
no, the only thing being accomplished is dividing the yard up into 2 different sections. they appear to be close because at that angle, thats what they would look like.

Harley-D
05-31-2007, 05:00 PM
I like the rendering and the lettering but be careful of the size and be sure that it is readable. Also, the complexity of the letter can take away from the drawing which defeats the purpose. MHO:)

The drawing would pull an easy $500-600 here. But usually the job warrants the extent of the design. You wouldn't spend 12 hours on a design for a $6000 job.

Also, i don't think you need to label your plan view. It should be self explanatory. (No need for "top")

Your perspective drawings are really good. Looks like you have experience architecturally. But the other guy was right. The buildings look good but the landscape looks a little skewed. (last drawing) Not sure why, but the gazeebo perspective looks better.

I've been doing drawings for guys locally here in va for about 4-5 years now(not an expert but 4.5 yrs at penn state helped) and i don't think i've rendered one. Basically, because i didn't want to spend the time if something needed changed. I also stick to plan views but if you can do perspectives quickly, they add alot.

I would label your drawing a master plan. Totally finished and ready to be presented to the client. I would call what i typically do-plan view with planting labels and list, construction diagram, uncolored and done in pencil-a conceptual drawing. Based on the concepts i received from the client and contractor.

I don't think you should make less than $50/hr. I don't and have never had a single complaint. I'll let the contractor know about how much it will be when we go over the job at the site.

Keep up the good work.:weightlifter:
Didn't see the first one but this one is real good. :waving: